Panther chameleon burn

Rawlydouglas

Hi I believe my chameleon was burned and I've tried silvadene and it does not seem to be getting any better, I have tried removing his basking lamp and allowing him to bask in natural sunlight each day however his back is not getting any better. Also his back knee cap area.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20200621_115745.jpg
    IMG_20200621_115745.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_20200621_115750.jpg
    IMG_20200621_115750.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 175
Hi I believe my chameleon was burned and I've tried silvadene and it does not seem to be getting any better, I have tried removing his basking lamp and allowing him to bask in natural sunlight each day however his back is not getting any better. Also his back knee cap area.

That's a burn all right.

Before I got a chameleon, I read every thread on this website about proper husbandry, I read posts for 2 straight days, and asked breeders every question I thought reasonable to know.......I have had O problems

Before I got a chameleon, I read every thread on this website about proper husbandry, I read posts for 2 straight days, and asked breeders every question I thought reasonable to know.......I have had O problems
This doesn't help me much I've had chameleons for about 4 years now, never had any issues. We got a taller umbrella plant, he climbed to close to his basking lamp and burned himself and I am trying to find out how to treat it.

Did he have the silver sulfadiazine cream on the burn in that picture? I do not see any which is why I am asking.

Did he have the silver sulfadiazine cream on the burn in that picture? I do not see any which is why I am asking.

I applied the silvadene maybe 3 days before this picture and I reapplied it after I took the picture. It doesn't seem to bother him much and he's very easy to handle so treating him isn't an issue I'm just trying to figure out what I should use or if I should take him to an exotic vet, I just know those can get very expensive. Not saying money is of concern I want him to be healthy and happy. It is just really hard to get him seen with the whole covie everywhere is closed around here.

I applied the silvadene maybe 3 days before this picture and I reapplied it after I took the picture. It doesn't seem to bother him much and he's very easy to handle so treating him isn't an issue I'm just trying to figure out what I should use or if I should take him to an exotic vet, I just know those can get very expensive. Not saying money is of concern I want him to be healthy and happy. It is just really hard to get him seen with the whole covie everywhere is closed around here.
But you are using this>>> silver sulfadiazine cream?

Would this be better to get this cream?
Yes this is what you want... You will need to make a vet visit more then likely to get the correct stuff. That may be why your not seeing an improvement. I don't know if the other is wrong exactly but I know it is not the same stuff that all the more experienced keepers recommend. The silver sulfadiazine cream is an actual burn cream and antibacterial treatment for the infection.

I'm not familiar with either cream...I'm from Canada and that might be why...but I don't see the words silver sulfadiazine on the first one.
I think the second one might be better. (My vet always prescribed a medication called flamazine. It's used for lots of things besides burns...so I kept it on hand always. It can treat a lot of different bacteria, fungal infections, etc.)

Last edited:
Looks like flamazine is a trade name for silver sulfadiazine. The first product is also using silver as it’s active ingredient, but I’m not sure if it’s comparable to the other as far as concentration/dosing

I would consult with a vet to ensure you’re properly dosing the meds and caring for the burn in general

Yup...flamazine is a trade name....just wasn't sure if the concentration was the same as the other silver medications. I don't have any of it handy.
The label in the first photo is blurry on my tablet and I missed the word silverat first. Must be getting old and blind! :)

That is one of my questions as well. I’m not sure about the concentration and dosing

Not sure if this is the same as the vets flamazine...but..."Flamazine is a white cream, containing 1% w/w of silver sulfadiazine. Nonmedicinal ingredients: cetyl alcohol, distilled water, glycerol stearate, liquid paraffin, polysorbate 60, polysorbate 80, and propylene glycol"
https://www.medbroadcast.com/drug/getdrug/flamazine
One more site...
https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/immunology-and-microbiology/silver-sulfadiazine
"We" used to use it for areas where it could get into the eyes or mouth because it was usually safe for the reptile if it did get there.
It kills many of the bacteria that reptiles get as well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom