Outdoor PVC enclosure build

RyanBRZ

Avid Member
Here are some pics of the outdoor PVC enclosure I am working on. Furnishings and mesh are work in progress.

60" tall x 48" wide x 27" deep
3/4" PVC pipe

Day 1 - Outside frame
IMG_20200625_211845.jpg IMG_20200625_211832.jpg

Day 2 - The remainder of the frame
IMG_20200626_192222.jpg IMG_20200626_192244.jpg

Day 3 - Doors
IMG_20200628_170201.jpg IMG_20200628_170043.jpg

Day 4 - A happy chameleon
IMG_20200629_191356.jpg

I have no idea why 2 of them are there to be honest, only 1 is in use. Maybe the empty ones are needed to stabilize/eliminate pressure in the house when the heat or AC is on? This floor was renovated after flooding from hurricane sandy, you'd think they would have closed up the holes if they weren't needed.

Thanks!

I bought 4 T fittings, slightly over-sized (1" to fit over 3/4" PVC) to work as hinges. I had to cut off one arm of the T on each to reduce the gap to the frame, and then dremel out some material to make it large enough to slide over the elbow fitting.

There is a slight door-to-frame gap on the top and bottom. I am going to install a 2-3" tall piece of plastic/aluminum board to both cover this gap, and to prevent the doors from swinging inside of the cage. If I can find something strong enough, I'd like the doors to actually hook onto something, so they are not just hanging from the hinges.

IMG_20200628_151620.jpg IMG_20200628_154548.jpg IMG_20200630_103012.jpg

Thanks!

I bought 4 T fittings, slightly over-sized (1" to fit over 3/4" PVC) to work as hinges. I had to cut off one arm of the T on each to reduce the gap to the frame, and then dremel out some material to make it large enough to slide over the elbow fitting.

There is a slight door-to-frame gap on the top and bottom. I am going to install a 2-3" tall piece of plastic/aluminum board to both cover this gap, and to prevent the doors from swinging inside of the cage. If I can find something strong enough, I'd like the doors to actually hook onto something, so they are not just hanging from the hinges.

View attachment 270892 View attachment 270893 View attachment 270894
Very creative way to do it! I like it. Have you thought about just hooking a slide lock to it on the top of the doors and the bottom as well. This would apply pressure to both sides. Or if you added in a vertical piece on the frame where the doors meet in the middle. You could do small hooks from it to each door. might have to shorten your door width just slightly though.

This is what I did in mine and it helped with the doors. With wood but same idea.

I am on the fence with how to handle locking the doors, I want to avoid cutting anything, if possible. I am thinking of maybe installing hooks from the top, one for each door, that I can hook/rest the doors onto when closed, and then use a slide-lock on the doors, locking them to each other, as an extra level of security.

Also need to decide if I am going to cement any of these parts, right now it's just pieced together. Thought about cementing only the front and rear panels, this way I can take the cage apart and store it over the winter.

I am on the fence with how to handle locking the doors, I want to avoid cutting anything, if possible. I am thinking of maybe installing hooks from the top, one for each door, that I can hook/rest the doors onto when closed, and then use a slide-lock on the doors, locking them to each other, as an extra level of security.

Also need to decide if I am going to cement any of these parts, right now it's just pieced together. Thought about cementing only the front and rear panels, this way I can take the cage apart and store it over the winter.
Yeah I have only worked with PVC in a very limited capacity. But I would think if you do cement anything then just do panels so that you can take a part each piece for storage.

You are doing a great job. It is one of the best PVC enclosures I have seen. Great example for others to follow.

Last edited:
Yeah I have only worked with PVC in a very limited capacity. But I would thing if you do cement anything then just do panels so that you can take a part each piece for storage.

You are doing a great job. It is one of the best PVC enclosures I have seen. Great example for others to follow.
Thanks! It was/is a fun project. I will post my full parts list, cost, and helpful hints when I have some time.

