Over supplementation treatment

The3rdMan

From the excess calcium I found coming out my cham's nostrils this morning I am going to assume I am over-supplementing. Any other treatments I should follow for over-supplementation beside raising the humidity levels and feeding high water food like silkworms for a few days? (and obviously cutting down the supplements).
Basically from reading the threads I understand that I should have been dusting a few crix lightly instead of all rather heavily. He seems fine behaviorally but he does have some dark spotting on his tail as you can see from pics. Is this something to be concerned with?
Any advice strictly confined to treatments for over-supplementation and my other questions would be appreciated.

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - Reptarium for adolescent
* Lighting - repti-sun 5.0 and uvb 40 watts
* Temperature - measure temp with temp gun - basking area - around 95 degrees - lowest night time temp 75
* Humidity - humidity is around 50% using humidity gauge.
* Plants - Jasmine tree and pothos
* Location - corner of bedroom for now. raised three feet off ground.

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - 4 month old male ambilobe. Had for a month.
* Handling - very rarely. second time handling was to take pics.
* Feeding - gut loaded (collared greens) crix and baby dubia (rarely) dusted every other day with calcium and once a month with herptivite and once a month with calcium w/ d3.
* Watering - have a dripper on for between 4 and 6 hours a day. See him drinking. Also mist occassionally.
* Fecal Description - Dark brown to black. pretty solid
* Current Problem - Over supplementation

[img=http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/1015/img2415hx6.th.jpg]

Last edited:
I would bump up the calcium with D3 and definitely lower your calcium.

For a four month old I do:
- Cal w/o D3 twice a week
- Cal w/ D3 three times a month
- Herptivite once a month
- Mineral O once a month

There is no exact science to them, every chameleon is different. I have noticed some get edema quicker than others which shows sensitivity to some vitamins. Find the right balance but at that age he does need more cal w/ D3

-chris

Thanks Chris,

So if he doesn't show any symptoms besides the calcium out of the nostrils over the next few days I shouldn't worry about any long-term damage w/ this kind of over-supplementation?

I would bump up the calcium with D3 and definitely lower your calcium.

For a four month old I do:
- Cal w/o D3 twice a week
- Cal w/ D3 three times a month
- Herptivite once a month
- Mineral O once a month

There is no exact science to them, every chameleon is different. I have noticed some get edema quicker than others which shows sensitivity to some vitamins. Find the right balance but at that age he does need more cal w/ D3

-chris

I wouldnt worry. Give him lots of water and decrease from heavily dusting every cricket to just lightly dusting most crickets. I'd go with D3 twice a month and vits twice a month.

Not related to your question, but I think You should probably reduce the heat a little too, given the young chameleons age. Little ones overheat and dehydrate more easily than adults.

Back
Top Bottom