Peeve rant

Very well said @MissSkittles & @Beman
I'm probably guilty as well. Although I don't ask people to fill out husbandry forms. I probably comment to much on other things. I don't know if my simple conversations on post or maybe I overly compliment. I'm not sure, but I'll try to be less annoying. & although I've learned alot. & i can proudly tell someone what they would need to house a chameleon. I don't completely feel comfortable telling everyone what they have wrong. Especially when so many people come through.. so I normally leave a compliment. But that might be in the way so I'll try to not do so many.

Sorry if I've annoyed anyone at all! & I'm glad to be apart of the Chamily.

I'm probably guilty as well. Although I don't ask people to fill out husbandry forms. I probably comment to much on other things. I don't know if my simple conversations on post or maybe I overly compliment. I'm not sure, but I'll try to be less annoying. & although I've learned alot. & i can proudly tell someone what they would need to house a chameleon. I don't completely feel comfortable telling everyone what they have wrong. Especially when so many people come through.. so I normally leave a compliment. But that might be in the way so I'll try to not do so many.

You’re not annoying anyone! Your doing good to!

No. Don't change being you. You do not over compliment or over comment. That's what the forums for.

Your not annoying at all!!! You lift people hearts compliments can literally change peoples day and life I’ve experienced it

I highly suspect my intention has been getting misinterpreted, and for that I’m saddened. I love this community, all of it’s members and all the varied conversations about ourselves, our lives and whatever else we choose to share. Don’t stop being who you all are. Please!
My intention is to try and promote all of us to think about what we are saying to a brand new member so that we don’t frighten them away. It’s a reminder of the golden rule…treat others as you would want to be treated.
I‘d also hoped to encourage and empower those who have much to offer but for whatever reasons, lack the self confidence to do so. If you know enough to identify that the op/newb is doing something wrong or needs help, you know enough to help them with those things. Basically, I want you to give yourself some credit where it’s due.
It’s a truly beautiful thing when a newb with a cham kit and Petco baby comes for help, receives that help, learns and grows into a great keeper and passes on the help and kindness that they received. Only about 2 years ago that’s very close to where I was with my Grumpy. Had I been scared away, she would have died and so perhaps would any of the chameleon’s of anyone who I may have helped.
So, please keep being your wonderful selves. Keep learning. Keep sharing. Keep on being you.
Man, I feel like I need Mr Roger’s here.

I highly suspect my intention has been getting misinterpreted, and for that I’m saddened. I love this community, all of it’s members and all the varied conversations about ourselves, our lives and whatever else we choose to share. Don’t stop being who you all are. Please!
My intention is to try and promote all of us to think about what we are saying to a brand new member so that we don’t frighten them away. It’s a reminder of the golden rule…treat others as you would want to be treated.
I‘d also hoped to encourage and empower those who have much to offer but for whatever reasons, lack the self confidence to do so. If you know enough to identify that the op/newb is doing something wrong or needs help, you know enough to help them with those things. Basically, I want you to give yourself some credit where it’s due.
It’s a truly beautiful thing when a newb with a cham kit and Petco baby comes for help, receives that help, learns and grows into a great keeper and passes on the help and kindness that they received. Only about 2 years ago that’s very close to where I was with my Grumpy. Had I been scared away, she would have died and so perhaps would any of the chameleon’s of anyone who I may have helped.
So, please keep being your wonderful selves. Keep learning. Keep sharing. Keep on being you.
Man, I feel like I need Mr Roger’s here.

Thankyou

I think everyone is automatically thinking that your being called out. Telling someone they have a beautiful cham is not a bad thing. Having side conversations in a help thread that derail the thread is not a good thing. These are very different situations.

Being mindful of the other keepers that are in a help thread with you is important. If you see someone with more experience than you trying to get a point across and you come in and your leading in another way this gets confusing for an OP. I will add that I have been guilty of this recently because I was on my phone and did not scroll up. I did not realize there was another more experienced member there trying to give more spot on feedback. So remember to scroll up and see who else is in the thread with you.

Speaking for myself and myself only. I do not comment in help threads if I do not know what it could be or know the issues. So if I am there it is because I am trying to help with something. Having that over ridden is really not helpful at all. Not to mention conflicting feedback does not promote an environment where the OP wants to keep trying to talk to us.

Per the help forms... Once yall are at a level of skill where you can do them as well you will understand why we do not tell everyone to fill one out. It is not easy. It is knowing different supplements, male vs female needs, lighting info, adding links, BUT most importantly it is adding complete and thorough feedback rather than all one liners that do not fully explain something. THIS takes time. The follow up takes time. You will not understand until you get the husbandry completely down but also learn about the many variables as well. Start reading through our feedback in forms. This is how I started learning really quickly.

