Overweight Cham? Plz help!!

This is the best sand I've found...
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/king-play-sand-20-kg/1000109167

If you have something to use as substrate (6 to 8" deep) now that will hold a tunnel/hole I would set it up right now...add a couple of low branches so she has a place to sit but not so tall that she can climb out and put her in there now. I would lay a long linear light across the top of the bin to give her light and pray she starts digging. If she does do t let her see you watching her and let her be.

If is doesn't work then she needs to see a vet asap/,yesterday".

Any word on the chameleon today?
I’m beginning to think it’s a male... signs are pointing to it. He/she made the night and has been in the laying bin all day with no results. I put them back because they were very stressed in the bin. Once back in the cage he/she ate crickets, drank a little, and otherwise seems okay. Like I said I’m going to be gone for a few days, but when I get back I’m going to take her to someone who can confirm in person the gender. Im going to take he/she to the vet as soon as I can for an overall health check as well

Male vs. Female veiled chameleons are pretty easy to tell apart by looking at their back feet. (Please keep in mind I am also a beginner cham. keeper). By looking at some of the pics you've posted, I agree that your little dragon is likely a female.

I've recently been in a similar situation to you. I took in two Chameleons in a similar situation. I was able to do some beforehand research but they were kind of pushed on me before I could do much. They were supposedly male but I was able to take one look at them and determine both were females. One was already showing symptoms of being in follicular stasis (developing eggs but kind of 'stuck' in the process) and the other was already developing eggs and refused to lay them.

I have threads on both chams if you wanted to check out their stories but the first chameleon didn't make it. Unfortunately she was already in pretty rough shape when I got her but watching her go was rough. The other is now 2 weeks past actually having to have surgery and is doing well as I am fortunate enough to be in an area with excellent exotic animal vets. (I'm also older than 15 and am able to make those decisions for myself so that helps too. Being young with a sick pet sucks.)

This reply is already too long but my best advice would be to LISTEN to these guys on this thread. Many of them know what they're doing, have been through similar situations, and want what's best for your chameleon. Members of this site helped with the grief of losing my first one and the stresses and all questions I've had during recovery of the other. This site is the host of a great community of some truly wonderful people with valuable experience for new keepers like myself and now you as well.

Good luck to you and your little lizard.

Back
Top Bottom