Parang Lives On!

Kent67

Retired Moderator
I wanted to share the story of Parang with everyone who may or may not know him and give an update. Parang came from a friend who was unable to take him after a move in September '07. His friendly, outgoing personality endeared him to a number of people and was completely responsible for rekindling my love of his species. When I received him at nearly 5 years old, he had not seen another of his own species since he was a juvie and had a lot of bizarre misplaced behaviors. He would display at and challenge my boxer (he'd walk right up to the dog, nose-to-nose, and stare at him), try to chase down and mate a male veiled, etc.... I decided I had to get a couple females and try to breed him. Shortly after mating with my female, Soca, Parang went into kidney failure. In the short time he was with me, it really hurt to see him go. One of the bigger panthers I've seen, Parang was 18.5 inches and just shy of 270 grams.

DSC_013120071021.jpg

DSC_013220071021.jpg

DSCF6724.jpg

Ridin shotgun:
DSCF7112.jpg

In early May Soca laid her first clutch which has just started hatching. So far there are two little girls out of the egg and five more babies sitting inside their slit eggs. With everything I've been through with these eggs, from old to brand-new air conditioners breaking, to having them at a neighbor's house because I couldn't keep my own cool enough, to realizing they were letting their house get really cool at night a couple months ago....it is SUCH a relief to finally get to see them hatching. I am also very happy to think that several of us who knew Parang will get to carry on with his progeny for years to come.

DSCF7725.jpg

DSCF7726.jpg

DSCF7728.jpg

Yeah, I hate this camera:
DSCF7733.jpg

Such an amazing story Kent. I am tuly glad these eggs have made it through to carry on their father's legacy.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Parang was a cool guy... and sorely missed. :( Hopefully his babies turn out just like him.

Hopefully the F. lateralis major eggs hatch soon!

Cheers,
t

Parang was a cool and beautiful chameleon. So glad that the eggs survived and a part of him will live on. Jann

As of this morning there are still only 2 out of the egg but there are now 13 slit eggs with little heads poking out! Way to go Parang!

Here's a few more pics. In the 24 hours between Sunday and Monday evenings, 14 little ones emerged making a total now of 17. I got to see the oldest ones boldly stalking and eating 1-week crickets tonight. :D

A bunch o' slit eggs:
DSCF7738.jpg

I need to set up more baby cages tomorrow but it's nice to not have to buy a bunch of tiny crickets for 2 hatchlings at a time.
DSCF7746.jpg

DSCF7747.jpg

DSCF7744.jpg

Hey Kent! Was Parang a Sambava? His eyes look exactly like my males when he is in the "mood". He was a beautiful chameleon! Where did his name originate from?

Hey Kent! Was Parang a Sambava? His eyes look exactly like my males when he is in the "mood". He was a beautiful chameleon! Where did his name originate from?

We're not real sure what Parang was. He's a multi-generation captive from Canada. His father had more of a Diego Suarez look and his mother was sold to them as "Rainbow" but they thought she may have been Ambanja or Ambilobe. Parang is a type of Caribbean music :)

Thanks for all the responses everyone! Baby Parangs rule!

We're not real sure what Parang was. He's a multi-generation captive from Canada. His father had more of a Diego Suarez look and his mother was sold to them as "Rainbow" but they thought she may have been Ambanja or Ambilobe. Parang is a type of Caribbean music :)

Thanks for all the responses everyone! Baby Parangs rule!

Whatever he is, he was amazing, and I am sure the babies will be too! That is a very cool name, I shall have to listen to some Parang music, sounds interesting!

Great news and a wonderful story. I remember when the air conditioner went out and you had incubating-room temperatures in the 90s. Glad everything worked out!

Thanks, Sandy! I remember your encouraging words that day I came home and found the several days old air-conditioner dead with those hot temps and still appreciate them :) It really helped bring me back down to Earth that day , haha.

Back
Top Bottom