Outside Time

AmandaS

Retired Moderator
How do you take your cham outside? Do you always have an enclosure? Do you let them roam on trees? Tell me all your advice and tips and tricks. I have NEVER taken my cham outside yet and the thought makes me nervous....but all animals should be allowed outside!

Attachments

• 0322190714.jpg
    0322190714.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 57
So you want to make sure that the weather is appropriate and keep in mind that it gets hot fast. Even at 60 degrees in full sun it is going to be much hotter. I have a small digital thermometer that I go by. Misting the cage down so he does not get too hot. Adding part shade and sun so they have the option to move out of the sun is helpful as well. Most do outdoor cages. Some will take outside with them. The only danger with that is that you have to be very mindful of any large birds that may think he is something to eat. Since you have a veiled just be cautious with any plants you put him on or he may try to eat them. I would not put him in a tree that you can not get him out of. And never leave unattended if you are not using a cage. If you are using a cage I would make sure to keep checking in every 10 minutes just to ensure temp is ok.

Thank you. That is exactly the advice I was looking for. I'm going to have to invest in an outdoor cage. I have been meaning to get one for my birds anyway.

Thank you. That is exactly the advice I was looking for. I'm going to have to invest in an outdoor cage. I have been meaning to get one for my birds anyway.
Your welcome. If you live where you get alot of moisture you may want to invest in a dragon strand cage. They are very well made and do not rust.
You can also build a planter box to fit the bottom so that you can put your plants in the cage as a permanent fixture. Here are some good links.
https://dragonstrand.com/product/large-keeper-screen-chameleon-cage-kit/
https://dragonstrand.com/natural-feeders-dragon-strand-large-keeper-chameleon-screen-cage/

I have an old dog kennel that is massive, I was thinking about throwing some chicken wire around it and using it for my birds, but I sure it will also work nicely for a chameleon.

my cham is still pretty small. about 5 inches from head to base of tail, so not including tail. so as of yet, i dont need a new cage. but i hear they get fairly large.

What I’m planning on doing is using my old cages as outdoor cages since I need bigger cages
That is what I did as well. But he does not like being in it so he basks on me while we sit outside and I constantly scan the skies looking for birds. We had a very interested large blue jay the other day I had to scare off. But we have large crows, hawks, and seagulls constantly so I have to be very careful with him being out on me. Fortunately our yard is smaller and secured with a building on two sides and a large privacy fence on the other two so I just have to watch above us and try not to go blind with the sun in my eyes lol.

I have an old dog kennel that is massive, I was thinking about throwing some chicken wire around it and using it for my birds, but I sure it will also work nicely for a chameleon.
I would designate it for either for the birds or the Cham... The cham will need different sticks and plants then the birds. Also I am not certain what risk there is with having them use the same enclosure.

I figure, if I take my cham out on me, I will also have my cat and dog out. they do a swell job of scaring the birds away. still, i will keep an eye out.

my cham is still pretty small. about 5 inches from head to base of tail, so not including tail. so as of yet, i dont need a new cage. but i hear they get fairly large.
Yes they do. I have a male witch is why I need a cage and since you have a female you will need a laying bin sooner then later witch is why a bigger cage will also help

Yes, they can. If you want us to do a check of your husbandry to make sure you were not miss informed about their care then post a new thread with the information on this form pasted in to the new thread. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help.66/

Yes, I have been told that. but they run around her in the house, so it isnt going to be much of a change for her. She cant escape the presence of my other pets. lol. but i would NEVER let them be close to the chameleon. I have too much love and money and energy put into her. haha

Yes they do. I have a male witch is why I need a cage and since you have a female you will need a laying bin sooner then later witch is why a bigger cage will also help
That sounds like a marriage wedding plan for ur male n AmandaS female..and the best part is both of you are not that far apart...the Cali way of love .

Back
Top Bottom