Panther questions... New to chams

Kenidi

Hey everyone! I just discovered this forum today, and I am sooo glad I did! I have been busily reading a ton of threads and have gotten a ton of info!

Last year, while at a reptile expo, I decided to get a chameleon. I new nothing about them though so I decided to wait to get one until next year's expo came around, and spend the year educating myself and getting all the needed items ready. The expo is now less than 2 weeks away and I am extremely excited! I have decided on a male panther chameleon, and have a nice enclosure set up with lighting, misting, dripping etc. that has been running very smoothly for about a month, and a ficus and hibiscus growing wonderfully inside, as well as various climbing branches, vines, etc.

I am stuck tho because I can't decide on which phase of panther chameleon to get. Obviously I want a healthy, alert cham, but I am in love with all of the coloration I have seen while scouring the internet. I have come across a few sites that list about 20 different phases, with Nosy Be, Ambilobe, and Ambanja being the most readily available. My question is, are the phases merely different colorations, named for the area they are indigenous to, or does the phase difference also imply temperament and husbandry differences? I obviously want a beautiful animal, but I want whichever animal I decide on to be comfortable and well cared for. Thanks!

Nosy Faly, ambanjas, nosey be, ambilobe, nosy mitsio, ankaramy, sambava, etc... are all locales. Each locale is named for the closest occuring township within that animals range. Each locale is differntiated by their colors and by small diffs in body type. All panthers can be cared for basically the same. And you can even cross locales although lets not get into that debate.

Reall it all depends on your color preference. Do you like the blues & the greens or the yellows and the reds for a body color? Thats the main difference between each area or locale.

They're locale names. They are all panther chameleons and cared for the same way as any other panther/furcifer pardilis. Personally, I love Ambilobe's. Try looking at our sponsor websites for a cham you might like too. Maybe they will be at your show.

Ok that's what I thought, but with "d-day" drawing ever closer, I was worried that the knowledge I did have, might be local specific, instead of species/genus specific. Thanks for the info!

They're locale names. They are all panther chameleons and cared for the same way as any other panther/furcifer pardilis. Personally, I love Ambilobe's. Try looking at our sponsor websites for a cham you might like too. Maybe they will be at your show.

I checked out some of the sponsor sites, and if I don't find my little guy at the expo, I will definitely be ordering one off of the sites. I am very drawn to the Ambilobe's, and the Sambava's but a lot of the "cross breeds" are gorgeous as well.

Is there any way to really tell what young chams will look like when fully grown, other than seeing their parents/family histories? Or is it kinda just an exciting waiting game?

You can get a general idea as to the look of the baby. But Ive seen breeders have offspring that looked nothing like the sire/daddy. Its kind of a crapshoot as to how colorful the little guy will be. Of course its easier to see a babies potential by buying an older juvie. Say get a 4-5 month old male. By then he should be showing some color.

Is there any way to really tell what young chams will look like when fully grown, other than seeing their parents/family histories? Or is it kinda just an exciting waiting game?

It's like Christmas. Even knowing the parents and bloodline, every cham is uniquely beautiful. BTW, kudos to you for not impulse buying last year!

I figured it would just be a surprise and I think that makes it a little more exciting lol.

I am really glad I didn't impulse buy last year! The chams for sale were beautiful, but nothing about them seems to radiate "low-maintenance" and I didn't want to try to throw together a shoddy enclosure and end up making the little one miserable. Also I was bringing home a pit bull sized savannah monitor that day and a girl can only handle so much! lol.

Good job for doing a year worth of research. I give you a big hats off for that. I wish other new members where like you.
Usally looking at the chams sire or parents does not all way give you a good example of what your baby will become. For my Ambanja he is actually the complete oppisite from his daddy. But I love him so much. I wouldnt change him for the world.
My male Ambanja
036-1.jpg

His Sire
SoKool.jpg

What ever you decide. You cant go wrong they are all great color choices.

Good job for doing a year worth of research. I give you a big hats off for that. I wish other new members where like you.
Usally looking at the chams sire or parents does not all way give you a good example of what your baby will become. For my Ambanja he is actually the complete oppisite from his daddy. But I love him so much. I wouldnt change him for the world.
My male Ambanja
036-1.jpg

His Sire
SoKool.jpg

What ever you decide. You cant go wrong they are all great color choices.

Wow they really don't look anything like each other lol! I am definitely ok with being surprised, and I do love all of the colors/marking I have seen so far. I will keep doing research on these guys, and let you all know what I come home with! Thanks for all the help!

Yep, its a gift of color changing over a period or 15-18months. Good luck at the show. Take pictures. We will be waiting to see what you choose.

Back
Top Bottom