Right now the people that I see doing help forms most frequently is myself, @MissSkittles, and @ERKleRose. So there are basically 3 of us to do all the filled out help forms along with all the follow up alerts that come from them. @kinyonga is doing them and also in a ton of threads providing feedback. She is one of the people I always tag in because she knows far more than I do.

So I think the overall point that @MissSkittles was trying to get across was really to please be mindful of what you are posting and how you are speaking to others. Not to make you all feel bad. The only way this forum works is with the many helping the few that are brave enough to post. We support each other not ourselves.

I think everyone is automatically thinking that your being called out. Telling someone they have a beautiful cham is not a bad thing. Having side conversations in a help thread that derail the thread is not a good thing. These are very different situations.

Being mindful of the other keepers that are in a help thread with you is important. If you see someone with more experience than you trying to get a point across and you come in and your leading in another way this gets confusing for an OP. I will add that I have been guilty of this recently because I was on my phone and did not scroll up. I did not realize there was another more experienced member there trying to give more spot on feedback. So remember to scroll up and see who else is in the thread with you.

Speaking for myself and myself only. I do not comment in help threads if I do not know what it could be or know the issues. So if I am there it is because I am trying to help with something. Having that over ridden is really not helpful at all. Not to mention conflicting feedback does not promote an environment where the OP wants to keep trying to talk to us.

Per the help forms... Once yall are at a level of skill where you can do them as well you will understand why we do not tell everyone to fill one out. It is not easy. It is knowing different supplements, male vs female needs, lighting info, adding links, BUT most importantly it is adding complete and thorough feedback rather than all one liners that do not fully explain something. THIS takes time. The follow up takes time. You will not understand until you get the husbandry completely down but also learn about the many variables as well. Start reading through our feedback in forms. This is how I started learning really quickly.

Right now the people that I see doing help forms most frequently is myself, @MissSkittles, and @ERKleRose. So there are basically 3 of us to do all the filled out help forms along with all the follow up alerts that come from them. @kinyonga is doing them and also in a ton of threads providing feedback. She is one of the people I always tag in because she knows far more than I do.

So I think the overall point that @MissSkittles was trying to get across was really to please be mindful of what you are posting and how you are speaking to others. Not to make you all feel bad. The only way this forum works is with the many helping the few that are brave enough to post. We support each other not ourselves.
Well said

@Beman said...."@kinyonga is doing them and also in a ton of threads providing feedback. She is one of the people I always tag in because she knows far more than I do"...you know more about the lighting than I do and I still have more to learn. I also appreciate that you and a few others who know who they are answer the how to ask for help questions...it takes a load off me! So thanks to all of you!

@MissSkittles said..."Each and every member brings in their own unique set of skills, worth and perspective. Whether someone truly researched all things chameleon for many years before actually getting one, or impulsively bought the cute baby cham from chain pet store, we all started at the beginning. Let’s please be kind and compassionate to each other and actively contribute our strengths to making our community a positive place of celebrating, learning about and sharing our love for chameleons." ....well said!

Also...we can't help people if we chase them away....so it's important to be helpful without being judgemental.

Good thread! We all need reminding if these things...including me!

I think that @MissSkittles is addressing some issues that she has been noticing. Everyone is going to have their own opinions, so I am going to offer mine!

Point 1- I personally agree, chameleon care for learners is overwhelming as it is. It probably doesn't help that a huge form is sometimes thrown at them first off. Only issue the form if needed. Take a moment to connect with the member, don't push them away. Not all people that have their first chameleon are doing it incorrectly, and just might be curious about certain things.

Point two- Just because the person is incorrectly caring for their chameleon does not mean it will die. If the member is not willing or able to make changes, then that may bring issues. But, if changes and help are brought to this chameleon's lifestyle, then their life is benefiting.

Point three- Agreed, that sometimes giving the chameleon to another person is needed. Depends on if the person can give the chameleon the proper care or not. Just because things may have started off rocky does not mean things cant change. Change is a part of what makes the forums, the forums.

Point 4- I only reply to threads if I feel like I can help in any way. So I understand where your coming from!

I would also like to add to try to word things nicely instead of immediately telling them everything is wrong. Wording things nicely and offering help and support is so much better than just coming in hot immediately with this or that is wrong, no greetings or niceties or resources added to help them fix it

Great post @MissSkittles (y)

For myself I only try to react to a thread, if I think I can bring something in. And of-course not being native English speaking and the time difference makes me less responsive to threads. That said, I love hanging around here and seeing the good things everyone does for others and the animals.

From my side (well from other side of the ocean) a big 💗 to all of you!

Sun Life Love GIF by Sun Life Malaysia

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom