Panther Cham Has A Broken Tongue

I like the 3 supplement method plain calcium most feedings then alternate multi vit no d3v & d3 once a fortnight with sticky tongue farms;

Monday, Wednesday, Friday Arcadia Calcium with added Mg. Sunday reptivite no d3 then Tuesday, Thursday calcium then Saturday sticky farms indoor (moderate d3 content) rinse and repeat.

I should add I quite often skip the D3 supplement in summer, Also when my UV bulb is fresh but that will just confuse most people just my organised chaos 😅

I see alot of peeps do calcium most feeds and the repashy lod twice a month which think has all the vits & minerals in one though 👍

okay is there a certain brand you would recommend? i want to make sure i get the correct one. thank you so much!
I would just keep it simple... Get this one for your plain without D3 calcium 6oz jar... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N3BKCGA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This one would be given at every feeding starting as soon as you get it.
Then you are going to throw away the repashy calcium plus you have and buy this to replace the multivitamin This is the correct version. 3oz jar https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DLJRMV2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This one would be 2 times a month only say the 1st and the 15th. But hold off on giving this one for 4-6 weeks so that he can clear the toxicity from the overdose from his body.

Last edited:
I would just keep it simple... Get this one for your plain without D3 calcium 6oz jar... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N3BKCGA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This one would be given at every feeding starting as soon as you get it.
Then you are going to throw away the repashy calcium plus you have and buy this to replace the multivitamin This is the correct version. 3oz jar https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DLJRMV2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This one would be 2 times a month only say the 1st and the 15th. But hold off on giving this one for 4-6 weeks so that he can clear the toxicity from the overdose from his body.
okay thank you so much!!! is there a certain bug that would be best to use with this calcium?

okay thank you so much!!! is there a certain bug that would be best to use with this calcium?
So any feeder insect you use you want to supplement. We do this to balance the phosphorus to calcium ratio of the insect. I would use feeders that you can easily hold up to your cham though. He will need a lot of assistance being able to eat since his function of the tongue has been so badly compromised by the over supplementation of the multivitamin.

So any feeder insect you use you want to supplement. We do this to balance the phosphorus to calcium ratio of the insect. I would use feeders that you can easily hold up to your cham though. He will need a lot of assistance being able to eat since his function of the tongue has been so badly compromised by the over supplementation of the multivitamin.
Okay sounds great! Mealworms are a good option right?

yes! i live pretty close to that vet! One that I have perviously gone to was in Corona, CA. Is that also a good vet?
I’ve no idea about the one in Corona, but I do know that Dr Greek is very experienced and knowledgeable with chameleons. If I lived in that area, he would be my choice.

Okay sounds great! Mealworms are a good option right?
Mealworms would be a poor option. They are low in nutritional value... You need something like crickets, dubia roaches, etc that gutload well. Something like silkworms would be very good as well.

Mealworms would be a poor option. They are low in nutritional value... You need something like crickets, dubia roaches, etc that gutload well. Something like silkworms would be very good as well.
Okay, I will give him some dubias with the calcium w out d3. Thank you so much!! Are there any other major things that I should take note of? Ive been giving him lots of water.

I’m in Florida, so can only go by whatever lists I find on line. However, I have heard of Dr Greek and he’s been on chameleon academy podcasts, so I know that he is knowledgeable about chameleons. You can do a search of the forum for posts about LA vets and see what comes up.

I’m in Florida, so can only go by whatever lists I find on line. However, I have heard of Dr Greek and he’s been on chameleon academy podcasts, so I know that he is knowledgeable about chameleons. You can do a search of the forum for posts about LA vets and see what comes up.
ohhhhh that makes sense. thank you so much!

Okay, I will give him some dubias with the calcium w out d3. Thank you so much!! Are there any other major things that I should take note of? Ive been giving him lots of water.
Looks like a T8 fixture as well... So he would not be getting the UVB he needs. You need a T5HO fixture with a 5.0 or 6% linear uvb bulb. Then you want this set on top of the cage and the basking branches below it to be 8-9 inches down. This is important for chams to have the correct UVB source. Your T8 just does not have the output distance for a chameleon's needs. Start reading through every module here https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Black soldier fly larvae may be known as calci worms or phoenix worms in your location, have been said to contain high calcium levels.

I would still supplement them though, and vary diet with other feeders. You can feed the slow flying soldier fly's too when the pupate 👍

Looks like a T8 fixture as well... So he would not be getting the UVB he needs. You need a T5HO fixture with a 5.0 or 6% linear uvb bulb. Then you want this set on top of the cage and the basking branches below it to be 8-9 inches down. This is important for chams to have the correct UVB source. Your T8 just does not have the output distance for a chameleon's needs. Start reading through every module here https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/
He has a zoomed reptisun T5HO 5.0 uvb. I just recently replaced the light. He is basking there right now. The breeder we got him from said it was that the light was probably old so we replaced it. The breeder also said to use an incandescent 60w light bulb jut for light. Is this a good thing to do? or should I use a different light?

Black soldier fly larvae may be known as calci worms or phoenix worms in your location, have been said to contain high calcium levels.

I would still supplement them though, and vary diet with other feeders. You can feed the slow flying soldier fly's too when the pupate 👍
Thank you so much! He loves BSFL. and dubias.

Sorry I posted without checking your original issue with tongue. Obviously tongue would need to be working to get the fly's though

Back
Top Bottom