Parsons natural habitat, much different than other chams?

jamest0o0

Chameleon Enthusiast
I was just looking up weather information again for ranomafana(where I believe my yellow lip is from) because i suspected the room he is in was getting too warm, especially at night. While he doesn't seem all that bothered by the temps, I'd still like to keep things in more natural ranges.

So I'm looking through the weather data and wow do they live in humidity. Normal ranges being around the mid 80s for %, with daily rain/downpours. We get confused by 'dry' season, it seems to just be more on the reasonable side of rain. Not daily downpours, but not dry either. Their temps during summer are high 70s to mid 80s it seems with cooler nights around 60ish.

These guys really live in the more typical rainforest(with cooler temperatures). I've looked up this before so the temps don't surprise me, but I didn't realize their humidity stayed so high all year long(summer I figured, but even during the winter)

I was just looking up weather information again for ranomafana(where I believe my yellow lip is from) because i suspected the room he is in was getting too warm, especially at night. While he doesn't seem all that bothered by the temps, I'd still like to keep things in more natural ranges.

So I'm looking through the weather data and wow do they live in humidity. Normal ranges being around the mid 80s for %, with daily rain/downpours. We get confused by 'dry' season, it seems to just be more on the reasonable side of rain. Not daily downpours, but not dry either. Their temps during summer are high 70s to mid 80s it seems with cooler nights around 60ish.

These guys really live in the more typical rainforest(with cooler temperatures). I've looked up this before so the temps don't surprise me, but I didn't realize their humidity stayed so high all year long(summer I figured, but even during the winter)
We have to keep in mind that madagascar is a rapidly changing place aswell. just a couple of years ago some ofrest ares have been cout diwn changing by alot how shade, cold and humid those places where, how much wind and draft can be found there. The date we may have been seeing may not be in the mirco climates experience by them now where they are or before when the places weren´t cut down yet.

We have to keep in mind that madagascar is a rapidly changing place aswell. just a couple of years ago some ofrest ares have been cout diwn changing by alot how shade, cold and humid those places where, how much wind and draft can be found there. The date we may have been seeing may not be in the mirco climates experience by them now where they are or before when the places weren´t cut down yet.
I've heard this argument for veileds as well and I agree it makes sense

80% humidity doesn’t sound very high when you are from Maryland :p
80% during the day is pretty high, even for tropical standards. Nights are probably at 100 easy. The whole east coast is super humid and even then the most humid state(FL, alaska) still are almost 10% lower than that.

I've heard this argument for veileds as well and I agree it makes sense
I think it´s more so when we sea large forest areas transform into savanas or sparecly trees and vegetations, the ability to keep shade and cold and reflect back heat and light would be dramaticaly changed when cut down, compared to the bushes where Yemens may live in.

80% during the day is pretty high, even for tropical standards. Nights are probably at 100 easy. The whole east coast is super humid and even then the most humid state(FL, alaska) still are almost 10% lower than that.

I was kidding - but for whatever reason, 80% humidity is not common in Md in mid summer. Its miserable when we get it…. But I was just throwing in my generally unhelpful comment/joke.

I was kidding - but for whatever reason, 80% humidity is not common in Md in mid summer. Its miserable when we get it…. But I was just throwing in my generally unhelpful comment/joke.
No, I know lol. I was just saying that to express how crazy it seems that Parsons live in a place where the humidity is nearly 100 all year long. That's nothing like what most cham species seem to experience. And I know the east coast gets very humid, I was surprised it was still 10 percentage or so less.

I always kept my parsons cooler but now days it seems allot of people just stick them in a cage like they do all their other chameleons. 😱 I’m happy to see that you care and still researching.
Yeah honestly, it seems the temperatures and ventilation are more important than the humidity, given that water is available in some form and the humidity isn't bone dry. Like I have my guy around 40-50% during the day and then a fogger at night and some long showers. Nothing has indicated he isn't well hydrated and he acts completely normal. I've heard, and seen based off this guy, that yellow lips tolerate warmer temps a bit more. I still don't want the ambient to be around 90 everyday though. My night temps have been hanging in the high 70s past few nights too which is way too high IMO, going to put a fan or AC in.

Back
Top Bottom