Panther Chameleon Supplies/Care/Baby/etc.

pwynne16

Hi my name is Pierce and i was curious if you could give me your opinion on my list of things needed in order to take care of a panther chameleon. Like tell me if i'm missing anything, need to switch out something, etc., oh and also so you know i am getting a hatchling 1-3 months ambilobe chameleon. Also other than supplies if any expierienced owners know any tips,tricks, or just general helpful info about panther chameleons specifically babies and how to care for them

here is my list of supplies that i am considering purchasing
  • REPTISUN T5 HO TERRARIUM HOOD 24 IN
  • Zoo Med ReptiBreeze Open Air Screen Cage, Extra Large, 24 x 24 x 48-Inches​

• Basking Spot Light

• 26+ Live Goliath Tomato Horn Worms - Full Pet Reptile Food Hornworm Habitat (breeding my own as well)​

• 250 live crickets (planning on breeding my own)​

• MistKing 22251 Starter Misting System V4.0​

• Reptile Fogger
  • BN-LINK Heavy Duty Digital Electric Programmable Dual Outlet Timer Plug (5)
  • 22inch 120W LED Light Bar
  • temp gun

Hi! It’s so great that you’re ‘doing your homework’ before getting your chameleon! 😊
You’ll need either a ReptiSun 5.0 or Arcadia 6% uvb for your T5 fixture. I prefer Arcadia as they are good for a year vs 6 months for ReptiSun.
What wattage basking bulb are you thinking of getting? As ideal temps for a baby shouldn’t exceed 80f, I’d say start with a 40 or 60w.
Temp guns are great for measuring surface temps. You’ll need a digital thermometer or two with a probe to measure air temps.
You’ll also need a hygrometer to measure humidity...digital is best.
Try some roaches as feeders - dubia or discoid are great. Much easier to start a breeding colony and they are much cleaner and quieter than crickets. Also I think are more nutritious. Silkworms are also a terrific feeder. You can start breeding your own, but it takes a little skill and trial and error.
Live plants! Live plants! Live plants! While Panthers don’t eat their plants like veileds do, it’s much nicer and beneficial to use real plants. Attaching some safe plant lists.
Dragon Ledges! Wonderful for hanging branches, vines and plants in a screen enclosure. https://dragonstrand.com/dragon-ledges/ Is easiest to install them before you assemble the enclosure.
For the health of your live plants, you should invest in some sort of plant lighting. I use these and they are strong enough even for light hungry hibiscus. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TKKG8Q3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I use this one for my leopard geckos plants (succulents) and it works great. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AKKULI6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Of course you’ll need branches and vines. I like using natural branches that I collect outside. I wash with dish soap, blast with the hose and sun dry. Avoid the black Exo terra vines as the finish of them can flake off.
How will you be managing drainage? There’s oh so many ways to manage it and it all comes down to how creative you are and your individual circumstances. Many use the Dragon Strand drainage trays. In 2 of my enclosures, I use other drainage trays and have the bottom as full as I can get it with plants, which suck up the extra water. This does make cleaning more of a chore, but I don’t mind. My other 2 are bioactive and I’ve really had no excess drainage issues.
Last thing that I can think of is a stand to elevate your enclosure. Chameleons feel safest when they are above us and being too low (such as on the floor) is stressful for them.
Oops! I lied! Supplements are super important! You’ll need a phosphorus free calcium without D3 for use with every feeding. Then you’ll need a multivitamin without D3 and a calcium with D3...or you could get a combo like Reptivite with D3. If you use the 2 separate multivitamin and calcium with D3, you’ll alternate using those for one feeding every week, so that each is given once every other week. If you use the Reptivite with D3, you’d use that one feeding every other week.
You’ll need some good healthy stuff to feed your feeders. I don’t specifically mean gutloading as I personally prefer to keep my bugs well fed all the time to keep them healthy and therefore, more nutritious.
4182F6F9-014A-4714-865C-F2D9EF7298F3.jpeg
8019AA9C-B39A-40E5-B4E3-FD307F83E89C.jpeg
F4B35B3D-3370-4BA4-8CE7-078E5F797A46.jpeg
0B1C27B5-2111-4814-AC7C-FFC54CCC29F7.jpeg

Wow! thank you so much! So the list i have is good for a panthered chameleon? Also what plants do you think are best for chameleo s i know that there are options but what are your favorites

I must still be wiped out from my work weekend...I gave you 2 gutload sheets. I meant to give gutload and feeder sheets. Regarding feeders, if your panther is teeny tiny, you’ll be needing appropriately sized feeders. Tiny babies are usually given fruit flies, pinhead crickets and bean beetles. If he’s 2 months or younger, you’ll want to have those on hand. At around 3 months you’ll want slightly larger crickets.
For plants, pothos and philodendron are the favorite of many. You’ll want a taller centerpiece plant, like a money tree, umbrella plant.
What I give my chameleons for supplements is phosphorus free calcium without D3 at every feeding. Then one feeding every other week I use Reptivite with D3. This is easiest for me and I like that the Reptivite has preformed vitamin A, which is good for eye health.

Attachments

• DB6F03E3-B4BA-4BA1-B858-74DFD168F142.jpeg
    DB6F03E3-B4BA-4BA1-B858-74DFD168F142.jpeg
    192.3 KB · Views: 107
i have now decided to get a three month old, any breeders or recommended websites. i chameleon paradise ok?

also does it matter how many crickets you buy, in my expierience of buying them before they normally eat each other

i have now decided to get a three month old, any breeders or recommended websites. i chameleon paradise ok? also does it matter how many crickets you buy, in my expierience of buying them before they normally eat each other

i have now decided to get a three month old, any breeders or recommended websites. i chameleon paradise ok? also does it matter how many crickets you buy, in my expierience of buying them before they normally eat each other

I would tell you to check the forum sponsors, of which Chameleon Paradise is one. Doing a quick search of them, many have been pleased with the breeder and his chameleons. Try the site again that JannB gave you the link for. It works for me and they have some beautiful babies.
For crickets, the main things in keeping them is keeping their bin clean & very well ventilated. They literally poop/fart themselves to death if you don’t. I haven’t really run into them eating each other and would think that they wouldn’t as long as you keep them well fed. I keep mine in a large bin that I’ve cut some of the sides and lid out and hot glued window screening over. I order anywhere from 250-500 at a time from here https://www.ghann.com/Live-Crickets-C2.aspx Some of the forum sponsors sell a variety of feeders, which you may want to try. If you’re looking to start your own roach colony, I highly recommend the forum ‘bug lord’ https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/bulk-feeder-roach-sale-some-fl-legal-species.180874/
An incredible site for learning so very much is https://chameleonacademy.com/ The podcasts are great! As you may see, we use several of CA graphics. Another great source of info is Neptune the chameleon on YouTube. And of course, keep asking questions here! ;)

if you don’t mind me asking. where are you getting your baby panther from? i can’t find any online and i’ve wanted on for quite a while

if you don’t mind me asking. where are you getting your baby panther from? i can’t find any online and i’ve wanted on for quite a while
Starting your own thread would be helpful, but the site sponsors here (aside from LLL Reptiles and FL Chams) are all great places to look! There are other great ones, as well. Whatever you decide on, check the reviews online and here (you can ask on here, as well) to make sure they're reputable with healthy chams

Hi so I have the chameleon and I have found this fungus or something growing on one for eh branches any ideas if it’s toxic or not?

B3A9971E-4DAE-4FAB-B848-056D8297ABE6.jpeg
80864C35-1A03-491A-ABDB-6F68DAF971B3.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom