Partial clear solid partial screened enclosure

2F3C3275-44B3-4C06-8A5C-A48BC1A4CFD1.jpeg
I often leave both doors open as well, when the temperature allows.
F6DEB0A5-194B-46D7-82F9-DD05DF3A51C4.jpeg
D0B14FEC-5425-46AF-9C27-B43B7194993E.jpeg

Your second problem is size. That enclosure isn’t large enough for an adult. If you read you’ll see all glass enclosures are typically ok for babies but once they get older go mesh. And an adult will need much more room to be comfortable

It’s a better footprint 3 feet across, plenty of room. I free range often as well.

I cup feed so substrate is no issue. Bare boring setups don’t simulate the wild. Did the standard screen cages for years. Not disputing what works for others just wanted a challenge and living vivarium art piece.

Substrate at the bottom is also no good. I’d do some more research and rethink your setup
Depends on the substrate. The man-made substrate we often use, like coco fiber, causes many impactions because it is unnatural. Cup feeding is considered the way to avoid impactions, but you also have to consider vitamin and mineral intake.

It’s a better footprint 3 feet across, plenty of room. I free range often as well.

I cup feed so substrate is no issue. Bare boring setups don’t simulate the wild. Did the standard screen cages for years. Not disputing what works for others just wanted a challenge and living vivarium art piece.
Do you have microfauna? I would recommend some more foliage, and different plants, which Josh's Frogs sells for good prices, just that most of them start small. If you want to try to mimic the natural environment, I would do some research on Madagascan (or whatever country your chameleon comes from) natural environments, and native plants to get a good feel on what you want. I don't think having the doors open is necessary, unless you see it necessary depending on your household and environmental conditions. There are 2 amazing podcast episodes on the Chameleon Breeder Podcast if you haven't seen them about bioactive setups.

Depends on the substrate. The man-made substrate we often use, like coco fiber, causes many impactions because it is unnatural. Cup feeding is considered the way to avoid impactions, but you also have to consider vitamin and mineral intake.

I was thinking more because of moisture/drainage. Easy for mold to grow in substrate. Bacteria also grows much easier.

Here's my attempt at temporary happiness. Mister gets in this week and I'm upgrading to a new cage here in the next 2 months., either the dragonstrand one or the exotic Terra high class one. Possibly custom made one.

Attachments

• 20180205_093609.jpg
    20180205_093609.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 98
  • 20180205_093609.jpg
    20180205_093609.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 91
  • 20180205_093609.jpg
    20180205_093609.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 95
  • 20180205_093609.jpg
    20180205_093609.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 119
  • 20180205_093609.jpg
    20180205_093609.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 93
Here's a pic of just his enclosure. More foliage than this? I feel like his cage is stuffed full.

Attachments

• 20180128_173452.jpg
    20180128_173452.jpg
    288.9 KB · Views: 125
He could use some in the top front.
How's this?

Just installed my new MistKing system tonight. Things got rearranged so he's on the screen right now. Lol. I know I have the humidity good in there now, my house is starting to feel like a jungle with the humidity. I def need and want the Exo Terra high glass terrarium. Get it all bio active and customize it myself. CANT WAIT! in the meantime tho, I'm pretty positive my guy has everything he needs to thrive.

Attachments

• 1518140810545457663419.jpg
    1518140810545457663419.jpg
    377.6 KB · Views: 118
I use the largest Exo terra glass cage offered for an adult panther chameleon. I have to admit, I feel he is a little cramped at times, but I have a large outdoor enclosure for him in the summers. The glass terrarium is amazing. I’ve never had an issue with stagnant air or URI’s. I utilize bioactive substrate with lots of microfauna and tons of bugs (springtails, isopods, BSFL, giant mealworms). I have a drainage layer, and have never needed to drain it. The misting system works well, but all the plants require weekly pruning and watering. I absolutly stand by my decision to go bioactive. The best part of the cage is the smell. I’ve raised dozens of species of reptile, and they’ve all had terrible smelling enclosures. The bioactive smell is amazing though. Sticking my head in the cage to prune or move stuff, it really smells like I’m in a rainforest, it’s humid, fresh, and I feel my chameleon really loves it.

I use the largest Exo terra glass cage offered for an adult panther chameleon. I have to admit, I feel he is a little cramped at times, but I have a large outdoor enclosure for him in the summers. The glass terrarium is amazing. I’ve never had an issue with stagnant air or URI’s. I utilize bioactive substrate with lots of microfauna and tons of bugs (springtails, isopods, BSFL, giant mealworms). I have a drainage layer, and have never needed to drain it. The misting system works well, but all the plants require weekly pruning and watering. I absolutly stand by my decision to go bioactive. The best part of the cage is the smell. I’ve raised dozens of species of reptile, and they’ve all had terrible smelling enclosures. The bioactive smell is amazing though. Sticking my head in the cage to prune or move stuff, it really smells like I’m in a rainforest, it’s humid, fresh, and I feel my chameleon really loves it.

Did you go with a specific kit or just do your research and put everything together?

Could you post a pic of your enclosure please? I love seeing people's set ups.

Back
Top Bottom