Panther vs Hummingbird

Beautiful picture.

I wonder how many here are going to flame me when they hear I have a fruit tree with a hummingbird feeder all set up outside for when I need to let my Parson bask a little....

Thanks all.

Good to know. Yeah, I think hummers are a little large for panthers. I had the same reaction as you one time several years ago when I was shooting only hummingbirds through my window and I saw a mockingbird catch one and take it to the ground. I even had the camera in my hand, but ran around outside as fast as I could to try to save it. Of course, it was over the second I witnessed it. There was a mockingbird sitting on the ground under a feeder a couple of weeks ago and a hummingbird was buzzing it and hovering in his face just like he was doing to my cham here.

Dang. Kind of hard to tell your dog not to ever take a nap out in the middle of the yard. I guess he would wake up pretty quick if one started pecking.:)
They are evrywhere in my neighborhood. They circle the little league baseball games even. They stand about 30" tall or so. Freakin pterodactyls. Hoping they swoop down and take my pekingnese though. He's a butthole. :eek:

While the shots are gorgeous, the idea to let a chameleon eat a hummingbird is disgusting imo. Such awesome little birds ...
And another point: Imagine animal rights activist see pictures of a captive chameleon eat a native species for a snack ...

While the shots are gorgeous, the idea to let a chameleon eat a hummingbird is disgusting imo. Such awesome little birds ...
And another point: Imagine animal rights activist see pictures of a captive chameleon eat a native species for a snack ...

Nature seldom is kind, or what we want. Food is food. Just don't be cruel about it.

I've personally dealt with animal rights people, they tend to be zealots with nothing but their personal agendas and wants. I dated somebody from PETA once, the things I learned not only resulted in me no longer supporting them with donations but actively standing against them. There is no middle ground with their main goal, that being none of us are suitable to keep any kind of pet and as such all animals (yes dogs too) should be illegal to keep. Since they know that won't happens they instead make it hard to find the animals, in the case of dogs they pass ordinances not allowing breeders to live in certain cities, that all animals must be spayed or neutered, and then in conjunction with that they tried to pass a law not allowing dogs brought in from outside the state. If they had passed all three, do the math. People can't breed the dogs in the city, current dogs can't breed, and you cant get any from outside the state.

This happened recently, none of this crap passed to the degree they intended. However, all of this was shared with me back in the ...yes... the 1980's. They have very long term goals.

By the way I was laughing so hard when I saw the first picture... I was thinking the bird was saying " WTF is this thing on my food tree??? " and the Panther was saying " OMFG WHAT IS THAT!!! It's gonna EAT ME!!! "

Since a Parson couldn't survive in California outside for more than a week in the weather we tend to have I'm not worried about an activist claiming my critter is bad for the environment. I'd counter the activist is more of a threat to the environment.

Oh sh.t! Looks like I stirred up a hornet's nest! What about ol' junglefries? He's ready to throw his worthless Pekingese to the vultures. Poor little doggy never hurt anybody.:( Seriously though, like I said earlier, I love hummingbirds and am glad none died. Your animal rights activist comment just doesn't make sense to me. I'm sure if I ended up with that picture, they would see it, because it would be very popular. I'm not too worried about hurting their feelings, and if you mean legally, then the laws are much different in Germany. I have to take my chams outside to move around and get some natural light. This is a fact and probably a much overlooked part of husbandry to keep a healthy chameleon. If a hummingbird makes a mistake and flies into him, then bad move Mr. Hummer. I even know people with cats that eat wild mice....

Back
Top Bottom