Petco/Petsmart exposed!

ChamDE86

Avid Member
I just read that Petco/Petsmart is discontinuing their relationship with its pet supplier due to animal abuse. I don't think any of this comes as a surprise to any of us, given how we've seen the treatment of animals at our own local Petco. If anything, I honestly believe they knew all of this was going on, so to hear that they are dumping their supplier doesn't change how I feel about them. For those who have been around for a while...is this major news involving Petco/Petsmart, or has it happened before and nothing has been done about it?

***WARNING: DISTURBING IMAGES IN VIDEO****

Please don't assume that a business always knows what is going on with suppliers. If that were the case, one of the largest egg suppliers (supplied some of the largest restaurant and retail/grocery chains) would not have made the news for animal abuse. A video surfaced with employees doing unimaginable things to the birds and such giants as McDonalds, Target and many, many others immediately stopped doing business with them. The business is now gone, and the retailers did do the right thing. That does not totally exonerate corporations from responsibility, but please put the blame where it belongs. You do not have to like Petco or Petsmart, but those should be two different situations. Of course, that is my opinion about it, and I am all for corporations making unannounced visits to suppliers to ensure quality control and just as importantly ethical practices.

I feel this was horrible, but lets not forget organizations like PETA have their own agenda. If they had their way no one would have a pet, or eat meat. However that doesn't excuse abuse by any means just a cautionary concern that's all.

I just read that Petco/Petsmart is discontinuing their relationship with its pet supplier due to animal abuse. I don't think any of this comes as a surprise to any of us, given how we've seen the treatment of animals at our own local Petco. If anything, I honestly believe they knew all of this was going on, so to hear that they are dumping their supplier doesn't change how I feel about them. For those who have been around for a while...is this major news involving Petco/Petsmart, or has it happened before and nothing has been done about it?

***WARNING: DISTURBING IMAGES IN VIDEO****

I can't believe they only use one supplier. This might only apply to a producer supplying them with snake-feeder rodents. Who knows. Still no excuse to mistreat the animals at all.

The problem with stories like this is shown in the original YouTube video I am talking about...

Also, Caution, graphic...
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...vtojdg&usg=AFQjCNFnJpEbM9xpGwsZkuZo8pxT6ZMuGg
This video starts with ominous background music and chicken noises that may or may not be edited for drama (likely added for sensationalism) and images of birds flapping their wings "wildly" in seemingly deplorable conditions. I looked past all that and focused on the idiot that is shown swinging a bird around on a rope and I knew that all the other crap that was added was not necessary. The people who released this did do a good service by exposing animal cruelty, but were they really genuine in their efforts? I don't know, but I am skeptical because of the presentation. I am glad that Sparboe Farms was exposed, but again, I wish someone would have asked Target to send someone in for an unannounced visit. That would have been a motive few could question.

I feel this was horrible, but lets not forget organizations like PETA have their own agenda. If they had their way no one would have a pet, or eat meat. However that doesn't excuse abuse by any means just a cautionary concern that's all.

This. I'm not a nut when I say this, I dated somebody from PETA a long time ago. They have a long term goal of none of you even being able to afford or find a dog for a pet. Now while that seems impossible, think on all the less popular pets out there and what their goals are. Zealots will use laws to force others to conform to their beliefs.

I hit post without realizing I forgot this....

One way the PETA people know they can effect change on our pets is by limiting or eliminating their food supplies. If you can't buy rodents, you can't feed your snakes. If you can't buy dog food (too expensive or hard to find) you have a much harder time keeping one. How is dog food involved? Comes down to the price of chicken......

Please don't assume that a business always knows what is going on with suppliers. If that were the case, one of the largest egg suppliers (supplied some of the largest restaurant and retail/grocery chains) would not have made the news for animal abuse. A video surfaced with employees doing unimaginable things to the birds and such giants as McDonalds, Target and many, many others immediately stopped doing business with them. The business is now gone, and the retailers did do the right thing. That does not totally exonerate corporations from responsibility, but please put the blame where it belongs. You do not have to like Petco or Petsmart, but those should be two different situations. Of course, that is my opinion about it, and I am all for corporations making unannounced visits to suppliers to ensure quality control and just as importantly ethical practices.

I am usually not one to assume anything, but I find it difficult to believe that Petco was clueless in the matter. I hope this brings more light into Petco's treatment of their animals. Maybe something positive will come out of all this, maybe not.

Absolutely agree 100% with you on PETA having their own agenda. I guess I'm hoping that this will bring change to how animals are being cared for in these local pet stores since they "do not support" animal abuse from their suppliers.

don't kid yourself....if the suppliers weren't exposed I'm sure the companies would have continued doing business with them because they probably were getting the product very cheap. They only react because the public found out and then need to portray themselves as caring. They rarely ever are proactive in these matters.

My UVB bulbs I bought at Petco were very weak for UVB. I brought them to a reptile store and they tested them. I had been using one for 3 months. It concerns me. I told lady to please not put them back on shelf. She was gonna put them out anyway. Said they were fine.

As a vegetarian (in the process of going vegan), I hate any animal suffering. That video was heartbreaking to watch. I am so glad I stopped shopping there! No living creature should be treated under those conditions.

don't kid yourself....if the suppliers weren't exposed I'm sure the companies would have continued doing business with them because they probably were getting the product very cheap. They only react because the public found out and then need to portray themselves as caring. They rarely ever are proactive in these matters.

So, and I don't usually like talking about these things on this forum, if I am to understand what I am reading, you have some type of information that would support this claim? Please do not make claims based on what they probably are doing. Too many people accept these claims as fact and it is a favorite way the main-stream media can further their agenda.
I can tell you first hand about the egg situation having my business directly effected by it, and do you know what the reality is? Most of the people would say how terrible it was that these animals were treated this way, but in the same breath they were even more concerned that we didn't have their eggs. We didn't sell out these eggs and then say sorry, and make a profit, we donated them all to local food banks and took the loss. I'm pretty sure that is what the other chains did as well. There was little or no thanks for my company taking a stand against what had been "exposed" and an outright anger that the other suppliers couldn't instantly fill the demand for those major companies that still had to run a business. I know what my cost per carton was, and I know in the grocery business the markup is minimal, so I would not agree with you. We live in a society where the Big, Bad, Rich business could never do what is the right thing because all they care about is money. It is sad that companies like Whole Foods are attacked by the main stream media for doing such terrible things in the name of greed, when the fact is that they have done more to change the way we live than most know. Have you seen all the fast food menus changing lately? Do you think that is happening because its cheaper? It is due to our choices as consumers.

Back
Top Bottom