Parsonii care

Extensionofgreen

Chameleon Enthusiast
I kept parsons close to 10 years ago and not much has changed in the amount of information available about their care. I know that there increased availability has increased the number of keepers in the states and abroad. Believe me, I am a member of several parsons focused groups, I'm in daily contact with other experience keepers from the US and Europe, and I am not inexperience in handling wild caught animals or chameleons, with severe health isssues related to importation.

My male is not where I want him to be.
He is feeding, he is strong, he is alert during the day. He has been to an experienced vet, he has been treated and tested for parasites, he has had many adjustments in his care to try to get things just right, but it seems whatever is affecting him is specific to him, as the female is moving along as expected.
The male appears slightly dehydrated. His colors are pale and his eyes appear slightly recessed. It's impossible to accurately capture him in photos, as they always enhance the appearance of his sunken eyes and make him look much worse than he is. His urates are white and the soft tissues on top of the head are plump and full. These are indicators I use to rule out true dehydration.
I have given him water via syringe. I mist with a MistKing 30-45mins daily, and I observe him drink.
My conservation with a keeper in Europe leads me to question what others are doing.

One of his points was that subadult and adult parsons require additional water, given via syringe to the tune of 1/4 liter daily and this has to be given drop by drop on the lips, not into the mouth directly. His insistence is that their hydration needs cannot be met, past jevenile phase, by misting alone.

I am aware keeper supplement water intake with manually offering water through syringe, but are keepers finding this an absolute requirement or can misting be adequate, if offered for long enough durations and with acceptable frequency?

Many other "absolutes" were discussed, many I dismiss or sift the facts from and discard the things I know to be untrue.

This person is VERY knowledgeable and I suspect much of the communication is based on features of his personality, whereby suggestions are given as absolutes.

I can not ignore any reasonable information, since I am 8 months in with this male and still struggling to see him at optimum.

I am installing some new, very strong, German lighting, that was recommended and I see merit in. I realize that many people treat parsonii as dense shade animals and it is true that they do not enjoy hot basking, but they are documented from river margins, plantations, forest edges, and disturbed areas. At higher elevations, the atmosphere is thinner and UVB levels are not weak. The Osram Vitalux bulbs are VERY strong, but I feel, due to my animals being wild caught and the fact that my cage is 6'10" tall ( the actual occupied space inside ), something stronger and more resembling sunlight can not hurt. They will only be run for 45mins daily, per recommendations from experienced European keepers. I have a UVB meter and I can tell you that the T5s and Mercury Vapor bulbs give out next to nothing 2'-3' away, especially through dense foliage. I even have bulbs not filtered by screen and they are just not giving me the readings that I feel are stimulating to the animals.

I am anxious to compile a thread of approaches here, outlining what keepers are doing, everything from lighting, hydration, and feeding, to temperatures, light cycles, brumation, medications that were well tolerated, issues they have encountered and how they were resolved or what the outcome was, anything at all that can contribute to a body of knowledge that keepers can refer to and that can function as a caresheet.

I will start with my own approach and observations:

Supplements:
I like to use a rotation of products to ensure elements are provided in the form best utilized by the animal.
I lightly dust feeders 3 times a week with plain calcium. 2 times a month I offer Repashy LoD, and twice I offer either Dendrocare, Repashy with A, Herptivite, or Reptivite.
I really like Dendrocare, as it's designed for dart frogs, so the dosage is scaled down and designed to be used with every feeding. It proves well tolerated by montane animals.

Feeding:
My CBB babies, years ago ate mostly crickets, offered frequently, whenever there were no feeders present in the enclosure. I free roamed the crickets and hand fed roaches, as much as they would consume.

My current Wild Caught pair usually only consumes 1 large roach, such as an adult orange head, or occasionally 2-3 items, such as mantids, katydids, hornworm moths, or locusts per day. They typically refuse food until the second or third day, after eating such meals. They show fondness for blue bottle flies, Black Soldier Flies, crickets, and moths, and since these are usually offered in multiple, they will consume several initially and then find them uninteresting, until the supply is exhausted and not offered for some time. Hornworms and superworms are eaten, but with little enthusiasm.

Hydration:
My CBB pair were very young, still orangey tan, unsexed, several month old hatchlings.
They had an ultrasonic humidifier on a timer that would run 3 times a day for an hour or more, so that the foliage and screen was laden with drops of condensed water.

My current pair has had numerous watering schedules provided by misting and by oral syringe, if they are also being given meds. This is at the rate of .5mls at a time. Misting shave been at least 3x 30min sessions a week, with 5-15 minute sessions offered the rest of the week, often several times a day. Currently, I ensure the animals are in direct path of the misting and run the mister for 30-45mins. The water is heated to 85F.

Medications:
I have used Panacur, injectable Ceftazidime (Fortaz), and Silvadene cream for mouth stomatitis, face rub, pinworms, and abrasions. All were well tolerated.

Health issues:
Only in WC animals, and the issues are listed above.

Lighting:
I have used a combination of LED spots, daylight (5000-6500k) tubes ( T8 and T5 ), and on the larger enclosure, a 165 watt Mercury Vapor bulb, and soon 2x 300 watt Osram Vitalux bulbs for 45mins a day.

