Parsonii whole room enclosure

@Motherlode Chameleon I didn't plan on mixing, I was just asking. What separate requirements/habitats do the YL and OE have if you feel like sharing?

My Yellow Lips prefer the temperatures noticeably hotter than my Orange Eye White Lips and their max size is larger (concern of bullying).

You Obviously didnt read the whole post and that is why I hate posting on this site are my I haven't in a long time is because of people like you. If your gonna post something read every post don't just lost something because your an annoying know it all. If you can't read and then reply do not post on my stuff again.

Actually I did read all the posts. I known of two breeders that have tried it (who won't be named). Then both Sticky Tongue Farms and West Coast Chameleon Farms gave this model a go and it did not last past a year. This has been an issue before Todnedo allowed his male Harley some time alone with Gigantor. Then in a period of about of about 15 minutes alone Gigantor ripped off one of Harley's roastral blades. There is a post about it here on the Chameleon Forums. I am just saying if you are going to try something like this be very careful. I would want warning.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
First off, I'm not criticizing the OP. I'm saying that up front. That's my disclaimer.

Nice room. I'd be concerned about that many lights generating a crap ton of heat. I own a few of those lights and they put out a bunch of heat in my Herp room. I ended up installing a bathroom fan in the ceiling to vent out the hot air as it rose to the ceiling. You're gonna have mold issues without proper ventilation. I've done free ranges that size and unless you can open a window and pull in some air, you'll learn this the same way I did. Wiping down walls is both time consuming and not 100% in getting every spot.

Unfortunately we are trying to create a tropical environment inside a man made room. Air flow is a natural thing in the wild obviously and we keepers walk a balance between humidity and air flow all the time.

A few suggestions since you seem to be going all out (you spent what? 5-9k on lighting?). Buy the sheets of bathroom laminate that are used to line a shower stall. With those you can line the walls and if you seal the edges properly you can keep the humidity and mold issue to a minimum.

A bathroom fan in the ceiling can be of use too, place it on a timer to suit your needs. Consider a free standing fan that you can set up in such a way the chams cannot be injured. Lots of things come to mind.

Parsons will only do well with one male and one or two females as a group...but..and this is a big but.....they need a stupid amount of room to make it work. You've got a good sized space there, it may feel like a waste but I personally would only keep a pair in that free range. I've kept a few species in free ranges, the truth sucks for us who want a nice little colony but these animals really don't like to be in sight of each other...which is why line of sight is a very important thing to control in a free range. Potentially you can give these animals "quadrants" of space each separated by foliage from the next. I saw one free range like that where there were four quadrants, thick plants formed walls and branches and pathways were created going thru them. each quadrant had lighting, water, feeder stations, etc etc.

In this range the owner loved to tell me about how his animals could be inches away from each other and not see each other. It was his attempt at recreating nature...in the wild they seek each other out for breeding but other than that they avoid each other.

First off, I'm not criticizing the OP. I'm saying that up front. That's my disclaimer.

Nice room. I'd be concerned about that many lights generating a crap ton of heat. I own a few of those lights and they put out a bunch of heat in my Herp room. I ended up installing a bathroom fan in the ceiling to vent out the hot air as it rose to the ceiling. You're gonna have mold issues without proper ventilation. I've done free ranges that size and unless you can open a window and pull in some air, you'll learn this the same way I did. Wiping down walls is both time consuming and not 100% in getting every spot.

Unfortunately we are trying to create a tropical environment inside a man made room. Air flow is a natural thing in the wild obviously and we keepers walk a balance between humidity and air flow all the time.

A few suggestions since you seem to be going all out (you spent what? 5-9k on lighting?). Buy the sheets of bathroom laminate that are used to line a shower stall. With those you can line the walls and if you seal the edges properly you can keep the humidity and mold issue to a minimum.

A bathroom fan in the ceiling can be of use too, place it on a timer to suit your needs. Consider a free standing fan that you can set up in such a way the chams cannot be injured. Lots of things come to mind.

Parsons will only do well with one male and one or two females as a group...but..and this is a big but.....they need a stupid amount of room to make it work. You've got a good sized space there, it may feel like a waste but I personally would only keep a pair in that free range. I've kept a few species in free ranges, the truth sucks for us who want a nice little colony but these animals really don't like to be in sight of each other...which is why line of sight is a very important thing to control in a free range. Potentially you can give these animals "quadrants" of space each separated by foliage from the next. I saw one free range like that where there were four quadrants, thick plants formed walls and branches and pathways were created going thru them. each quadrant had lighting, water, feeder stations, etc etc.

In this range the owner loved to tell me about how his animals could be inches away from each other and not see each other. It was his attempt at recreating nature...in the wild they seek each other out for breeding but other than that they avoid each other.
Yes they do put out a lot of heat so I keep my temp In my house at 60 degrees during the day to balance it out. I actually do have a window i open up every now and then as well as a big fan i have that I turn on to make it like a monsoon in there. Ad it's split in two now with one male and one female on both sides. With some babies separated out in cages away from the others.

Yes they do put out a lot of heat so I keep my temp In my house at 60 degrees during the day to balance it out. I actually do have a window i open up every now and then as well as a big fan i have that I turn on to make it like a monsoon in there. Ad it's split in two now with one male and one female on both sides. With some babies separated out in cages away from the others.

K. If you put one, even maybe two, bathroom fans in the ceiling to vent out all that heat and on a timer so they are only on during the day, you could save yourself a cold at keeping your house so cool.

