Panther "Morph" Pictorial...

Julirs

Back in 2008 I acquired a very fresh Nosy Be import. He was a typical rough and dirty import, and a deep green.
Evilnew.jpg

Here he is several sheds later:
Evil-1.jpg

And several more sheds and more than a year later:
Evilages.jpg

So...I breed him to a WC "Nosy" female from a "reputable breeder", and I get these 2 males:
NosyProof3.jpg

Time goes on and the top one in the above pic looks like this:
NosyProof.jpg

And the bottom one starts looking like this:
DSCN6856.jpg

And today at 1 year and 6 months they look like this...
The top one in the above pic:
DSCN7897.jpg

And the bottom one:
DSCN7893.jpg

Makes you think doesn't it? How people could get away with selling impure locales?

The last pic is insane to me.

I know I'm definitley no expert, but I was almost 100% certain that it had some ambilobe in it's genes... you were right when you said, "Makes you think doesn't it?"

They also look very green. Interesting, I just assumed they were all mostly blue (since thats the only colouration I've seen from them on the forums, breeders websites etc...).

You would be right-these are "Nosbilobes" for sure-but it sure is tricky-isn't it? :)

In this case there ended up being a clutch and then a retained clutch. There was 1 surviving male in the first clutch, and here he is (Belongs to forum member Bimac-Pic from 12/2010):
eb.jpg

There were 3 surviving males in the retained clutch, the 2 pictured above and then another that resembled the one Bimac owns.

Very tricky.

I also think I've seen that panther around the forums before, does he have a peice missing from his tail? I think he looks really kool non-the-less.

Very tricky.

I also think I've seen that panther around the forums before, does he have a peice missing from his tail? I think he looks really kool non-the-less.

Yes-the girl that owns him posts pics of him every once in awhile. He has a tiny piece of the end of his tail missing thanks to his sister!

Just guessing but maybe she was a Nosy Be girl that had a fling with an Amilobe at the exporters holding pen. Then after you got her she was already "fertile" so to speak. Even though you had mated that male, maybe his sperm didn't take because she was carrying? I'm not sure of the timeline involved so not sure if that is even plausible. Or maybe she just got into the wrong cage at some point and became "nosy be". The definately look like they got a lil amilobe in em

Very interesting either way thanks for sharing.

She was not gravid and I did not breed her for 4 months after I got her. Not that your scenario is impossible, but I think it is more likely she was either Ambilobe or Nosbilobe herself. :)

All I can say is my sister is crazy about the female she has from this pairing. What ever she is She will never leave Lee. She will also never be bred.

Just a point to mention there are green phase Nosy Be panthers. That's why it is a gamble buying WC females or if buying captive breds the importance of having pictures of at least the male.

Last edited:
There used to be two kinds of blue panthers from Nosy Be. The common light sky blue Nosy Be that is seen often and a deep dark blue that is not seen much anymore. I think Greaseball from the Chameleon Company is the closest I have seen recently to the dark blue Nosy Be. Allegedly the dark blue was an over collected phase in the wild and only came from one small region of Nosy Be. The last bit of information is from the Sticky Tongue chameleon video. I have not had the opportunity to travel to Nosy Be to confirm these reports.

Last edited:
This guy came in the same shipment as my guy-he was a dark blue Nosy with dark striping. He was owned by forum member Glittergloomgirl and produced gorgeous pure babies.
Turq.jpg

And you realize my male is a WC from Nosy Be, and as you can see he was green and then aged to blue?

Of course he is your chameleon and you would know his colors the best. Seems though he has got some green Nosy Be genetics since when you first imported him he was absolutely more green (displayed a green phenotype) than blue. As well, I have seen a couple of chameleons that had their colors improve with age.

Do you have a full picture of the guy in your avatar? My babies ended up being NosyXAmbilobe crosses.

sometimes he look like kinda blue,sometimes green with dark green bar, i think now he is bluegreen.. is mine is nosy-be?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 120
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 106
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 125
Back
Top Bottom