parasites

QuinnieLeeBlu

Avid Member
Does my chameleon have parasites? And how would i tell if he had them? If i took him to the vet and he was fine would the vet bill cost a lot? heres a picture of him

Attachments

• EC700AA1-339D-430B-BAEE-B60583C86ADE.jpeg
    EC700AA1-339D-430B-BAEE-B60583C86ADE.jpeg
    135.5 KB · Views: 74
It would be hard to tell for sure from a picture, but fecals are usually less than $100 and that will give you a sure answer. Call ahead for an experienced chameleon vet. Use a feces that is less than 24hrs from being excreted (the sooner the better) and refrigerate if it’s not brought directly to the facility. Hope this helps you ☺️

It would be hard to tell for sure from a picture, but fecals are usually less than $100 and that will give you a sure answer. Call ahead for an experienced chameleon vet. Use a feces that is less than 24hrs from being excreted (the sooner the better) and refrigerate if it’s not brought directly to the facility. Hope this helps you ☺️
Thank you so much first tume chameleon owner and stressing out about my chameleon

Where did you purchase your from?

Does my chameleon have parasites? And how would i tell if he had them? If i took him to the vet and he was fine would the vet bill cost a lot? heres a picture of him
Where did you purchase your cham from?

Usually if you buy from a reputable breeder that you know breeds chameleons responsibly it's not a necessary action unless your cham isn't gaining weight or isn't eating.
If you purchased from a pet store, or from a place with a bad rep or flips reptiles, then you def want to have him checked.

I second the suggestion to get a fecal exam done. They usually run in the $30-$40 range.
You don't necessarily need an office visit unless the fecal comes back positive. Vets can't treat or prescribe for a patient they haven't examined. Some practices will require an examination regardless, and that will run quite a bit more—you can always call & ask for exact costs & policies.

IMO, a herp vet isn't necessary for a fecal (they're usually done by techs anyway) but in the event it's positive, you may as well have it done at a herp vet office.

Find A Herp Vet

I second the suggestion to get a fecal exam done. They usually run in the $30-$40 range.
You don't necessarily need an office visit unless the fecal comes back positive. Vets can't treat or prescribe for a patient they haven't examined. Some practices will require an examination regardless, and that will run quite a bit more—you can always call & ask for exact costs & policies.

IMO, a herp vet isn't necessary for a fecal (they're usually done by techs anyway) but in the event it's positive, you may as well have it done at a herp vet office.

Find A Herp Vet
Thank you!

Hello! I'm a veterinary nurse with 10+ years in a small animal and exotic clinic. Chameleons can commonly get pinworms, roundworms, coccidia and giardia. Fecal screens are fairly inexpensive and should be done at an exotic veterinary clinic that has experience with them.

As a preventative measure we ALWAYS recommend our reptiles have a fecal screen done at least every 6 months to ensure we are catching any parasites before they become a problem.

I hope this helped! :)

Back
Top Bottom