Panther Hatchling....drinking water?

LizLemon

So, I have yet to see my baby (10 hours old) drink any water? Maybe he's doing it when I wasn't looking but I am misting the plant (ponthos) and he just stands there....is there anything else I should be doing to get him to drink? (First baby...and I am so paranoid)

Ok thank you! I am so paranoid lol

Only one has hatched so far and the others are just sitting there...is there a time frame or could it be awhile before the others hatch?

Did you do a diapose in your incubation?

If not, they can be spread out. I've experienced and have heard anywhere from 1-14 days apart for an entire clutch.

Yes I did do that. I have noticed two eggs are shrinking and doing the same thing the one just hatched did so here's hoping....

Still no babies except one, is that a bad sign? Also the hatchling that did come out seems to be doing great except he still has sac attached? It was quite big when he first come out (found him laying outside his egg and thought he was dead but just left him there because I was too scared to pick him up a few hours later he was up and moving around.It has shriveled up really tiny and barely hanging. I haven't put him in his enclosure yet because I am scared it will get caught on a vine and rip off. Is this normal though? He is two days old, not interested in food at all but is drinking really well now. Very active.

The sac will fall off or get snagged and fall off soon. As long as the yolk was still attached and soft the baby was getting all the nutrients it needed. Drinking is a great sign so expect him to eat soon.

What are you using as a first food?

Carl

fruit flies, should i offer something else? I have roaches but even the tiniest ones I have look too big. I am very unsure about it.

Fruit flies, crickets will get you started. After a few weeks baby roach's, tiny silkworms, fire brats and bean beetle larva could be offered.

Carl

Ok thanks for the information!!:) Is it unusual that 3 days has passed and none of the other eggs are hatching? Most of them are still big and white, but 3 have turned yellow and are shrinking :( No mold yet though.

Eggs can hatch out over a month or two. Unless they get moldy or start smelling real bad there is no reason to worry.

Carl

Thank you! I definitely feel better knowing that. I can see at least 12 that definitely look full of babies lol So I am really hoping soon we see some more action!

There is always the mysterious egg that never goes bad and doesn't develop. I can remember a few that got tossed after like 15-16 month's that showed no development while the balance of the clutch hatched out normally.

Carl

I have two eggs that have shrunk and turned really yellow....

But good news is the baby finally ate today :)

Great you should see them slit soon!

Great that he is eating! Soon you'll have lots of hungry mouth's.

Carl

You think this egg is about to hatch or gone bad? It's the really yellow one but the dark color is coming from the inside so it's not mold. Confused because the baby that just hatched didn't do this? lol Guess time will tell....

2ennkhd.jpg

Hatchilings

The hatchlings should not be removed from the incubating container for at least 24 hours. There is a higher likelyhood of other eggs hatching if the emerged babies remain present. The reason is not yet fully understood, but may be a pheramone or similar chemical trigger. The baby will be fine during this period as long as the humidity levels are kept properly high.

Just keep an eye on them, I have had a clutch hatch out over 5 weeks, and I am still waiting on one little white egg, that's just not ready yet.
Every time I see a clutch, I think, ok here we go, and buy a new Lady Clairol for all the grey hairs these little guys give me :)
sharl

Back
Top Bottom