pale chameleon

julies liam

hi...i put my 6 month old chameleon to bed at 9 at night but i just checked on him and he is a really pale colour so i have put his heat lamp back on will i have to buy a ceramic heat bulb? he seems ok with in himself i got him 2 days ago he has eaten and drinking lots and climbing everywhere but hasnt been to the toilet yet? abit worried :(

ok brilliant i was worrying, just worried about the toilet situation now hopefuly he will go tomorrow coz he ate 2 mill worms today and 3 locust

What species of chameleon do you have?
I have a 6m old Jackson and she consistently lightens to a tan color when she sleeps.
I have read that this is completely normal. Get a digital themometor with a probe and hang it within 5 inches of where your cham sleeps. If the temps stay above 55 you are golden. Make sure you find a way to get the temperature to drop before you truurn the lights out. Pawn shops have affordable small room size ac units that work great for this.

i have a panther he is 6 months old i got him 2 days ago he has slept in a diffrent space every night..yeh he is a baige colour but during the day he is red, blues, greens that wat worried me coz he was so pale wen during the day he is so bright coloured x

What species of chameleon do you have?
I have a 6m old Jackson and she consistently lightens to a tan color when she sleeps.
I have read that this is completely normal. Get a digital themometor with a probe and hang it within 5 inches of where your cham sleeps. If the temps stay above 55 you are golden. Make sure you find a way to get the temperature to drop before you truurn the lights out. Pawn shops have affordable small room size ac units that work great for this.

I've never heard of someone using a specially placed a/c unit before. IMO, just normal "lights of" causes about a 10 degree drop or more which is just fine.

ok brilliant i was worrying, just worried about the toilet situation now hopefuly he will go tomorrow coz he ate 2 mill worms today and 3 locust

Assuming the toilett situation is a lack there of, make sure there is a basking spot is as close as you can get to the ideal maximum temperature. 87℉ seems to be the most common and is preferred by my jacksonii.
Heat helps aid with their digestion, which in their natural habitat is absorbed from the sun. And incandescent light bulb at a 45° angle is ideal.
If you can get some horn or wax worms you should do so. The high fat content is a sort of natural laxative.
I wish you and your cham the best

he has a basking light with is set at 36'c controlled by thermostat but the buld shines right down should i angle it abit? they r only allowed wax worm as a treat arent they?

My cham and I live in an attic at the base of the rocky mountains. The ambient temperature of this space is about 95 without the AC. In the evening in naturally cools and the temp drops perfectly from 70-86 to 62-70, I don't turn it off till I got to bed a few hours later.
The AC may or may not be beneficial to you depending on your specefic climate. What works for me may not be needed for you. I try to consider these type of things before I make or take advice.

very nice would love to live there instead i have to live in england lol...i turnt his heat lamp back on but i will turn it of wen i go to bed soon

Does your cham stay awake and alert during the day? If you find em sleeping in the shade during the day then contact a vet.

The angle is not always needed but levels of different temperatures in the enclosure are. They need both warm and cool areas. Placing the light at an angle and focused on a small spot or corner can help keep the temps down and provide a gradient of warm and cool areas. Misting and plants are a big part of this as well

What are the dimensions of your enclosure?
I keep mine on top now as I have a few computer fans to vent the heat. But in the past I had problems with temperatures that were too high and changed quickly. The dryness of the air and the breathability of the screen cage made it hard to keep the temps consistent.

You should not, however, have this problem within an all plastic enclosure.

no he is awake all day climbing about but sfter he has eaten he might just stay sit for abit but he is soon up and about again. my viv is wooden its 23" x 19" x 36" loads of diffrent levels angled with bamboo sticks and leaves ect. his basking light is pointin straight down 8" inchs below light i have a 75 wat heat bulb with a 6% uvb light

It's common for them to change to lighter colors when sleeping. Search for "pajamas" on the forum to see pics of people's sleeping chams. :)

Edit: I didn't mean to use the thumbs down icon. Stupid phone!

Back
Top Bottom