Outdoor Veield Cage???

LuckyFitto

Hey,

im thinking about putting up an outdoor cage for my veiled chameleon. Im gunna build it out of wood and then the screen. you know what theose look like. I live in Chicago and was gunna have it outside during the summer. Are there restrictions on the temperatures i can have my chameleon outside for? Does it matter? And is having an outdoor cage a good idea period? Any help is great.

I am working on the same idea here in Denver.
I think as long as you provide lots of opportunity for shade and the enclosure is in a somewhat protected area it should be fine.
It will be interesting to get some other feedback on this.
The benefits of having my veiled out in the real sunlight during warmer months are very attractive to me.

-Brad

i am also doing this during hte wisconsin summer months here. im gonna make it a bit smaller that the one i made for indoor. if you make it out of wood, stain it and use a poly or varnish that resists uv rays. also depending on if you have them or not get the same screen thats on ur windows to keep out mosquitos, which is wat i worry about here. it does resist some uv but i'd rather that then a dead cham.

i am also doing this during hte wisconsin summer months here. im gonna make it a bit smaller that the one i made for indoor. if you make it out of wood, stain it and use a poly or varnish that resists uv rays. also depending on if you have them or not get the same screen thats on ur windows to keep out mosquitos, which is wat i worry about here. it does resist some uv but i'd rather that then a dead cham.
Are you saying a mosquito will kill a chameleon, I can't see that?

Outdoors...

My panthers reside outdoors year round here in South Florida, and I have kept veiled the same way as well. the temps rarely drop below 70. I only bring them indoors when temps are forecasted to drop below 60. When daytime temps are only 60-70 I add a low wattage heat lamp on one side of the cage so they can thermoregulate and keep thier metabolism going. When temps are 80-100 they just need some thick foliage so they can cool off when they want to. There is no comparison to the benefits of natural sunlight. Chams seem to instantly perk up and enjoy life when outdoors. Another benefit is you can water them heavily without worrying about runoff/drainage. I'm sure your chams in Chicago and Denver would have a grand time in the summer months outside.

well it could get him sick. or if he were to eat one that had a disease, but i suppose if i bring him in before dusk he would be ok.

Hmmm

What about pesticide covered insects flying over from the neighbours 4 doors down? Shouldn't I be worrying about what hes catching to eat? I live in Guelph and this year we might finally get pesticides banned, but it hasn't happened yet. Also I'm wondering about the mosquito thing, who has to eat who for things to go wrong?
Mel

I plan to be very careful in constructing an enclosure that is (as much as possible) insect proof.
That may be a bit of an impossible task, but I prefer to be in control and am going to strive to keep any outside insects from entering.
It may end up that I use a manufacture screen enclosure, which would have the best chance of achieving this.

-Brad

well all you would have to do is use window screen. its the finest mesh and would prevent most insects from entering. like i said it does limit some uv from entering but i still rather that than what could possibly happen. also in case of other animals i would make it pretty stabel in case a coon or sumtin came up. or just keep it inside at nite.

Back
Top Bottom