Light schedule:
My light schedule years ago was 12hrs on and 12 off.
I have never noted a day shorter than 14 hours in nature, so I stagger my lighting now, so that there is a gradual building of intensity and gradual tapering off, totaling a 14hr day length.

Temps:
The temps vary based on where the animals originated from, but I have found 74-76F, with 80-85F basking spots acceptable for both pairs of Orange Eyes. Cooler temps result in decreased appetite, and I have never exposed them to higher temperatures.
Night temperature are between 63F and 70F.

Brumation:
I have never attempted brumation, but plan to as my animals mature and show robust health. I live in the NorthEast and have an AC unit and outside windows to utilize for temp reduction.

Enclosures:
My young, CBB pair was kept in a small, custom built, 2'x1' enclosure, made from wood, polywall, and fiberglass windows screen.

I have utilized 100 gallon reptariums for a short time with my Wild Caught pair, both animals were under 200 grams. The reptariums were poorly tolerated and the animals have done much better in a lush and brightly lit 8'x4'x6'10" enclosure.
Currently a 16'x4'x6'10" enclosure is being constructed.

Cohabitation:
I have read of conflicting reports of success and other of aggression between young animals. I housed my young, CBB pair apart.
My WC pair has been housed together in the very large enclosure, but kept separately in the smaller reptariums. I have never seen signs of stress or aggression in the animals and there are many basking spots, visual barriers, and numerous light, temperature, moisture, and UVB gradients for each animal to utilize.

Gutload:
I have used nurmerous types of fresh produce, but currently am using opuntia cactus pads as a moisture source and a dry mixture, made myself, with an ingredient list attached. The ingredients vary slightly to include different sources of fruits and proteins.

Attachments

• IMG_2008.JPG
    IMG_2008.JPG
    183.9 KB · Views: 170
Regarding misting...i was listening to the chameleon breeder podcast and the owner of chameleon international said he gives larger species long misting sessions around 30 to 45 minutes.

I don't have any info to add about hydration, but am very interested what the Parsonii Keepers will say. I can't imagine that there would be no sufficient combo of Misting and "ideal" humidity that would be sufficient, especially considering that they do not have these issues in the wild, but can't wait to watch along with the responses.

I forgot to state that my ambient room humidity is 70% minimum and the enclosure is never below 70%, with 80%+ being common, although the air is moving, via fans and an open top and front of screen.
I would have to agree. They drink when it rains, which is what misting mimics, although actual rain is much heavier, misting eventually produces the large droplets, dripping from the foliage, that they drink.

That's next. He had been gaining weight and doing fairly well, until about 6 weeks ago, which prompted the fecal check and found him loaded with worms. I am rather nervous of blood work, as I've seen chameleons injured by extracting blood from the caudal vein, but if he doesn't improve after I get more misting and stronger light on him, he's going to have to have a comprehensive work up.

That's next. He had been gaining weight and doing fairly well, until about 6 weeks ago, which prompted the fecal check and found him loaded with worms. I am rather nervous of blood work, as I've seen chameleons injured by extracting blood from the caudal vein, but if he doesn't improve after I get more misting and stronger light on him, he's going to have to have a comprehensive work up.

I wasn't aware he had worms. Is he clean now? Has he had a follow up fecal done?

As a new parson keeper I very much look forward to being able to read everyone's opinions and findings that have been gained from long and hard work.
I realise I have a long way to go so I'm sorry I don't have anything to add.
My schedule for watering is still 1 hr in the morning and one in the evening, Joel's info- half the spray being directed above viv mesh onto a finer piece of mesh which creates a regular and standard area for very full water drops to fall from the top mesh, no need to hunt for drops on leaves, they hang from the mesh ready to drink. They love it and i'm very happy with my urates and proud to say it!
Thank you for posting and I am sure I am going to learn a lot here .

No experience with Parsons however I've had similar issues with the WC Calumma Oshaughnessy pair I got from last years import. The male in particular was up and down throughout the time I had him and unfortunately passed a few weeks ago. Vet said it was a kidney issue. He came in loaded with coccidia and went through multi rounds of treatment. Thought we were on the right track then had to evacuate 3 days for Hurricane Matthew and he never seemed to recover from the stress despite a few vet trips without conclusive results never regained a full appetite and had a similar dull coloration and slightly sunken eye look that you describe. He was an adult import not sure how old but was full grown when imported. I also used the combination of long misting times and ultrasonic humidifier so they always had access to water, in retrospect maybe should have been giving additional water orally.

Luckily the female has adjusted much better to captivity, she was the one I was initially concerned about coming in with bag rub and looking much worse off however has healed up completely and never misses a meal. Like your WC they both prefer a large meal over crickets with orange head roaches being a staple. I have been using the mister alone on her set up and not having any issues with her hydration.

I hope you can get your guy on the right track and feeling better, the big enclosure sounds awesome and should help them feel more secure.

I'm at work, so no lengthy reply now, but to answer a question regarding the parasites; the 3rd dose was finished a couple weeks ago and I have not checked a fresh sample, just yet, as life is busy with holidays, arrival of new grand baby, getting married, building the new enclosure, and work, so I have not had a chance to prioritize the poop. It is on my to do list, as soon as construction is complete on the new enclosure, hopefully this weekend!

Back
Top Bottom