Parson's Chameleon Attacked by Rat

I've always hated rodents, this makes me hate them even more.

Rodents are really just the scum of the earth, no matter how "sweet" some people think they are. I know they are vital to the ecosystem but really, they are horrible creatures that just eat EVERYTHING.

Poor girl, I'm so glad she is making a good recovery. I hope it stays that way. I would wish the same for any other chameleon too.]

Good luck parsons girl.

I've always hated rodents, this makes me hate them even more.

Rodents are really just the scum of the earth, no matter how "sweet" some people think they are. I know they are vital to the ecosystem but really, they are horrible creatures that just eat EVERYTHING.

Poor girl, I'm so glad she is making a good recovery. I hope it stays that way. I would wish the same for any other chameleon too.]

Good luck parsons girl.
My family has had rats in my life and they are just sweet hearts. It's only certain ones that are evil. Unless your buy one breed for pets, they will poop, pee, and chew everything. The pet ones are actually kind, loving, and rarely misbehave. I'm guessing you were kind of exaggerating but it just bothers me when people get the wrong idea about rats. I'm not saying it was ok for this incident, that rat I'm guessing wasn't entirely pet trains, hence it's horrible behavior. But anyways, good to know she's recovering.

I'm glad the damage wasn't worse, luckily the rats were just tasting and not outright attacking. It is a good thing she found someone with experience and time to care for her! Good job.

Rats are horrid little beasts and nearly impossible to really keep out. They can gnaw through wood, burrow under ground, and are all in all intelligent.

Any large outdoor enclosure should have a concrete base, thick gauge wire (12 or 14 is usually sufficient) with 1/2 inch spaces and one needs to make sure the animal in the enclosure can't sleep touching any outside wire. I have experience with aviaries of which rats are the biggest threat, I imagine outdoor chameleons are the same. If anyone wants a lot of detail on predator proofing outdoor enclosures nobody has more experience than chicken people. Check out chicken coop designs and such for great tips. I read online chicken communities just for ideas that relate to general husbandry.

Job well done Kent. Only just now saw this story.

Dan, you touched on what caught me the most. I read this in Kent's OP:

.......but whatever it was chewed an appropriately sized hole through pvc-coated wire mesh to get into the cage.

And was quite alarmed at the notion that a rat would chew through any steel wire. I deal with rats all the time, especially in the cooler months, as they attempt to occupy my bug building. I am familiar with their ability to go through any wood or plastic, aluminum screen, etc. But through PVC coated wire mesh, I would not have expected. In fact, I am inclined to believe that a rat cannot do it. Not that this damage was not done by a rat, but rather that I cannot yet grasp what Kent was told about the means of entry. I would have recommended PVC coated wire as an adequate protection against such as rats.

Edit in: I have just gone to several sites after a Google search, and the consensus seems to be that such as 1/4" hardware cloth is a more than adequate deterrent against rats. I realize it is only a detail to the issue, but as I talk with folks about outdoor caging all the time, and know many large reptile breeders here in Florida where we all have various outdoor caging challenges, I am unfamiliar with rats going through wire mesh.

Edit #2: This is what I am reading pretty consistently:

Don't use chicken wire for your coop or run: chicken wire is not a barrier to predators. Most predators can tear through it like tissue paper, and rats can bite through the thin wire as if their teeth were wire cutters. Some smaller rats will simply squeeze through the holes. Chicken wire should only be used to keep chickens in, not to keep predators out. Instead, use hardware cloth, and be sure to provide a small mesh for best protection (1/2" or 1/4").

Last edited:
My family has had rats in my life and they are just sweet hearts. It's only certain ones that are evil. Unless your buy one breed for pets, they will poop, pee, and chew everything. The pet ones are actually kind, loving, and rarely misbehave. I'm guessing you were kind of exaggerating but it just bothers me when people get the wrong idea about rats. I'm not saying it was ok for this incident, that rat I'm guessing wasn't entirely pet trains, hence it's horrible behavior. But anyways, good to know she's recovering.

Rats from "pet" quality lines are just as capable of pooping, peeing, or chewing as any other rat (don't get me wrong, I LIKE rats!). They were not being evil, they were being rats! A hungry rat will try to eat what's available. A cornered terrified rat will defend itself. I am not so forgiving to squirrels however.

I noticed this poor girl has what looks like snout damage too. Did she damage it trying to get away from the rats? Poor sweetie.

That kind of came out wrong, I know they are capable but they are trained to only do it when necessary(in the cage).

Wow that rat sure did a number on her :( Glad she's recovering! Thanks for being an awesome cham owner!

Wow, I'm so sorry I let this thread slide, everyone. I had fully intended to reply to a number of questions and comments that following weekend but just got too wrapped up in life. I'm going to try my best to make a detailed reply tomorrow. If I can get the kid off the Xbox long enough to hold a camera for a few minutes, I'd like to share a video of feeding time.

Thank you all for the kind words but, really, the success of her recovery really comes down to two things: first and foremost the care she received her whole life and second that she's a fighter. Time to go feed her...

Back
Top Bottom