Outside 24 hours, or just during the day? Worried about wildlife.

chambabysitter1

I've already asked a couple experienced members, but I'd love to get some general opinions from the circus.

I have a F. Pardalis, about 7 months old, a little over 6 inches stv.

This is his outdoor cage:
P1017008.jpg

It is located in Long Beach, CA. Well covered by grape vines to provide shade along with what is inside the cage.

We do have a few rats that run on the powerlines behind our house, some rogue raccoons, and some possums living by the street behind our house.

I want to keep him outdoors not just during the day, like I do currently, but also at night. Pretty much 24/7 as long as weather permits. He seems to really love his outdoor cage, and if it is more beneficial for him to be in there, while experiencing less stress moving him twice a day, I would like that option.

I am worried about animals though.
Anyone in my area have experience with the wildlife breaking in cages?
Anyone outside my area?
Does my cage look susceptible?
Is there as much risk as I think?

Thank you for the opinions everyone.

If you have a possibility of rats and raccoons breaking in.. then, I would not risk it.
I would just take him outside at day whenever I am around to monitor..

Same situation here.. no rats... just cats.. neighbor cats:mad:..
I shoo one away couple of week ago attacking my veiled outdoor cage.

My veiled put on his nasty attitude after that for several weeks refusing to get out from his indoor cage.
understandably so..

How bout building some type of barrier that limit access around the cage?

Personally, I wouldn't do it. I like having my babies around me so I can keep an eye on them and I read so many bad things, on here, that happen to them outside by their self. Jann

It can be done... Just be cautious of predators(keep the cage secure), and extreme temps. I know their are people in your area that do it.

If you are really worried that much about wildlife you could find ways to make it critter proof. You could line the cage in metal wire mesh by screwing it in on the frame. Any material that would not allow predators to claw through.

Edit again: Looking at your pic... I would weight down the base crates, and secure the cage to that. I don't think any predators in your nieghborhood will be able to bother you cham through the mesh you are using. Just make sure they can't knock the cage over.

Last edited:
Chams love outside time. The only problem I've had is an alagator lizard got into one of my less secure cages I built. Yove seen where I live, I get coyotes, raccons, possoms, hawks, snakes ect. I guess my dog does provide a good amount of detirrent and protection, she has gone after some stuff out there. Just make sure the cage is secure and there is shade.

I keep some of my chams outside day and night. My back yard is fenced, so that keeps it alittle more secure. I don't have any cats around, so I am not worried about that threat. Possums are around, but I havnt seen any racoons in my area of the neighborhood for awhile. Up until the past few days (100 degree temps), I have had some of my animals out day and night for the past week and a half. I drop outside to spray with the hose, and feed if needed. Some storms rolled in over night and I left them out. They love the rain, and when I leave them out for prolonged periods of time, they turn very wild like, and they honestly seem to get upset when I take them back inside to rotate other adults out.

i would definately worry about wildlife and its not just wild life, ticks and ants can also be a problem , i have heard of people surrounding the structure with vaseline or fly paper

Depending on finances and general access from the public ( i.e. noisy neighborhood kids) for $300 you can get a portable electric fence. This stands about two feet tall or so and can put out a pretty good zap for anything touching it. It should prevent rats from a ground attack. You could move you cage away from the fence at night to prevent an aerial attack.

For less money (maybe) you could put up a simple hot wire that could run along the fence and if properly set up, could deter aerial attacks. From aerial, I mean something coming off the fence or through the grape vines.

Another idea, would be to make another cage and have it on your patio or closer to your house. This may or may not deter wildlife from approaching.

-just different ideas. :rolleyes:

Chris,

You can get one of those screen tents, and place the cage in the screen tent.

Second thought... sleep in the screen tent with the cage, who doesn't like backyard camping???:confused:

It was one of my favorite hobbies as a kid!:) Ranked right up there with eatting paste!:D

-Jay

Back
Top Bottom