Panther chameleon burn

Never put basking lamps/lights sitting on top of viv. If you have had chameleons for 4 years you should know that, everybody beiing proud of a thermal burn, whatever

Last edited:
Never put basking lamps/lights sitting on top of viv. If you have had chameleons for 4 years you should know that, everybody beiing proud of a thermal burn, whatever

This owner is seeking help. If you don't have anything helpful to say, I suggest you refrain from commenting. I also fail to see how anyone here is "proud" of a thermal burn.

OP - excellent advice has already been given. Keep us posted on his recovery!

It should be applied fairly generously twice a day. Be careful not to get it in the eyes.
YESSS omgoodness he is a lil burnt right up on top. This happened to mine too when I got my very first Camillion. How many inches away is he from his basking light? And what kind of light do u use the brand and watts and how many hrs is his light on a day?? please??

YESSS omgoodness he is a lil burnt right up on top. This happened to mine too when I got my very first Camillion. How many inches away is he from his basking light? And what kind of light do u use the brand and watts and how many hrs is his light on a day?? please??
I slowly and gently put neosporin on it every day till it healed.

Is it possible that the UV light could have burned him? I have an 18" t8 5.0 fluorescent bulb. The basking light is a 75w Zoo med. He's in a 48"x24" screen enclosure.The basking light isnt that close, to even burn the plants it is probably about 8" away from the light where he basks. In addition the basking light has been off. I don't get it.. there was a point where he got right up under the UV bulb (because it is sitting on top of the screen)like really close and that was when I noticed the burn was after that.

Is it possible that the UV light could have burned him? I have an 18" t8 5.0 fluorescent bulb. The basking light is a 75w Zoo med. He's in a 48"x24" screen enclosure.The basking light isnt that close, to even burn the plants it is probably about 8" away from the light where he basks. In addition the basking light has been off. I don't get it.. there was a point where he got right up under the UV bulb (because it is sitting on top of the screen)like really close and that was when I noticed the burn was after that.

When they get burned, it takes awhile for it to show up.

UVB sunburns humans, can it cause similar burns to reptiles?
I’ve raised mine to allow UVI at about 6-7 at the ceiling. Those 5.0 reptisun bulbs will put out about UVI 15+ sitting on the cage which would certainly burn our skin

I got this cream now, I am going to try it twice a day as suggested. How would I go about raising the UV light? It is 18" wide, maybe just a few blocks under each side or something?

Attachments

• 15935221466681692309810515147326.jpg
    15935221466681692309810515147326.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 69
I got this cream now, I am going to try it twice a day as suggested. How would I go about raising the UV light? It is 18" wide, maybe just a few blocks under each side or something?
So I would upgrade the T8 to T5HO. Unfortunately if you raise the T8 then he will get hardly any UVB. T8's produce much lower levels. With a 5.0 bulb in a single bulb fixture he would need to be within inches of it to get the right UVI level. If you upgrade to a T5HO fixture with a single bulb and get either a 5.0 or 6% UVB bulb then you would be able to drop basking to 9 inches below. This would give the correct UVI for him of about a 3. Get a 24 inch fixture to run the entire width of the middle of the enclosure and have a basking branch down below the fixture. Take a look at the first graphic on this page. It will show you the difference between a T8 6% and a T5 6%. Both would be equivalent to a 5.0 bulb. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-cage-set-up-replicating-the-sun/

Now with the basking light. Is it by chance a focused heat bulb? The kind that indicate it is a spot light? If so these produce much hotter focused beams of light and heat. If that is what it is I would switch it out for a standard incandescent bulb.

So I would upgrade the T8 to T5HO. Unfortunately if you raise the T8 then he will get hardly any UVB. T8's produce much lower levels. With a 5.0 bulb in a single bulb fixture he would need to be within inches of it to get the right UVI level. If you upgrade to a T5HO fixture with a single bulb and get either a 5.0 or 6% UVB bulb then you would be able to drop basking to 9 inches below. This would give the correct UVI for him of about a 3. Get a 24 inch fixture to run the entire width of the middle of the enclosure and have a basking branch down below the fixture. Take a look at the first graphic on this page. It will show you the difference between a T8 6% and a T5 6%. Both would be equivalent to a 5.0 bulb. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-cage-set-up-replicating-the-sun/

Now with the basking light. Is it by chance a focused heat bulb? The kind that indicate it is a spot light? If so these produce much hotter focused beams of light and heat. If that is what it is I would switch it out for a standard incandescent bulb.
Yes it was a spot basking lamp I switched it for an incandescent bulb it has a blue coating on it? Iit seems more gentle it's what I used when they were smaller and Never had any problems.

I am yet ng to build a large outdoor enclosure that I can move home to I live in South Florida so there is plenty of sun and heat for him out there. Thank you so much for all of your advice!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200630-111009.jpg
    Screenshot_20200630-111009.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 68
Yes it was a spot basking lamp I switched it for an incandescent bulb it has a blue coating on it? Iit seems more gentle it's what I used when they were smaller and Never had any problems.

I am yet ng to build a large outdoor enclosure that I can move home to I live in South Florida so there is plenty of sun and heat for him out there. Thank you so much for all of your advice!
So these bulbs can cause thermal burns. The focused beam is not good for chams. In the mean time if your needing to get him farther away from the UVB then the only way to do this is with a T5HO. The T8 will be useless and provide nothing at a distance of over 5 inches.

So these bulbs can cause thermal burns. The focused beam is not good for chams. In the mean time if your needing to get him farther away from the UVB then the only way to do this is with a T5HO. The T8 will be useless and provide nothing at a distance of over 5 inches.
Ok thank you so much I will try the Incandescent bulb and try getting the t5 high output bulb raised above the cage as you suggested. I got a tube of prescription silver sulfadiazine and I am hoping that along with your advice wi help the problem. I really appreciate the advice as I have other chameleons and don't want anything to happen to them. They have different setups as they are smaller. Thank you

Ok thank you so much I will try the Incandescent bulb and try getting the t5 high output bulb raised above the cage as you suggested. I got a tube of prescription silver sulfadiazine and I am hoping that along with your advice wi help the problem. I really appreciate the advice as I have other chameleons and don't want anything to happen to them. They have different setups as they are smaller. Thank you
Your welcome. I hope he gets to feeling better soon. Since you have the right cream now that should help. Just apply generously 2 times a day as another member suggested.

Things can happen. Even to the most experienced keepers. :)

Your welcome. I hope he gets to feeling better soon. Since you have the right cream now that should help. Just apply generously 2 times a day as another member suggested.

Things can happen. Even to the most experienced keepers. :)
Just checking in to see how your little man is doing :unsure:
I just wanted to post an update he is looking a lot better after using this new burn cream for a few days, also switched out the light for an incandescent style bulb even though the guy at the reptile store tried and tried and tried to sell me a spot light syle, telling me that the incandescent style heat bulb ( with a chameleon pictured right on the box )would do nothing for him. Here is a update photo from this morning

Attachments

• IMG_20200702_072344.jpg
    IMG_20200702_072344.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 71
Back
Top Bottom