Parsonii Yellow Giant

No it isn't. Hong Kong has been a party of CITES since 1976 and CITES continues to apply to the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region after its reunification with China in 1997. As a result, Hong Kong is subject to the rules and recommendations of CITES, just like the US. CITES issued a recommendation to the parties to stop the importation of wild C. parsonii in 1994/1995 and there has been no legal exportation of C. parsonii from Madagascar to any CITES party since that time. They may simply not enforce these rules like they are supposed to in Hong Kong, but it is still illegal.

Chris

Sure I know HK is CITES city, so I really don't know, may be have another correct way can import that, the shop told me, they import direct from Madagascar, furthermore have the right liscence including import every one species on the list, must need to pass from HK government first, every time they have lot of the wild caught arrival, atlease over thousand pcs,all is direct freight to HK, so I don't know is still illegal about that.

I have been to Hong Kong and China at least 20 times for work and the things I have seen when it comes to treatment of animals still haunt me. I love the people there but have always been shocked by the disparity between the amazing hospitality I have been shown and the way they treat each other and animals.

This thread is very depressing. The growth of China is going to put the final nail in the coffin for many species (tiger bone, ivory, etc.). A majority of those coffin nails were hammered in by folks in the west, so don't mistake my comments as from a high horse, but the way the Chinese exploit nature, I fear for the world.

As a follow on to my above comments I just want to make clear that there are over a billion people in China and many of them care deeply for the welfare of animals, my comments were directed at the Chinese culture in general and the general treatment of animals (and people).

I am going to choose to believe the OP is one who loves and cares about animals and I hope he can use the information in this forum to provide a good life for the pictured chameleon. I look at the cham and think about all he has gone through and hope that the OP will do everything he can to make the situation right.

I have been to Hong Kong and China at least 20 times for work and the things I have seen when it comes to treatment of animals still haunt me. I love the people there but have always been shocked by the disparity between the amazing hospitality I have been shown and the way they treat each other and animals.

This thread is very depressing. The growth of China is going to put the final nail in the coffin for many speces (tiger bone, ivory, etc). A majority of those coffin nails were hammered in by folks in the west, so don't mistake my comments as from a high horse, but the way the Chinese exploit nature, I fear for the world.

I have to say, sir, that even with the trouble this thread could potentially cause, and the anger that it has already caused, I am very impressed with how well worded that was. Very well said. A point was made without stepping on any toes, or hurting anyone's feelings.

Also, to the original poster, just because this animal came from a shop doesn't mean that it is legal. There is enough experience on this forum to spot an illegally smuggled animal from a mile away. With that said, you are not necessarily doing anything and you may not have had anything to do with it, but there is no doubt that that animal was not properly cared for or maintained during the export process, or at it's previous home. You can, however, make sure that this animal receives proper care, and is maintained well. You happen to be in just the right place to ensure just that. The amount of knowledge on this forum is extensive.

That cage is TOO small! You have to make them something larger to live in or that animal is just going to waste away and die before you know it. What's more, putting a reptile that large in a cage that small is what I would consider abuse, especially if all he's known in the wild for his entire life.

Please figure out a way to build him something much larger to live in or consider rehoming him with someone who can. Letting that animal die would be a tragedy.

As a follow on to my above comments I just want to make clear that there are over a billion people in China and many of them care deeply for the welfare of animals, my comments were directed at the Chinese culture in general and the general treatment of animals (and people).

I am going to choose to believe the OP is one who loves and cares about animals and I hope he can use the information in this forum to provide a good life for the pictured chameleon. I look at the cham and think about all he has gone through and hope that the OP will do everything he can to make the situation right.

Really HK is not same with China, everything must need by right way, otherwise in all the cameleons have I own, I sure love them and must try to do the best with them.

That cage is TOO small! You have to make them something larger to live in or that animal is just going to waste away and die before you know it. What's more, putting a reptile that large in a cage that small is what I would consider abuse, especially if all he's known in the wild for his entire life.

Please figure out a way to build him something much larger to live in or consider rehoming him with someone who can. Letting that animal die would be a tragedy.

Freeranging may be the only option here... The cost of a square foot of apartment space in HK is insane and the size of the cage this beautiful yellow giant needs would be about equal to the size of the average apartment.

This thread is very depressing. The growth of China is going to put the final nail in the coffin for many species (tiger bone, ivory, etc.). A majority of those coffin nails were hammered in by folks in the west, so don't mistake my comments as from a high horse, but the way the Chinese exploit nature, I fear for the world.

Well put.

It is very sad and frustrating to see and hear how animals are treated and exploited. There are many species at risk due to these practices, both and land and at sea. I would say more, but it would turn in to a long and angry rant.

Freeranging may be the only option here... The cost of a square foot of apartment space in HK is insane and the size of the cage this beautiful yellow giant needs would be about equal to the size of the average apartment.

