Panther Lethargic & Weak

snipeusa14

Established Member
Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon: Ambilobe Male Panther Chameleon 1 1/2 years old
How long has it been in your care? A year and 3 months
Handling -Not very often, i leave the cage open for him whenever im in my room and he comes out whenever he wants.
Feeding - recently ive been giving him small meal worms about 5-10 a day,I gutload with repashy superload
Supplements - I dust my feeders with repashy all in one calcium plus every feeding
Watering - I have my mistking set up to spray 4-6 times a day for 1-2 minutes at a time.
Fecal Description - Iv noticed his fecal has been a lighter color brown recently thats all i can report at this time, and no my chameleon has never been tested for parasites
History - No

Cage Info:
Cage Type -Reptibreeze extra largae 24x24x48
Lighting - I have one reptisun 5.0 UVB one basking lamp about 75w the lights kick on at about 7am and turn off at 8pm
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? im not quite sure id have to go out and buy a temp gauge
Humidity - 75% mostly it varies whenever the mistking comes on
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? the only plant i have in there was an umbrella tree
Placement - the cage is in a corner away from vents, but it is near a ceiling fan
Location - south florida

Long story short I've noticed he stopped eating his food (for about 3 days going now)in the morning when he usually wakes up and eats, and this morning I saw he looks very "pale" just weak i decided to spray on water around the cage to maybe get him to move around and drink some water. He seems super weak and not himself sort of speak.
I will be posting pics later today when I get home
Thanks for the help on advanced

Last edited:
if he were mine I would just take him to a vet to be safe. constant feeding of the meal worms is not good for him either. switch to crickets or even dubia roaches. dust with the calcium without d3 everyday and a vitamin with d3 once a week or once every other week. safest bet is just to see a vet

Just looking quickly at your husbandry (I keep a veiled, so would have to check the care sheets on a panther to see exactly needs), but I'm not a fan of mealworms especially as a daily feeder. Have you tried offering different options? Variety might tempt him to eat. I've learned that incorrect temps and not enough UVB can cause a slow, listless behavior. If he can come out when he wants... how often and how long does he spend away from a UVB source? Not sure, just throwing out a couple of ideas. Sorry he's not feeling well :(

Also, you said you don't have a temp gauge but you know the humidity? You can get a temperature gauge from amazon. I would think you definitely should have one.

Have you seen his urates (white part)?

When my veiled became lethargic I took him to the vet and they couldn't find any major issues with him and I brought him home and noticed a live worm in his fecal matter. After getting his dewormer and applying it and giving him lots of natural sunlight he perked right up. It could be a number of things but that's always a possibility.

How long is it since you bought your UVB lamp? The UVB bulbs only works for about 10 months until they stop producing uvb. They need to be changed once awhile.

Mealworms are for a treat but not as a everyday food source. They can make your chameleon constipated What are you feeding other than mealworms?

Back
Top Bottom