Parson's Chameleon Attacked by Rat

Kent67

Retired Moderator
Can't make much worse of a title, huh? Well, I've debated sharing this girl for a while but I think the story is very encouraging and worthy of documentation because it can really show how strong and resilient a chameleon that has had all of its needs met can be.

First and foremost, what happened to this animal is unfortunate and sad, but no one's fault. She is 7.5 years old now and was clearly a beautiful, well-taken care of lady. That doesn't happen with neglect of any sort.

So here's the history: I was contacted in late Spring about adopting a mature female Parson's chameleon who had been attacked by a rat while her owner was in the process of moving interstate and was out of town. Actually, no one saw the assailant, but whatever it was chewed an appropriately sized hole through pvc-coated wire mesh to get into the cage. Rat made the most sense. She was part of the group imported and sold by Kammerflage Kreations in the Fall of 2006. https://web.archive.org/web/20070511021322/http://chameleonsonly.com/cb_parson%27s_chameleons.htm Upon hearing what had happened, her owner immediately returned to Southern California and took her to Dr. Greek. Dr. Greek believed the wounds to be superficial, for the most part, and expected a positive recovery. He had prescribed daily cleanses with Nolvasan and dressing with Silvadene cream to keep the wounds from becoming infected.

Being unable to take her out of state to the new residence and wanting her in more experienced hands than the temporary housing I was asked if I would take her in and continue treatment. I agreed and we met halfway at a Park N Ride. I half expected it to be a setup. "Yeah, right. I'll meet you in a parking lot for a free Parson's chameleon." I'm glad I had sunglasses on because seeing her for the first time instantly had my vision blurry. Heart-breaking. The poor girl clearly just clung to her sleeping branch, without the release and fall to the ground response other chams would have, while the dorsal surface of her tail, toes, part of her back, and chin were gnawed on by some damn rodent. HEART. BREAKING. Ugh. So I brought her home and set her up in a large indoor cage with lots of foliage and a rain system.

After a week she still hadn't eaten. No crickets, no superworms, no roaches. With the trauma and vet visits the week prior, we figured it had been close to two weeks. She obviously hated being removed from the cage to have her wounds cleaned and then coated in Silvadene so she would often gape and threaten to bite. After so much time not eating I decided to pop a decent sized dubia in her mouth while she was protesting the cleaning. She chomped it up and down it went. Awesome. She's still chunky as could be, no need to push it for the night. The next day I got some large hornworms in the mail. I put in on the branch in front of her and waited. Nothing. So I walked away for a couple minutes and when I came back to look she was licking her lips and the hornworm was gone. Really?!? I grabbed another big hornworm and put it on her branch. As I was backing out of the cage she came "running" over and snatched it up, too. Heck ya! I think we've got a good chance here....

She slowly built up her appetite day by day. She would frequently eat 15 crickets with some roaches or hornworms every night. We both found it easier and faster if I just held her food while she made short 4-inch tongue shots. She can still actively hunt and project her tongue a couple of feet; it's just easier since her movement isn't what it should be. She she 3 weeks or so before being attacked by the rat. As part of the healing process she started another shed just two weeks after being attacked, 5 weeks after the last. She shed again approximately a month and a half after this one, too. Pretty crazy for an animal of this age.

These pics were taken June 5th, about two weeks after arrival here:

flank6-5-13_zps933249df.jpg

The glaze on the scabs is from the Silvadene
tail6-5-13_zps007ff2ed.jpg

tail26-5-13_zpsc224bccc.jpg

Mid-September. Some of the smaller scabs have been falling off on her feet and tail with the major damage areas on the dorsal surface of her tail starting to separate and looking really nasty. Unfortunately, some toes were beyond saving.

tail9-15-13_zpsac6d85b3.jpg

flank9-15-13_zps6879e5dc.jpg

close-up9-15-13_zps71204852.jpg

backfeet9-15-13_zps0f777546.jpg

And today, November 30. The scabs have all fallen off. Some took much longer than the Dr. predicted but what else would you expected from a parsonii? It's cooling down so her feeding has slowed down some; only 6-8 large crickets worth per day. She has slight difficulty getting around with her missing toes and a slightly nerve-damaged tail which I don't expect to improve. Not that that will affect her at all; she still does whatever she wants and holds her own with the others when they're out in the giant outdoor cage together.

head11-30-13_zps9b49b937.jpg

backrightfoot11-30-13_zps702faa87.jpg

tailclose-up211-30-13_zpsaa2e775b.jpg

Can't help but think her tail would be more functional if it wasn't for the chunk taken out here
tailclose-up311-30-13_zps0c52245c.jpg

That's it for now. I've still got my fingers crossed but it looks like she's making a fine recovery so far. I saw several rat attack threads pop up about the same time I was taking this girl on. Let this and the other stories be warning to make sure you do everything you can to protect your chameleons from native wildlife when they're outdoors. It can and will happen....

