Panther licking Wood

mikeb666

My 4 month old male panther that i have had for about 5 weeks, He licks the branches he is on quite alot, he drinks alot , nearly every time the sprayer is on, he doesnt look dehydrated, when hes walking around he does stick a little bit of his tounge and touch the branch he is on( not a big lick , more of a little touch) , I normally see him do this a few times a day, and dont watch him 24/7.

any thing wrong or is that normal?

many thanks

Both of my male panthers do the exact same thing. They are big drinkers and i have one that licks everything, including me! I can hold the mister right up to one of them and he will open his mouth and let you drip water into it. Hope this helps some!

I think its pretty normal, there MAY be some sort of scent marking going on and/or checking for scents of other chams. Pretty sure I read this somewhere but don’t remember where.

-roo

Yup. I was at wits' end with a panther who was trying to rip the heck out of those plastic coated vines -- he would taste, and then bite, using his whole body to try to rip pieces off. I tried desperately to find out what mineral(s) might be missing in his diet that would make him turn to fake bark with such torso- torquing gusto. Then I discovered that my local pet store (part of a chain) restocks returned items right to the shelves, and it occurred to me that this vine might have belonged to somebody else and perhaps not been cleaned before or since its return. I replaced the vine, and the knawing stopped.
This does not, however, explain why my other guy has suddenly taken to knawing on the rim of the black plastic pot his Home Depot plant is in, and has been in since his babyhood. Time for a little hummus, I suspect. Cham keeping is crazy-making, no way around it --small price to pay and great incentive to keep learning and communing here.

Both of my male panthers do the exact same thing. They are big drinkers and i have one that licks everything, including me! I can hold the mister right up to one of them and he will open his mouth and let you drip water into it. Hope this helps some!

lol..thats awsome

Back
Top Bottom