Panther had a bad shed ! what do i do?

mrgreen22

My chameleon- panther chameleon , male, age: 1.5yr , has been in my care for a little over a year .
Handling- once or twice a week, as soon as his cage opens he lets himself out. super tame ,will walk right onto my hand.
Feeding- mostly superworms and crickets 6-10 every other day. now and then he gets some silkworms. all are well gut-loaded. my feeders eat healthier than I do most times, fresh veggies, kale ,carrots, apple, sweet pots.etc.
supplements- zoomed repti calcium w/o D3 most feedings, rep-cal herptivite multivitamin and reptivite with d3 twice a month ( everyother week) .every now and then ill use miner-all indoor with d3. it has a higher I.U. of d3.
watering- I mist his cage in the morning for about 30 sec, and he drinks right away , I usually see him drink so I know hes getting water. He even drinks water droplets off the screen cage. Then ill mist him around noon and last mist around 3:30-4. lights go off at 6.
Fecal Description - poop looks good most times , sometimes it will start to get slightly orange tint in urate. but ill give him a good misting or some silky and that goes away quick. I've never had his feces tested.
History- Got my cham from a breeder when he was 4 months. Hes always been a good eater and drinker. Never noticed any issues till now. I've always been a little obsessed on keeping my cham healthy.

Cage type- Zoomed reptibreeze 24''x24''x 48"
Lighting- 24'' zoomed 5.0 uvb , waiting on my arcadia lights to come:D
Temps- I have a digital gauge on top and bottom of cage. basking spot gets to 85-91F bottom of cage usually 68-71F .
Humidity- lowest 51%-when i mist it goes back up to 75-80% range then settles at 65-70%. use digital gauge to measure .
Plants - schefflera actinophylla tree , some fake vines, bromeliad at bottom of cage.
Placement- Corner of living room , next to a window . I usually keep blinds closed unless its sunny out and I open the window so the glass doesn't block uv's . I keep an eye on him so he doesnt get too hot. He always has a shady spot. or ill let him roam outside on ficus tree.
location- I live in southern California , aliso viejo . coastal .

Current problem- My chameleon had a bad shed. I noticed flaky skin on his ridge so i figured he was starting to shed. but it never really went away, and now you can see dry skin on his sides . I've been giving him good mists hoping it would kick start the shed, also tried giving him a shower. He's acting completely normal, still eating good drinking good super active. What should I do? do I need to take him to the vet? will this go away around next shed? or any solutions to help shed? I'll try and post good pics.

Does he let you handle him? If so, try removing it gently with a wet q tip. I have removed leftover shed stuck on the spikes this way. I don't think it is necessary to take him to a vet.

here are some pics

IMG_0173.jpg
IMG_0172.jpg

There is a possibility he got a mild burn from the basking light, can you post a close-up picture of his back and sides?

CHEERS!

Nick:D

Does he let you handle him? If so, try removing it gently with a wet q tip. I have removed leftover shed stuck on the spikes this way. I don't think it is necessary to take him to a vet.

Thanks ill try that. He has no problems with me handling him. Look at the pics you can see on his tail the skin is much brighter than the rest of his body.

There is a possibility he got a mild burn from the basking light, can you post a close-up picture of his back and sides?

CHEERS!

Nick:D

I feared that at first but i can see fresh skin under the parts that have flaked off. I was worried it was blistered at first but realized its dead skin. I'll try to get a good close up. You can kinda see it continues on his side. Can this be caused by a deficiency of some sort? or does this just happen form time to time. He usually sheds within 24hrs without issues.

Your pictures posted after my post. Looks like a shed and not a burn, especially at the base of the tail. I wouldn't worry about it, it will resolve it self soon with a shed, or later.

CHEERS!

Nick

Your pictures posted after my post. Looks like a shed and not a burn, especially at the base of the tail. I wouldn't worry about it, it will resolve it self soon with a shed, or later.

CHEERS!

Nick

Thank you all for your advice ! I've never seen this issue, so I just get cautious .

I agree with Nick and it is a shed and not a burn. Try to keep misting him down with warm water. That might help too.

Back
Top Bottom