Panther cham colors

binaryterror

Hi, I know that panthers are very colorful. But what color are they when they are just relaxed? I heard that they change to really bright when excited or something. So does that mean they are blah colored most of the time? Thanks

The main relaxed coloration for most male panthers is green, which I don't find all that blah. Most of the time, they will show other colors as well when they are relaxed, just not to the same intensity as when they are fired up. The nose be panther is blue at rest and a more intense blue when excited. Females are generally a peach/pink/tan color.

Heika

I have what I believe to be a Picasso Panther, and he gets his most beautiful coloration when he's sleeping. During the day his normal colors ar boue, green, and dots of red. Once the lights are out...it's like looking at a different cham. He gets shades of red, orange, and white, with almost no blue or green.
(just my 2 cents)

Chams should be fairly active during the day, whether it's hunting for food, hanging out under their basking spot, or just cruising through the branches checking things out. Chams, like humans, do most if not all of their sleeping at night.

I can't personally speak for Jacksons as I've never kept one, but I believe all chams should be active during the day.

Thanks, I was just asking because I always thought that cham just sat in one spot all day. But I guess I was wrong! So Panthers are out and about most of the day then?

Last edited:
You have to remember that you should be offering lots of cover and foliage for them. Don't expect to be seing them out in the open all the time. They can be very concious of being seen.

Yeah, I asked because I am trying to decide if a chameleon is right for me. Because I want something that is going to be somewhat active. And if a chameleon was inactive and not able to be handled, then that would not be too fun!

Not much fun?!

Chameleons are fairly inactive in comparasion, and they are not to be handled nearly often. However, It think the amount of chameleon hobbyist here along proove that keeping them is more than fun. Its a challenge to.

If your not looking for a challenge, then No, chameleons aren't for you. They require a lot of attention to their care.

Thanks, but I went to Petsmart today (yes I know...) and I saw a female Jacksons there. They said it killed the male that was in there with her, and she was gaping alot. But I held her and it was really neat. But before today, I saw them there. I could have watched them for hours! How they just steadily moved along there tank (yes I know...). So, I think a chameleon will be what I am getting! But I am still trying to decide between a Jacksons or a Panther.

Binary....if you are looking for a rep to handle, and likes to be handled, you should consider a bearded dragon. We have one and they are incredibly social little creatures that love to interact with people. Chams are truly hands off. Here's a pic of my boy that I took this evening.

Picasso10_10_06.jpg

Yeah, I have been going back and forth between a BD and a cham. The only thing holding me back from getting a cham for sure is that I dont want it if it is just going to sit in 1 spot all day. But if they move around, and explore all day long... then I can live with not touching them because it is really cool to watch them.

But I am thinking about a BD. Since I could watch TV with him, and play with him and stuff. But there are somany people that have them. And I kinda wanted to be a little different and more creative with my new pet. But I am leaving me decision to which suits me better, not what I want.

Does your BD move around alot? I have seen a ton at Petsmart, and they just sit there and stare at you.

But I am thinking about a BD. Since I could watch TV with him, and play with him and stuff. But there are somany people that have them. And I kinda wanted to be a little different and more creative with my new pet. But I am leaving me decision to which suits me better, not what I want.

Does your BD move around alot? I have seen a ton at Petsmart, and they just sit there and stare at you.

I am not sure if you are going to find an overly active chameleon. They won't work a wheel like a gerbil..? Mine don't pace the cage, and that sounds like what you want. A chameleon that is in constant movement is usually stressed. They bask, they do their daily patrol of the cage, they drink, they eat, they go to the poop spot and poop, and then go to the sleep spot to sleep.

But, mainly, they sit in one spot for a while.. and then move to another spot where they sit some more. I love to watch them, but I am really content with watching them be content. My brevs are generally more active than my panthers because they interact with one another, but even they spend large portions of their day sitting in the same spot looking like a leaf. Bearded dragons are definately more active, but they spend a lot of time basking and sitting in one spot too.

Sounds like you are looking for something with a lot of color that is really active and enjoys being handled. Have you considered a parrot?

Heika

I have never considered one, but I just saw one at Pet Supplies Plus that was $2000! Thats a little much for me, lol! But if I knew where to get a cheaper one, then I would definatly do that! And, I think I am going to get a chameleon. I think I will really enjoy watching them.

Do you know where to get parrots???

Ok, I have been looking into the parrots all day today. I am still not sure, because I am afraid it will smell, and be really loud. If I got one, it would be a smaller type like the mini macaw.

So now, it is between a BD, a cham, and a freaking parrot!!! OMG!!!!

Beardies are very cool. They are very active. Our baby runs around every morning chasing crickets. As long as they have the right set up they will be very active and very happy. They are also content to be held and sit on you. I would not suggest getting one from PetSmart, we purchased ours from a breeder at the MARS show, but you can get them online from reputable breeders. I've seen many at the PetSmart near me and they look just like you describe.....to me it's sad. The reason you see them that way is because they are stressed. There are WAAAAy too many in the tank for one thing, and the other thing is they keep them in tiny tanks that really aren't even big enough for one. A single baby beardie should be kept in a minimum of a 20 gal tank with no substrate other than paper towels. If you want more info, just PM me.

Uromastyx

You should look into a Uromastyx

http://www.kingsnake.com/uromastyx/

They make a great and different reptile pet

Some info I had in my computer I got off the net:

They range in size - avg - 14 - 30 inches

They can be colorful or brown

ornatus - very tame , are sexually dimorphic with adult males being green or blue green with blotches of yellows and oranges. Females have more subtle yellows, browns, and some orange, usually under 14 inches in total length

acanthinurus - can be shy, can be yellow, green, bright orange or a combination of these colors, usually under 14 inches in total length

aegyptius - largest member of the genus with individuals reaching 30 inches or more in total length and weighing several pounds., can be shy, usually dark to light brown

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 144
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 141
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 150
Back
Top Bottom