Painted ladies

I saw quite a few butterflies making their way up north this weekend. So heads up to my friends above southern California. Was'nt enough to crack out the net, but hopefully by this weekend I'll see greater numbers coming up from Mexico.

I saw quite a few butterflies making their way up north this weekend. So heads up to my friends above southern California. Was'nt enough to crack out the net, but hopefully by this weekend I'll see greater numbers coming up from Mexico.

ive been saying a ton of the white ones a few painted ladies

saw a single lone monarch i believe it looked pretty big and resembled like a painted lady, beautifully fluttering about oustide my school at the the park besides it. as a little kid i would catch butterflies and let them go, dont know why but it was fun.

Check. Seen a few for the past week here, but nothing that great. About two-three years ago their migration made the local paper. I probably saw about ten-fifteen a minute up and down my street for about two days in a row. California condors made their pass here last week.

I remember one year they migrated in the thousands. Maybe millions in the Coachella valley. You could literally stick your hands up and catch them there were so many.

Thanks for the heads up Steve. I had to look up "my old thread" on the matter to see when it was in March that I noticed the ladies coming up. Looks like they're a tad early this year.

Planted out the whole backyard fence line with lantana bushes 2 years ago.

They are now in full bloom and yesterday saw at least 15 - 20 of them jossling with hummingbirds over the flowers. (need to out more Hummmingbird feeders out...obviously 5 are not enough!)

Leaving them alone but catching many mantis lurrking in them and around the place.

Planted out the whole backyard fence line with lantana bushes 2 years ago.

They are now in full bloom and yesterday saw at least 15 - 20 of them jossling with hummingbirds over the flowers. (need to out more Hummmingbird feeders out...obviously 5 are not enough!)

Leaving them alone but catching many mantis lurrking in them and around the place.
Nice. You'll have lots of skippers hanging around the Lantana to, a little later on in the year. Once night time temps warm up.

Was able to catch a few. I was seeing about 20 per minute Friday afternoon. Most where high flyers, but a few low riders found my net.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom