Overly Runny Urates

Canopy Chameleons

Established Member
I had a girl drop off a female veiled for me earlier this week. First poop since she's been here, and wow. Never seen such messy urates.

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - 65 gallon Reptarium
* Lighting - 12hrs on, 12 hours off. 75W Incandescent, Repti-Glo 10.0
* Temperature - Basking- ~90-95, Ambient 80-85 (depending on the spot), night temps low 70's.
* Humidity - 50-80% range, use a dripper for about 8 hours a day. Spray the cage LOTS 2-4 times a day.
* Plants - No live at the moment.
* Location - In my reptile room, low traffic.

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - Female Veiled ~2 1/2 yrs.
* Feeding - Since she's been here, I've only fed her Silkies and Hornworms.
* Supplements - Rep-Cal w/D3 3x a week. Rep-Cal MultiVit 1x week.
* Watering - I use a dripper, she doesn't drink from it really, but she drinks when I soak the cage
* Fecal Description - Firm normal brown fecal matter, with yellowish plug and very white and runny urates.
* History - I haven't a clue. I know that this week in my care is the first time she's been exposed to UV lighting, and first time she's eaten anything other than crickets. She was in a 20 gallon aquarium, with 100W Incandescent bulb, and two plants. She said that she never misted her. She didn't think she needed it. I'm amazed this Veiled is doing as well as she is.
* Current Problem - Urates!

Thanks in advance for any help guys.

-Jaz

I don't think this has anything to do with the urates....but did she survive this long without developing MBD?

Amazingly enough, I don't believe she has it at all. Calcium deficiency, yes. MBD, not enough to tell. She'll be going into the vet sooner than later, but as far as I can tell, by bone structure, strength, everything... it looks good. Fingers crossed that I'm right! When I get some batteries for my camera, I'll take some pictures of her. Despite the crap she endured, she's in pretty good shape.

-Jaz

hardy species

Amazingly enough, I don't believe she has it at all. Calcium deficiency, yes. MBD, not enough to tell. She'll be going into the vet sooner than later, but as far as I can tell, by bone structure, strength, everything... it looks good. Fingers crossed that I'm right! When I get some batteries for my camera, I'll take some pictures of her. Despite the crap she endured, she's in pretty good shape.

-Jaz

Veileds are surprisingly hardy and strong survivors. A bit of TLC and the right environment should allow her to thrive. Good luck with her, sounds like you may have got her before the worst set in.

My cham s will experience the same urates when switched to silkies. Have you tried going back to crix for a few days???

I have a cricket free house, unless there are babies that I need to feed. I am trying to get her to eat some supers though, and see how that goes, but she does not want anything to do with a feeding cup. ...They are so hard to train into that when they're older I'm finding.

Veileds are surprisingly hardy and strong survivors. A bit of TLC and the right environment should allow her to thrive. Good luck with her, sounds like you may have got her before the worst set in.

Thanks, that's what I'm hoping too. It looks like I did get her in great timing. Especially since females can be short lived, I wanted this little girl to come to a decent home, cause I feared the worst. My plan was to give her a great home until she passed, but when I saw her, I knew that there was no way that she was kickin the bucket for another couple years. Let's hope for the best with this one.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I was kind of thinking that it was the silkies, we'll see now that I'm out of them!

-Jaz

Back
Top Bottom