Panther vs Hummingbird

giesle

Avid Member
I have wondered for awhile if a panther would eat a hummingbird. I have seen a pic of a veiled eating one. Not that I have a ridiculous amount of experience, but Dexter is the biggest and most studliest of any panther I have seen, and since he hadn't eaten in a few days, I was surprised that he was actually scared of the hummingbird instead of trying to eat it. He has never eaten flying prey and such a big one was surely intimidating. Maybe it was a good thing, though. The bird might have put up a fight and hurt his tongue. He's also normally all bright orange when he's outside, just not this time. At least he matched the color of the tree.

i-Djsp7Mr.jpg

i-Jt92ptM.jpg

Amazing pics!

I can just hear the Jurassic Park theme music playing in the background to those photos! Great shots!

omg I was afraid to look! I am glad he did not eat the bird! I was hoping it was maybe a fake one or something as I know you do some funny things with your photos! This is awesome to catch a hummingbird in flight!

Thanks everyone. It's funny how I love hummingbirds and they are one of my favorite birds, yet I was rooting for my chameleon to snatch one. I guess I love getting good unique shots even more. The great thing of not getting the shots I wanted is no hummers died.

You could send that picture into national geographic, awesome! I love humming birds so I would be super upset if my cham ever ate one, even tho we sadly don't get them were I live.

Amazing photo!

The same thing happened to me when I had my panther outside before. The hummingbird flew right in front of him and hovered. Instead of thinking to take a pic, I sat there and said to myself "oh no...oh no"!!! haha
Luckily the outcome was the same as yours. :)

Either way you look at it, both are lucky.
1) dead hummingbird, full chameleon.
2) dead hummingbird and chameleon from beak slashed innards .
3) hawk swoops in and gets both. :(

Here in VA, the local turkey vultures would have gotten them in 2 seconds. I have seen them circle my cocker spaniel. Freakin' HUGE!!!

omg I was afraid to look! I am glad he did not eat the bird! I was hoping it was maybe a fake one or something as I know you do some funny things with your photos! This is awesome to catch a hummingbird in flight!

I had the same initial reaction! Glad it wasn't one of those terrible "Chameleon Vs **" Videos you see on youtube! :eek:

Thanks all.

Amazing photo!

The same thing happened to me when I had my panther outside before. The hummingbird flew right in front of him and hovered. Instead of thinking to take a pic, I sat there and said to myself "oh no...oh no"!!! haha
Luckily the outcome was the same as yours. :)
Good to know. Yeah, I think hummers are a little large for panthers. I had the same reaction as you one time several years ago when I was shooting only hummingbirds through my window and I saw a mockingbird catch one and take it to the ground. I even had the camera in my hand, but ran around outside as fast as I could to try to save it. Of course, it was over the second I witnessed it. There was a mockingbird sitting on the ground under a feeder a couple of weeks ago and a hummingbird was buzzing it and hovering in his face just like he was doing to my cham here.

Either way you look at it, both are lucky.
1) dead hummingbird, full chameleon.
2) dead hummingbird and chameleon from beak slashed innards .
3) hawk swoops in and gets both. :(

Here in VA, the local turkey vultures would have gotten them in 2 seconds. I have seen them circle my cocker spaniel. Freakin' HUGE!!!
Dang. Kind of hard to tell your dog not to ever take a nap out in the middle of the yard. I guess he would wake up pretty quick if one started pecking.:)

Back
Top Bottom