Whatever he has to do, but an 18" x 30" cage is cruelty. I transported my Meller's home in a cage that size and she could touch both sides of the cage at the same time. Imagine how the parsonii feels, being almost twice as big in mass.

Whatever he has to do, but an 18" x 30" cage is cruelty. I transported my Meller's home in a cage that size and she could touch both sides of the cage at the same time. Imagine how the parsonii feels, being almost twice as big in mass.

Couldn't agree more Olimpia, I didn't mean to dispute what you were saying, only to add a suggestion :)

No it isn't. Hong Kong has been a party of CITES since 1976 and CITES continues to apply to the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region after its reunification with China in 1997. As a result, Hong Kong is subject to the rules and recommendations of CITES, just like the US. CITES issued a recommendation to the parties to stop the importation of wild C. parsonii in 1994/1995 and there has been no legal exportation of C. parsonii from Madagascar to any CITES party since that time. They may simply not enforce these rules like they are supposed to in Hong Kong, but it is still illegal.

Chris

You really do know all there is about chams. Nice to see you back it up with facts!

bro hope you can care for you parson :J every individual counts, also you have to keep an eye on the temperature, what I know hk is a bitt to hot

Regardless of cage size, the real problem is this.

He's coming clean as greedy and not willing to provide adequate husbandry (at least for his Parsonii) for 30 pieces of chameleons. This including multiple pairs of Parsonii. This keepers has got some major issues to deal with. He says he breeds Parsonii however from what he has posted all I see is a non prepared novice at best pretending to be a Parsonii breeder. His lies are easy to see through.

He's coming clean as greedy and not willing to provide adequate husbandry (at least for his Parsonii) for 30 pieces of chameleons. This including multiple pairs of Parsonii. This keepers has got some major issues to deal with. He says he breeds Parsonii however from what he has posted all I see is a non prepared novice at best pretending to be a Parsonii breeder. His lies are easy to see through.
Not to mention, the animals don't look healthy enough to breed!! I think this guy is full of himself!!

I am perplexed at the amount of people on this thread MORE concerned with pointing fingers and delineating legalities than with concern for the actual chameleons' proper care.

Do you think he cares about what is legal? Do you think he cares about your disapproving words? No!!

So accept the truth that the animal is now in his care AND try to be helpful guys! If all we do is scold and get up on our soapboxes...think about what his response will be.

HELP this guy understand how to properly house/care for the chameleon.

Now I'm talking to you; the Original Poster...

A copy of my care advice from earlier this thread:
Please get these chameleons some room to roam with some real plants and privacy. They would be better off in your shower with about 20 pothos plants or schefflera plants. Give them a temperature of 20 Celsius and give them a shower 2 times per day at 45 minutes per shower. The shower water needs to be 26-30C. Do not watch over them often because they will be stressed, give them absolute privacy as much as possible.

If a 48x36x36 enclosure cannot be offered, a shower/bath tub is a good alternative. Acclimation will likely take 4-12 weeks. Please keep them separately. If the chameleons refuse to eat or close one or both of their eyes, GET THEM TO A VET.

Feed them plenty of hornworms, silkworms, dubia and Madagascar hissing roaches, grasshoppers lubbers, superworms, and crickets. DON'T forget that hydration is FAR more important than nutrition for these first few days.

Good luck and we do really wish the chameleons well!

I am perplexed at the amount of people on this thread MORE concerned with pointing fingers and delineating legalities than with concern for the actual chameleons' proper care.

Do you think he cares about what is legal? Do you think he cares about your disapproving words? No!!

So accept the truth that the animal is now in his care AND try to be helpful guys! If all we do is scold and get up on our soapboxes...think about what his response will be.

HELP this guy understand how to properly house/care for the chameleon.

Now I'm talking to you; the Original Poster...

A copy of my care advice from earlier this thread:

If a 48x36x36 enclosure cannot be offered, a shower/bath tub is a good alternative. Acclimation will likely take 4-12 weeks. Please keep them separately. If the chameleons refuse to eat or close one or both of their eyes, GET THEM TO A VET.

Feed them plenty of hornworms, silkworms, dubia and Madagascar hissing roaches, grasshoppers lubbers, superworms, and crickets. DON'T forget that hydration is FAR more important than nutrition for these first few days.

Good luck and we do really wish the chameleons well!

NO NO Lubbers are poisonous! For giant hoppers choose hoppers from the genus Schistocerca. There should be a species found in Asia. From some fast research Schistocerca gregaria is found in parts of Asian and is what they use as feeders in Europe.

He has got more than one Parsonii Chad. At least one pair of Orange Eyes and Yellow Lips. What Chad posted should be done for each of your Parsonii. I would prefer much bigger space requirements than 48x36x36.

Last edited:

Thats sounds really good, but by his prior statements, good husbandry isn't a priority.

I see the walking dead there. Lets be real.

You can't help someone that doesn't want to be helped!! In other words, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink!!:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom