parasites

ShaSha

Just purchased a Jackson Cham yesterday. I read that they should be treated for parasites as most of them will be affected by this. Should I take him to the vet to be treated?

It is possible that he could have parasites, but there is a higher possibility of that if the chameleon was wild caught. If he doesn't have parasites, I don't see the reason in treating it. It's like drinking medicine when you're healthy. You can get a test done on him to check if he has them though.

WC usually do carry parasites, but if he is CB, don't worry too much, especially if he comes from a reputable breeder. I would get him checked out anyway, by a vet, just to make sure everything is fine.

Take a sample of his poop to a vet who can do a fecal examination for parasites. The vet will be able to tell if there are any parasites and, if so, will be able to give you the proper medicine.
There are a number of different parasites so you want to use the right medicine.

Take a sample of his poop to a vet who can do a fecal examination for parasites. The vet will be able to tell if there are any parasites and, if so, will be able to give you the proper medicine.
There are a number of different parasites so you want to use the right medicine.

Yeah, that. There's a big price difference between getting a fecal sample tested and actually spending time with the vet. Just call and arrange to drop the sample off, save you "live vet money" for a situation that needs it (noting that if the test is positive for parasites, you will be seeing the vet).

Yeah, that. There's a big price difference between getting a fecal sample tested and actually spending time with the vet. Just call and arrange to drop the sample off, save you "live vet money" for a situation that needs it (noting that if the test is positive for parasites, you will be seeing the vet).

not all vets will do that though. Atleast mine won't. I tried to take in a sample when I first got my chameleon and they would not do it without an appointment.

Thanks for all of the help. I will call the vet to see if I can drop off the feces or if I need an appointment. Either way, I want to make sure he is ok.

Back
Top Bottom