My Yellow Lips prefer the temperatures noticeably hotter than my Orange Eye White Lips and their max size is larger (concern of bullying).

Actually I did read all the posts. I known of two breeders that have tried it (who won't be named). Then both Sticky Tongue Farms and West Coast Chameleon Farms gave this model a go and it did not last past a year. This has been an issue before Todnedo allowed his male Harley some time alone with Gigantor. Then in a period of about of about 15 minutes alone Gigantor ripped off one of Harley's roastral blades. There is a post about it here on the Chameleon Forums. I am just saying if you are going to try something like this be very careful. I would want warning.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Especially a warning from someone who actually knows these species through personal experience and consultation with the very few other people who have kept them. There are probably more behavioral differences between the OE, YL, WL than we realize. I would much rather get a head's up about a possible hazard before I get to deal with it first hand! The last thing I would want is to have an animal injured because of my ignorance and find out LATER that they can and do exercise some squabbling. We are dealing with powerful, secretive, mostly silent, territorial beings here. They are confined and unable to escape a determined rival even in a large room.

K. If you put one, even maybe two, bathroom fans in the ceiling to vent out all that heat and on a timer so they are only on during the day, you could save yourself a cold at keeping your house so cool.
I'll look into doing that. I honestly don't mind the cold I'm out working in the Arizona heat all day so I don't mind when its colder lol.

We are dealing with powerful, secretive, mostly silent, territorial beings here. They are confined and unable to escape a determined rival even in a large room.

I second this. I've kept, rehabbed, and helped customers with, many Parsons over the years. Many chameleons in general, and males will hunt down a rival sometimes. It's what they do afterall! They got nothing else to do either. Multiple males within sight of each other is a problem for nearly every species. I've seen Parsons fight, I also know how powerful their jaws are. They will bust the leg on another chameleon with a solid bite let alone the tissue damage.

Building a huge beautiful free range is a worthy project for any keeper, but to all keepers out there keep in mind you are building a habitat for a solitary creature on average.

Yes I have had that problem. Look up reptile humidifier/ reptile fogger on Amazon it's sold by evergreen pet supplies i love mine I use pbc pipe in the top going straight up so it evenly spreads out and it creates water droplets on leaves so my chameleons can drink off of them in between misting sessions.
I bought that one and its awesome!

It is i have 5 of them and they work amazingly
I got one bec the little one I had was the most annoying thing ever. This one runs well and the setting to make a light or heavy mist is great. I have the dragon strand large clearsude atrium. I mist it for 5 minutes in the morning and Then a few two minute sessions throughout the day. Still doesn't seem to soak everything super well. Everything still seems to dry out pretty decent in between mistings. That's probabably just due to the size. So the humidifier I will run for a few days and a few days off. It's just a nice feature to have. I've seen my chameleon sit under here and there. Normally he chills under his dripper wtaercolor though lol!! I love the setup for your babies. You really went above and beyond. I'm sure they love it.

I second this. I've kept, rehabbed, and helped customers with, many Parsons over the years. Many chameleons in general, and males will hunt down a rival sometimes. It's what they do afterall! They got nothing else to do either. Multiple males within sight of each other is a problem for nearly every species. I've seen Parsons fight, I also know how powerful their jaws are. They will bust the leg on another chameleon with a solid bite let alone the tissue damage.

Building a huge beautiful free range is a worthy project for any keeper, but to all keepers out there keep in mind you are building a habitat for a solitary creature on average.
This discussion reminds me of a situation we saw while in Madagascar. It was a big greenhouse set up to acclimate maybe a dozen parsonii before shipping them. There were planted shrubs and branch pathways all over the inside. OK, these were WC animals in less than perfect shape, but given how valuable a commodity that species is, they were cared for somewhat better than other species. The obvious bites we saw on them, the territorial bullying, the submissive defeated ones crouching in corners, and the constant display both sexes were showing each other was tragic. I also remember "liberating" one female C. globifer from another open top enclosure by tucking her inside a jacket so she could reach dense habitat outside the compound.

This discussion reminds me of a situation we saw while in Madagascar. It was a big greenhouse set up to acclimate maybe a dozen parsonii before shipping them. There were planted shrubs and branch pathways all over the inside. OK, these were WC animals in less than perfect shape, but given how valuable a commodity that species is, they were cared for somewhat better than other species. The obvious bites we saw on them, the territorial bullying, the submissive defeated ones crouching in corners, and the constant display both sexes were showing each other was tragic. I also remember "liberating" one female C. globifer from another open top enclosure by tucking her inside a jacket so she could reach dense habitat outside the compound.

These conversations are necessary though. Especially if they prevent Calumma parsonii parsonii from being injured or killed. I much rather have the conversation before hand to prevent a disaster from happening. I do not wish a dead Calumma parsonii parsonii on anyone.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

I got one bec the little one I had was the most annoying thing ever. This one runs well and the setting to make a light or heavy mist is great. I have the dragon strand large clearsude atrium. I mist it for 5 minutes in the morning and Then a few two minute sessions throughout the day. Still doesn't seem to soak everything super well. Everything still seems to dry out pretty decent in between mistings. That's probabably just due to the size. So the humidifier I will run for a few days and a few days off. It's just a nice feature to have. I've seen my chameleon sit under here and there. Normally he chills under his dripper wtaercolor though lol!! I love the setup for your babies. You really went above and beyond. I'm sure they love it.
5 minuts for a parsons sounds too short. what I know is that they are very slow to drink and need loooongs mistings

Back
Top Bottom