Panther with eye problem, please help!

Lolcakes

Hey guys, I have a red bar panther just over a year old and for a couple months now he keeps his left eye closed about 50% of the time during the day. As of recent he has been keeping it shut more frequently and has become quite a bit less active. Even just a month ago he was very active, always wanted out of his cage and wanted to run around and ate with no problem. Now he sits in the same spot, not under his basking light, for the majority of the day and only will eat "treats" i.e hornworms and superworms. The food isn't my major concern at the moment it's his eye. My local bug supplier said he has eyedrops to treat any eye problems/infections but I wanted a second opinion before I start treating him with them. I would obviously take him to a vet if I could, but theres no one around me who knows anything about chams or reptiles in general. I'll attach a picture of his eye how it is currently. We would really appreciate your help if you have any knowledge on what it could be and how to treat it.

Attachments

• ResizedImage_1366323105532.jpg
    ResizedImage_1366323105532.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 213
looks like vitamin A deficiency ..im assuming but better safe than sorry go buy vit A cod liver capsules and poke a hole in one capsole with a tack ,,1-2 drop for the next 3 days should solve that ... u just gotta get him to open his mouth ..its worth a shot .
i dont see that no being te prob since he looks healthy and his eye doesnt look infected pm if u have andf more questions

I would try washing the eye out with plain saline. Not visine, saline. He could very well have something stuck in there like a piece of shed or something else. What does the other eye look like?

Some people say it might be deficiency of Vit A, however, if you dust your feeders with multivitamins and calcium, Vit A should be normal. Check your supplements for ingredients. I use Repashy Calcium Plus. You can check my previous postings about the issues I had with my 6 months old nosy be. She is doing ok now, her eye is still messed up, the lid is always shedding, but at least she can see with her eye and it is always opened during the day. I tried several antibiotic ointments, and tobrex worked out the best for me. LLLreptile sells Terramycin, which should do the job as well, I believe. Do not wait any longer if misting and keeping him as humid as possible doesn't help. Do not do antibiotic solution, they dry out too quick and its hard to apply, go with ointment only.

Back
Top Bottom