Panther Chamleon(Fat Lip)

howasaur

My panther Chamleon has a fat lip well it looks that way. The lower front is turned down. It is eating properly had 2 hornworms, a couple of silks and crickets with no problem. Should I be concerned!!! He about 19" long and quite active. I'll try to get pictures

consider this

Consider this, are your temperatures and UVB proper? if your cage is too cool the chams can get abcesses which are infections that your cham has localized. put some pics up of his lip!

Last edited:
Localized tissue reaction from an abscess can cause tension in the tissues, which can turn the lip inside out like that. It looks pretty serious. I also know that when a portion of the mouth is made to stay open like that, then additional problems develop due to drying of the mucous membranes lining the lips, gums, and mouth interior. This looks like a trip to the vet to me, before things get worse. There is a vet (MWheelock) on the forum, perhaps he will chime in, if he sees your thread, or perhaps you could send him a personal message?

Last edited:
Looks like he may have damaged it in some way
perhaps a fall that you didn't see.

So the lip itself is swollen?
is he able to move it so that his lips are closed

Seems to me that he may require a little ointment.

good luck~

!!!

I WOULD DEF. GET THAT CHECKED OUT. That should absolutely be treated before getting any worse. Looks more infectious than a soft tissue damage to me. My advice is make an appointment.

Hi Thanks for the comments I have attached another picture close-up of lip. My Son moved a week ago and said Steve looked ok before the move so he may have fallen during the move.

In my experience, with most cases of mouth rot in chameleons, if the area is not properly debrided and the chameleon put on oral/injected antibiotics it will return and eventually go to other areas of the body....so I would advise you to take it to a vet.

A culture and sensitivity test should also be done to determine what bacteria is causing the problem and to determine which antibiotic will work best to kill it. Most often its pseudomonas aeruginosa that is involved....but you may find that there is even more than one bacteria in there.

BTW...mouth rot in chameleons is usually said to be the result of other issues...so you may want to look at your husbandry.

Good luck with it!

Back
Top Bottom