Parson's Chameleon scare

So I was browsing through google images at Parson's Chameleons because I think they are so beautiful and just a magnificent species, when I came across this picture.
Now any time I see pictures of animals that have been neglected or harmed by the arrogance of man it infuriates me. :mad: I get so mad at people who purchase pets spur of the moment without taking the time to properly research and get the right setup before bringing an animal home.
So I clicked on the picture hoping to get some answers as to why it looks so unhealthy, skinny, dehydrated, and malnourished.
Come to find out its a freakin plastic toy. :eek:

chameleon-parsons.jpg

Seriously!! Like what kid is going to enjoy playing with a starved looking plastic chameleon. I guess if they didn't know any better they might just think that's what they are supposed to look like.

Ha! That's a great story! Good to know you're always on the alert and ready for action, though!

Deb

not to freak ya out, but I would almost bet that is a mold made from a real dead one, I sculpt, and I have seen many fish items, and they are cast from molds made w/ the dead fish - its very common ~ I am glad you posted that you got fooled, I would have done something like that too- :p and its always good to be able to laugh at yourself :D

not to freak ya out, but I would almost bet that is a mold made from a real dead one, I sculpt, and I have seen many fish items, and they are cast from molds made w/ the dead fish - its very common ~ I am glad you posted that you got fooled, I would have done something like that too- :p and its always good to be able to laugh at yourself :D

That would explain why they made it so gnarly looking. Before I got to the last sentence I was trying to figure out how it would even be possible to know where to get one without having read about their care, if only by accident haha

That would explain why they made it so gnarly looking. Before I got to the last sentence I was trying to figure out how it would even be possible to know where to get one without having read about their care, if only by accident haha

My thoughts exactly. Which was why I was so interested in finding out why it was so starved. I just thought "there's no way someone would spend such a large sum, only to fall short in husbandry." It really had me goin though at first.

This is a old thread but just yesterday I went to my local reptile show shopping for supply and guess who was there it's more creepier in person..:eek: IMG_0549.JPG

Last edited:
I happen to know a little about that sick looking toy. It's been around a long time.

Littleleaf is actually almost on the money. A very sick import that was supposedly 'healthy' was used for that sculpt. No the animal didn't make it I was told. The idiot who made that toy had no clue about Chameleons, or even reptiles, when it was made and like the internet, once it's out there it stays out there.

However something good can come from this:

To those of you new to keeping these animals, that sick looking Parson toy is what a lot of the imports looked like back in my day. JP here on these forums saved one that was nearly the match for that toy just recently. So if you're new, and you don't believe any of the horror stories from us old timers who tell you to stop re-inventing the wheel with mistakes like using glass tanks, crappy supplements, the wrong lights, no your chameleon doesn't like being handled and it hates you, we've seen the horrors and we're just trying to stop you all from making the same old mistakes we made. . . like the mistakes that caused a Parson to come off a plane looking like that toy.

Back
Top Bottom