OMG Kent, that is so sad! Glad she's doing so well for you. Hope she continues to improve.

I house my chameleons outside most of the year, I worry about raccoons, guess I need to ad rats to my list as well.

Thanks for the inspirational story!

Wow Kent. Thanks for sharing the story. Shows how tough those Parsonii are. Glad she ended up with you. I hope she continues to improve.

Kent it is good to hear you have taken her in so that she can recover. It is sad some of the damage can not be healed, but at least she is healthy and functional. Keep up the good work. I said if you found any free parsons, I would be happy to take one. If I knew anywhere near as much as you, I would be happy to adopt her. You are doing a fantastic job. :):)

I'm glad she is doing well now. I love parsons. I applaud your dedication and effort for this chameleon

Time to watch some green tree python vs rat videos on youtube :cool:

Poor baby. :( I'm so glad she's recovering under your care. Her improvement is remarkable. The before pics of her tail and foot break my heart. She looks a lot better, and I'm sure feels better, too. Thank you for sharing this.

I'd have never thought about rats as a problem, but thanks for shedding some light on this, and for your awesome dedication to her. She's a cutie, and kudos to you for all of your hard work in helping her to survive! Fingers crossed for even more recovery from her :D

Poor girlie! Thank you for sharing that, it's true that we don't usually consider rats as a possible enemy when we keep chameleons outside but we definitely should. They will definitely try and eat anything at all, so it makes sense.

She's absolutely gorgeous despite the lasting effects of her injuries. She's fortunate to have you and your continued dedication to her health. :)

Wow, hats off to you for saving such a great chameleon. The tail might even be ok after a year or two. It still looks like its healing in the deepest wound, it might hurt her still to move it.
My recent melleri wouldnt eat initially, but it would gape and hiss at me, so I would crush the head of whatever feeder I was feeding, and drop it into his mouth. After I stepped out of his range of view, he would chew it up. After a few days of that, he started cup feeding.

Good luck, glad to see she made it through such a horrible event.

Leland

That is so sad. I couldn't even look at the pictures. Kent, I am so happy that she found her way to you and thank you sharing your experience. Hopefully, others will be more careful of how they house their animals outside. We have tons of rats here in FL and they have got on to my back porch several times and ate a big hole in my katydids cage and feasted on every katydid in there.

Awesome job Kent, and kudos to the previous owner for making a difficult but good decision to transfer her to you as quickly as possible. While some of the damage looks bad and like it could be somewhat debilitating (such as the toes), it looks like she's improving nicely and I think she will likely do very well. Nice job!

Chris

She looks really healthy now. What bright eyes she has! She also looks stubborn enough to, as you say, do whatever she wants!
I keep my female Jacksons outside too, and have been nervous about critters coming round. I haven't seen any rats, although I know there are plenty of fruit rats that live in the orange trees around here. I don't have any of those.
I did see 3 teenage raccoons last week, who had probably been thrown out by the mum, as it is that time of year. I couldn't shoo them off no matter what i did. They just patted the mesh a bit and then wandered around the patio looking under pots etc. haven't seen them since. So, I make sure I don't leave anything edible lying around outside. Mr. Tibbs, my 24 pound Russian Blue must have sat in the doorway for an hour hissing at them which was quite funny!
Those buggars are just fearless!

I'm glad the damage wasn't worse, luckily the rats were just tasting and not outright attacking. It is a good thing she found someone with experience and time to care for her! Good job.

Rats are horrid little beasts and nearly impossible to really keep out. They can gnaw through wood, burrow under ground, and are all in all intelligent.

Any large outdoor enclosure should have a concrete base, thick gauge wire (12 or 14 is usually sufficient) with 1/2 inch spaces and one needs to make sure the animal in the enclosure can't sleep touching any outside wire. I have experience with aviaries of which rats are the biggest threat, I imagine outdoor chameleons are the same. If anyone wants a lot of detail on predator proofing outdoor enclosures nobody has more experience than chicken people. Check out chicken coop designs and such for great tips. I read online chicken communities just for ideas that relate to general husbandry.

Back
Top Bottom