Panther cham tongue sticking out.

@kinyonga Am I seeing MBD? Chams mouth and that elbow in the front arm?
Looks like it to me.

when a chameleon has MBD it's important to correct your husbandry so it won't come back as well as correcting the calcium levels in the bones to make them strong again. The muscles will be affected too...they need calcium to work. The calcium levels usually need a liquid calcium to bring the levels back up along with the proper husbandry as I said.

Last edited:
His colors look grey and ashy a bit, if he isnt about to shed....something is def off. All the advice here is solid. Hoping for some new pics soon of a healthier happier boy!

Bought hornworms instead of mealworms. Ate these ok?
just as long as they aren't too big. The rule of thumb is the space between the eyes is the largest size you can go. Keep a close eye on them as hornworms grow FAST. Otherwise, they are great for hydration for you cham! :D (y)

Looks like it to me.

when a chameleon has MBD it's important to correct your husbandry so it won't come back as well as correcting the calcium levels in the bones to make them strong again. The muscles will be affected too...they need calcium to work. The calcium levels usually need a liquid calcium to bring the levels back up along with the proper husbandry as I said.
Thank you! I appreciate you confirming. I do not like saying that outright unless I know for sure. First time I have seen the jaw effected first but I had a feeling it was due to the lower levels of calcium without D3 supplementation.

Could not find repashy calcium plus LOS I will try online. Bought exo terra multi for the time being. Also dumped mealworms and bought hornworms. Are these worms good?
You can give him 1 or 2 horns a day. You may want to cycle them 24 hours in the fridge on the door 24 hours out so they do not grow as fast. Only hand feed these. They have very strong suction and can hurt his tongue if you branch feed or cup feed.

Return the exo terra mutlivitamin it does not have preformed vitamin A in it and it has calcium with D3. Order the Reptivite without D3.

You need to start using your supplements correctly. So calcium without D3 6 days a week then the calcium with D3 and the reptivite without D3 at 1 feeding. These two rotate week to week so that your only giving each one 2 times a month.

You can give him 1 or 2 horns a day. You may want to cycle them 24 hours in the fridge on the door 24 hours out so they do not grow as fast. Only hand feed these. They have very strong suction and can hurt his tongue if you branch feed or cup feed.

Return the exo terra mutlivitamin it does not have preformed vitamin A in it and it has calcium with D3. Order the Reptivite without D3.

You need to start using your supplements correctly. So calcium without D3 6 days a week then the calcium with D3 and the reptivite without D3 at 1 feeding. These two rotate week to week so that your only giving each one 2 times a month.
The proper supplements come tomorrow. He ate 1 hornworm and his usual crickets. But about 2 hrs after the hornworn, I think I saw him try to vomit. I'm desperately trying to find a reptile vet that is open. Mine is closed till Monday

The proper supplements come tomorrow. He ate 1 hornworm and his usual crickets. But about 2 hrs after the hornworn, I think I saw him try to vomit. I'm desperately trying to find a reptile vet that is open. Mine is closed till Monday
How does he look today as far as his eyes and urates? Still hydrated? Try to keep him eating and drinking. Use the smaller hornworms right now. Then to the vet Monday. Just make sure they have chameleon experience or at least reptile experience.

Last edited:
How does he look today as far as his eyes and urates? Still hydrated? Try to keep him eating and drinking. Use the smaller hornworms right now. Then to the vet Monday. Just make sure they have chameleon experience or at least reptile experience.
Looks the same. He did eat crickets and drink
Water today. However, about 2 hrs after he ate the small hornworm, I saw him throw up i think. But by the time my brain processed what I thought I was seeing, he sucked up the mucus slimy particle. I know it wasn't his tongue that I saw. After he did this, he moved back toward the top of the cage and acted fine. Not sure whst I saw

Looks the same. He did eat crickets and drink
Water today. However, about 2 hrs after he ate the small hornworm, I saw him throw up i think. But by the time my brain processed what I thought I was seeing, he sucked up the mucus slimy particle. I know it wasn't his tongue that I saw. After he did this, he moved back toward the top of the cage and acted fine. Not sure whst I saw
Ok so he is at the point of needing an experienced reptile vet... you just need to try to stay calm and just know your doing everything you can in this moment for him. It is good that he is still eating and drinking. I’m sorry your going through this hun. I know how stressful a sick chameleon is. Let us know how he is doing tomorrow. :)

Ok so he is at the point of needing an experienced reptile vet... you just need to try to stay calm and just know your doing everything you can in this moment for him. It is good that he is still eating and drinking. I’m sorry your going through this hun. I know how stressful a sick chameleon is. Let us know how he is doing tomorrow. :)
Thanks. I can't find an experienced vet that is open. Will see one on monday.

Update- karma ate 3 crickets and drank water this am. Tongue is back normal. Not sticking out. Still going to find a vet (Sundays seem to be the big day off for veterinarians). Repashy calcium plus LOD being delivered tomorrow.

Update- karma ate 3 crickets and drank water this am. Tongue is back normal. Not sticking out. Still going to find a vet (Sundays seem to be the big day off for veterinarians). Repashy calcium plus LOD being delivered tomorrow.
Good so he is getting the calcium without D3 each feed since we explained the schedule?

With the LoD some chams do great on it and some have issues with edema. So just watch him on this. But the vet may decide they want you to give liquid calcium for a while instead.

Good so he is getting the calcium without D3 each feed since we explained the schedule?

With the LoD some chams do great on it and some have issues with edema. So just watch him on this. But the vet may decide they want you to give liquid calcium for a while instead.
Yes. Following the schedule of supplements.

Attachments

• 20201011_090531.jpg
    20201011_090531.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 57
Back
Top Bottom