Outside in summer

Ramrod

Chameleon Enthusiast
I have a question about outside exposure in summertime. Living inland in So. CAL. the summers can get pretty warm 90-100 and UVb index can reach 10-11 at times. Shade is provided as well as water but wondering if uvb needs to be monitored and adjusted during these times?šŸ˜Ž

I have a question about outside exposure in summertime. Living inland in So. CAL. the summers can get pretty warm 90-100 and UVb index can reach 10-11 at times. Shade is provided as well as water but wondering if uvb needs to be monitored and adjusted during these times?šŸ˜Ž
A soil bottom that stays damp, coupled with lots of shade, and branches to access these lower areas can go a long way.

during the summer when UV levels are high I place my chames on the east side of my house so they are only exposed to morning sun . that side of my house will be in complete shade around 1 o clock when uv levels are really high . so placement is key depending the time of year . right now all my cages are the north side of my building where the sun hits all day long . uvi levels in my area are pretty low right now as well as temps so they can be in full sun no problem .

during the summer when UV levels are high I place my chames on the east side of my house so they are only exposed to morning sun . that side of my house will be in complete shade around 1 o clock when uv levels are really high . so placement is key depending the time of year . right now all my cages are the north side of my building where the sun hits all day long . uvi levels in my area are pretty low right now as well as temps so they can be in full sun no problem .
Just created this outside inclosure ( Florida). Do you think it should be fine for Florida summers? Considering correct placement of it.
I also saw how my cham actually tried to hunt down another lizard that was outside the cage but close by. He almost tried to shoot his tongue out lol sooo I guess my main question how safe it is for him to ā€œeatā€ or whatever he was planning on doing with it? Thank you

Attachments

• 99F769DA-7304-4337-A007-E234A7C8CB1B.jpeg
    99F769DA-7304-4337-A007-E234A7C8CB1B.jpeg
    256.6 KB · Views: 69
Just created this outside inclosure ( Florida). Do you think it should be fine for Florida summers? Considering correct placement of it.
I also saw how my cham actually tried to hunt down another lizard that was outside the cage but close by. He almost tried to shoot his tongue out lol sooo I guess my main question how safe it is for him to ā€œeatā€ or whatever he was planning on doing with it? Thank you
Your cham will eat the little anoles if he can, but he could very well get parasites from doing so. A couple of concerns Iā€™d have for keeping your chameleon full time in that enclosure...is it sitting directly in the sun or is there a tree to provide some hours of shade? That looks like regular screening which any wild animal like a raccoon, opossum or bird could easily break in and get an easy meal. If you plan on just having your cham outside in that enclosure for an hour or two and youā€™ll be there monitoring, it should be fine.

Your cham will eat the little anoles if he can, but he could very well get parasites from doing so. A couple of concerns Iā€™d have for keeping your chameleon full time in that enclosure...is it sitting directly in the sun or is there a tree to provide some hours of shade? That looks like regular screening which any wild animal like a raccoon, opossum or bird could easily break in and get an easy meal. If you plan on just having your cham outside in that enclosure for an hour or two and youā€™ll be there monitoring, it should be fine.
Yes, there is a tree to provide a shade. I was planning to have him outside since we have weather for it but now I will definitely reconsider. Thank you

22B0E4D2-7F99-4034-90D3-EA1676A5E01C.jpeg

My guys are outside all year round for the most part. I have white pvc, and light aluminum screen to help with the heat. They are also in a screened pool enclosure so that keeps some of the heat and uvb down as well. I have their mist king going off about every 3-4 hrs depending on the heat. They get about 2-3 hrs of direct sunlight in the am and shade the rest of the day.
Since you have black mesh I would make sure you put some shade over the top of that. Being in Florida that will get hot very quickly.
D5EB7180-0631-45F4-A3A0-FB887AD11E1C.jpeg
E152C1A8-9240-4218-B887-A57071C42BF3.jpeg
DF5E7041-9DA2-437A-B1B7-068CAD47F096.jpeg

View attachment 302545
My guys are outside all year round for the most part. I have white pvc, and light aluminum screen to help with the heat. They are also in a screened pool enclosure so that keeps some of the heat and uvb down as well. I have their mist king going off about every 3-4 hrs depending on the heat. They get about 2-3 hrs of direct sunlight in the am and shade the rest of the day.
Since you have black mesh I would make sure you put some shade over the top of that. Being in Florida that will get hot very quickly. View attachment 302546View attachment 302547View attachment 302548
Omg! That is such a great help!I will look into that! Thank you so much!
What about other lizards going into the inclosure and Cham hunting them or have you ever heard of snakes trying to get into? I saw mine almost ate a lizard but I stopped him before he shoot his tongue šŸ˜…

Omg! That is such a great help!I will look into that! Thank you so much!
What about other lizards going into the inclosure and Cham hunting them or have you ever heard of snakes trying to get into? I saw mine almost ate a lizard but I stopped him before he shoot his tongue šŸ˜…
I forgot to add I have white pvc board on top for shade as well. You canā€™t see it in the pics bc I took them off to take the pics.
They will try to eat the lizards, I try to get them out when I see them. I did have a decent size black racer get into one of the cages. Thankfully I was out there and got it out. Gotta try and fill in any gaps so they canā€™t get in.

Back
Top Bottom