Panther Sexing by dewlap?

sharlaxle

Hey all,
I remember reading something in one of the sexing posts about being able to sex a panther by it's dewlap coloration? I did a few searches but have not come up with anything on this subject.
So since I know that sexing via the hemipenal bulge can be dicey at times how does this other method work? Oh, and what exactly is the dewlap? Is it the stretchy part of the throat they push out when irritated, or the portion directly between their lower jawbone?
Thanks, I'm still dicey on judging the hemipenal bulge, and would like another way to make sure I know what I am looking at (well, before they color up as males :D )
sharl

You should be able to tell by the hemipenal bulge at hatching if you know what you are looking for. I use coloration to help also but I dont think sexing by the gular region is accurate.

I agree. It's always about red in the interstitial skin of the gular but I've seen it in both male and female babies of some locales. If you've read my sexing thread, try looking at some adult females in profile first. Then when you're looking at babies, try to think about it more from the perspective of trying to pick out the baby females that look the same as the adult females rather than looking for a non-existant bulge in a male that isn't sexually mature yet. In the males there is "a place" for the hemipenes to grow in but there won't be a bulge until they start coloring up. The ones that don't quite look like the adult females are the males. :)

Ok,
I will stick with the tried and true method. You know this would be much easier if they just came in a little pink or blue shell. :p
Thanks guys, I'll go back to practicing some more.
sharl

Back
Top Bottom