Pale Spots on the crest of my Veiled Chameleon

Hello Chameleon Fam,

I adopted a veiled Chameleon 2 days ago from a home that I do not think took good care of the little guy. He is about 2 years old.

He is mid shed and likely under stress from the new environment m. However, there are some parts of his scales that are pale and do not change with the rest of his skin. They are along the edge of his back crest and there is a rather large spot on his veil. I worry that this may be a sign of illness.

Any Ideas? I know he is not dehydrated

Attachments

• 11CE556F-1483-4471-8A01-04DF51F413A5.jpeg
    11CE556F-1483-4471-8A01-04DF51F413A5.jpeg
    308 KB · Views: 104
  • A14AE1D1-31BF-4EBC-994C-35E9AB0AAEBC.jpeg
    A14AE1D1-31BF-4EBC-994C-35E9AB0AAEBC.jpeg
    256.5 KB · Views: 99
  • 7714C554-4FEA-421C-9112-7F140E5CD6F9.jpeg
    7714C554-4FEA-421C-9112-7F140E5CD6F9.jpeg
    226.6 KB · Views: 89
Oh thank you! He’s also missing some spikes so I think he’s been through some rough times. I will check the basking temp throughout the day today to see how it fluctuates.

Thats gonna be way too hot for him, did he have the missing spikes when you got him too? You need just a regular incandescent 60w bulb. Also what are you using for UVB light?
Yes I just got him 2 days ago and the previous owner gave me this light for him, so I assume that’s what he’s been using all along.

Yes it can, i just personally don't trust them, and 100w its really not necessary. Just my 2cents
Makes sense. It can hard for people to get an appropriate distance too. I have a 100w but I did a lot of experimenting BEFORE I got my chameleon. I definitely agree as it's always a bad call to experiment w anything while your chameleon is in the enclosure. Good call 😊😊

Hello Chameleon Fam,

I adopted a veiled Chameleon 2 days ago from a home that I do not think took good care of the little guy. He is about 2 years old.

He is mid shed and likely under stress from the new environment m. However, there are some parts of his scales that are pale and do not change with the rest of his skin. They are along the edge of his back crest and there is a rather large spot on his veil. I worry that this may be a sign of illness.

Any Ideas? I know he is not dehydrated

update for all the wonderful people who commented to help me: I scheduled a vet apt to get him checked out. As of right now he is still eating a lot and climbing well! I am hoping 🤞🏼🤞🏼 Any health impairment he has is external

update for all the wonderful people who commented to help me: I scheduled a vet apt to get him checked out. As of right now he is still eating a lot and climbing well! I am hoping 🤞🏼🤞🏼 Any health impairment he has is external
Sounds good! Are you getting a fecal test done for him too?

Yes it can, i just personally don't trust them, and 100w its really not necessary. Just my 2cents

Makes sense. It can hard for people to get an appropriate distance too. I have a 100w but I did a lot of experimenting BEFORE I got my chameleon. I definitely agree as it's always a bad call to experiment w anything while your chameleon is in the enclosure. Good call 😊😊
I use a 100w bulb, BUT I have my herpstat to keep it at the correct temps. It rarely is using all 100watts. If you're using a 100w bulb I suggest pairing it with a thermostat of sorts.

Yup! I expressed my skin concerns but also said I think he should just have a full check up
They should prescribe silver sulfadiazine cream to apply to the thermal burns if they don't give you something you need to ask. You want these to heal so they do not lead to infection.

I would suggest you fill out a husbandry form with detail along with pics of the entire cage and UVB so we can help with anything that might be incorrect from the prior keeper.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom