parasites

ShaSha

Just purchased a Jackson Cham yesterday. I read that they should be treated for parasites as most of them will be affected by this. Should I take him to the vet to be treated?

ChamomilleCame

Avid Member
It is possible that he could have parasites, but there is a higher possibility of that if the chameleon was wild caught. If he doesn't have parasites, I don't see the reason in treating it. It's like drinking medicine when you're healthy. You can get a test done on him to check if he has them though.

burnedrose

WC usually do carry parasites, but if he is CB, don't worry too much, especially if he comes from a reputable breeder. I would get him checked out anyway, by a vet, just to make sure everything is fine.

DeremensisBlue

Chameleon Enthusiast
Site Sponsor
Take a sample of his poop to a vet who can do a fecal examination for parasites. The vet will be able to tell if there are any parasites and, if so, will be able to give you the proper medicine.
There are a number of different parasites so you want to use the right medicine.

Elizadolots

Take a sample of his poop to a vet who can do a fecal examination for parasites. The vet will be able to tell if there are any parasites and, if so, will be able to give you the proper medicine.
There are a number of different parasites so you want to use the right medicine.
Yeah, that. There's a big price difference between getting a fecal sample tested and actually spending time with the vet. Just call and arrange to drop the sample off, save you "live vet money" for a situation that needs it (noting that if the test is positive for parasites, you will be seeing the vet).

carol5208

Chameleon Enthusiast
Yeah, that. There's a big price difference between getting a fecal sample tested and actually spending time with the vet. Just call and arrange to drop the sample off, save you "live vet money" for a situation that needs it (noting that if the test is positive for parasites, you will be seeing the vet).
not all vets will do that though. Atleast mine won't. I tried to take in a sample when I first got my chameleon and they would not do it without an appointment.

ShaSha

Thanks for all of the help. I will call the vet to see if I can drop off the feces or if I need an appointment. Either way, I want to make sure he is ok.

Top Bottom