Here's the parts list, it totaled around $55-$60 from Home Depot

PartSizeCount
3-way corner fitting 3/4"8
T fitting3/4" x 3/4" x 3/4"18
T fitting 1" x 1" x 3/4"4
Elbow fitting 3/4"4
PVC Pipe 3/4" x 10'10

I started by building the cage in MS Paint (don't hate) and then I marked the PVC pipes where I planned to cut based on my sketch. To cut the PVC I used a miter box hand saw, they also sell cutter tools but I have no experience with them.

Keep in mind that the fittings add length/height to the PVC so your cage will end up being a few inches bigger than the dimensions of the pipes. The back of the cage has an extra set of fittings where the front does not (4 vs 3), causing the back to be slightly taller and uneven. You will need to improvise here by cutting away some PVC pipe from the back, while also taking into consideration that the distance between each of the side and back supporting bars needs to remain consistent or it will be uneven/crooked looking. I don't remember specifically what I did, but it worked. If you mess up, it's not the end of the world being PVC is cheap, but you can build a complete cage using 10 pipes with only a little left over if you make no mistakes.

In my post above I covered how to make the door hinges using the 1"x1"x3/4" PVC T's. You will need a Dremel or similar tool using a round sanding bit to take away some of the inside material to allow it to slide over the 3/4" elbow.

Cage-Parts.png

Looks great. What material are you planning on using for the screening and method of attatchment?

Great work, looks awesome! Can’t wait to see the finished product.

I just used wood for my outdoor enclosure, but I can see a real benefit to using a more weather resistant material like pvc.

Looks great. What material are you planning on using for the screening and method of attatchment?
My original plan was to use poultry mesh because I liked the idea of letting more sunlight into the cage. But then realized that there are lightning bugs where I live which are poisonous, so I need something that keeps insects out. Also had concerns of his tongue hitting the poultry mesh and possibly getting injured. I decided to go with fiberglass window screen secured with zip ties. I am considering wrapping it around the back, from door to door, to avoid having to zip tie it at every corner, this way it will be easier to remove the screen if I want to break the cage down. I plan to do it this weekend but haven't settled on a plan yet. May also zip tie only the front and back panels and figure out some removable plan for the sides, possibly velcro, to allow easier break down.

Great work, looks awesome! Can’t wait to see the finished product.

I just used wood for my outdoor enclosure, but I can see a real benefit to using a more weather resistant material like pvc.
Thank you! Yeah, I am hoping to make this last, I am considering using it indoors for the winter being it's much larger than my ReptiBreeze XL. I have been itching for a cage wider/deeper than 24"/24".

My original plan was to use poultry mesh because I liked the idea of letting more sunlight into the cage. But then realized that there are lightning bugs where I live which are poisonous, so I need something that keeps insects out. Also had concerns of his tongue hitting the poultry mesh and possibly getting injured. I decided to go with fiberglass window screen secured with zip ties. I am considering wrapping it around the back, from door to door, to avoid having to zip tie it at every corner, this way it will be easier to remove the screen if I want to break the cage down. I plan to do it this weekend but haven't settled on a plan yet. May also zip tie only the front and back panels and figure out some removable plan for the sides, possibly velcro, to allow easier break down.

Thank you! Yeah, I am hoping to make this last, I am considering using it indoors for the winter being it's much larger than my ReptiBreeze XL. I have been itching for a cage wider/deeper than 24"/24".
Would like to see pictures of screening when completed and listen to any comments about attatchment you may have. I am currently using a portable roll around cage I built for outside time but going to build a larger more permanent enclosure outside.

Nice, I was just talking to my wife about doing something like this before the whole covid lock down happened. I was planning on using an eye hook latch to keep the door closed on my plans.

Something like this that won't blow open with the wind.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Stainle...VWwiICR2pFAbbEAQYCSABEgJShPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
It was/is a fun project. I bought a slide lock for now, but also considering the hook type of latch you linked above. I just was iffy on how to get that to remain in place being it is a screw going into a hollow tube whereas with the slick lock, I can do a nut + bolt attachment.

61AM7S2E32L._AC_UL320_SR320,320_.jpg

Back
Top Bottom