Pair of Furcifer campani

frankpayne32

Avid Member
I feel lucky to have gotten a pair of Furcifer campani this year. So far they have acclimated well but it is still too soon to tell. They do eat and drink very well. Their favorite food is hydei fruit flies. They are very active making full use of cages that are about the same volume as 2'x2'x4'. I was pretty sure the female was gravid upon arrival and after introducing her to the male last night I'd say it's pretty definite. I hope she is able to lay without issue. I especially hope that the few of us working with them in the US are able to successfully incubate eggs and get some CB campani out there. Now for some pictures!

They are looking great Frank!

She doesn't look too impressed with him showing off his awesome colors lol. Hopefully you will have some eggs from her shortly.

Frank you will love working with campani. As you said, the few of us who are working with this species, hopefully can have successful incubation, and raise the babies accordingly!

Your campani are lovely. A campani is the only Cham I have ever just seen a picture of and said I would buy if I ever had a chance. I did have a female for a short time, but sent her to a friend with a male. Now we are waiting to see if the eggs hatch.:):):) it had been 9 months.

They are looking great Frank!

She doesn't look too impressed with him showing off his awesome colors lol. Hopefully you will have some eggs from her shortly.

Thanks Nick! I hope so too.

Frank you will love working with campani. As you said, the few of us who are working with this species, hopefully can have successful incubation, and raise the babies accordingly!

Absolutely. They are perfectly sized and colored chams IMO. It would be great if there were a bunch of hardy CBB campani running around in the next year or two.

They're beautiful and they look great, thank you for sharing! We don't see enough of these guys.

Thanks!

Frank, mind sharing a bit about your set up, husbandry, etc.....Thanks!

Sure, although I've only kept them a short time so I'm far from an expert. Here is a link to my caging system in which they are currently kept.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/custom-eight-cage-system-126118/

The ambient temp in my lizard room is kept around 75 F on most days. I have halogen lights to provide basking spots of around 85-90 F. Right now my reptile room drops to around 65 F at night.They are in fully planted enclosures with natural substrate. Three sides solid, front and top screen. Right now I'm using Zoo Med 10.0 T8 bulbs but will eventually switch to Arcadia 6.0. They are on an automatic MistKing system which runs for two minutes four times a day. They have eaten dubia nymphs but really seem to prefer zapping up lots of hydei fruit flies. I don't keep or feed crickets because I have unfortunately developed a strong allergy to them having worked with them for so long... Hope that helps. I really don't know much about their husbandry but have done lots of research.

Kind of off topic, but where can you buy that white ribbed plastic board your using on the sides of your enclosure?

It's called Coroplast. It can be purchased online but I got mine from a local sign company for $20 a 4'x8' piece. It's awesome stuff for building cages!

Your campani are lovely. A campani is the only Cham I have ever just seen a picture of and said I would buy if I ever had a chance. I did have a female for a short time, but sent her to a friend with a male. Now we are waiting to see if the eggs hatch.:):):) it had been 9 months.

I've talked to that friend. ;) They are an absolute favorite of mine. I'm pumped that they are the first species from Madagascar to be given another shot in captivity.

Any sign company. It is called Chloroplast. It is great to use as a divider in cages.

Absolutely! I love the stuff.

Successful breeding!

Yesterday was a very exciting day for me. This WC pair of campani successfully mated! I had assumed that the female was gravid already due to her beautiful colors and not being receptive towards the male. It seems she just was not receptive at that time. Also, it turns out her colors weren't really gravid colors as they are SO much brighter now!

I couldn't believe how fast the mating occurred. After placing the female in the male's enclosure he immediately turned black and started nodding his head vigorously. She puffed up at first but as soon as he approached she deflated and assumed mild colors. It took him less than a minute after seeing her to begin copulation! I thought panthers were aggressive breeders... They remained in copulation for seven and a half minutes. Afterwards the male resumed his normal brown coloration and walked away to bask. The female showed no signs of aggression towards the male but she was VERY brightly colored. I returned her to her cage.

I am going to try introducing a different female to the male this weekend so hopefully I'll have more good news soon. Now on to the pictures!

Video of the beginning of the mating.
http://s572.photobucket.com/user/frankpayne32/media/IMG_3184_zps54e7b63f.mp4.html

Copulation

The female's colors after mating (completely non-edited taken with an iPhone)

Aw Frank!! I have to start saving money. If I can get a pair of campani, I am going for it. I still remember and love the little girl I gave away. My quads will understand when I bring in campani to join their world, they like Mommy happy.:D

Aw Frank!! I have to start saving money. If I can get a pair of campani, I am going for it. I still remember and love the little girl I gave away. My quads will understand when I bring in campani to join their world, they like Mommy happy.:D

The campani are definitely awesome. I really think that hardy CB campani could fill a niche as the true chameleon for vivariums.

Ever since my fiance saw Kevin's male quad she want's me to get into them too! They are her new favorite chameleon. I still remember the female I raised from a hatchling back in the nineties fondly. She was a really sweet, easy going chameleon.

Kind of off topic, but where can you buy that white ribbed plastic board your using on the sides of your enclosure?

I use the same stuff. Mine is really cheap, I let every one of the lovely people campaining put a sign in my yard. I take it down that night and have chloroplast. And it allows me to make my private statements on our political process.:D

Back
Top Bottom