Outdoor PVC cage

RyanBRZ

Avid Member
I'm working on building an outdoor cage out of PVC pipe and poultry fencing. For those who have built one before, do you have to cement the joints, or am I ok just connecting all of the parts? I'd like to be able to break it down so I can move it inside during the winter. Maybe cement the front and back panels only, leaving the 3-foot connecting joints not cemented? I've never worked with PVC. Any input/advice is appreciated.

Here's a rough sketch and my part list. Looking to do 5 feet tall, 3 feet long, 4 feet wide. With a door on the front that is 4 feet tall from the top going down.
ChamCage.png Parts.PNG

I didn't cement anything, just connected. My cage is 2 years old now, about 10ft long by 8ft high by 3.5ft deep. Has survived through many storms and falling over countless times(with nothing in it weighing it down).

I would if it were me, PVC cement panels.

So like the top pieces PVC cemented, the sides PVC cemented (on 4 way crosses)

And then make it to where you can tear it down to panels. So the connection between the panels, comes apart.

But I tend to overdesign things lol.

Another idea but not as easy to break down. Would be to use PVC trim instead you can get 1x2s made of PVC, and then you can also get the 1/4 x 2 lattice trim.

I would build the cage like you would from 1x2s, with pvc instead and then use the lattice trim to cover where the screen mounts for a better looking setup that will last much longer than wood.

I think they have outside corner trim in PVC too, which could be used for the back and look better.

Last edited:
I just built a kayak rack out of PVC. We dry fit everything first and some of the pieces we can’t get a part even without glue! As others have said I would cement strategic, structural pieces, but you can probably get away with just using slips in the middle.

I’m about to do something similar around my outside tree planters. I think I’m going to use the 1x1 squares and screw it all together instead though. It will be attached to the planter which will give it more structural integrity. Trying to set up a foldaway door and I thought the square pieces would be easier to work with. Joints are expensive and add up.

So for cementing, what are you worried about? It falling apart?

Just adding more structural strength. So in case it gets knocked over or something. Or a racoon starts pulling on the chicken wire, ect.

Like I said I tend to overdesign, lol and worry about stuff that will likely never happen.

Yea, I was thinking for structural rigidity, so it doesn't crumble if it got knocked over. Or if something in the cage got knocked over it didn't fall apart with my cham inside.

Just adding more structural strength. So in case it gets knocked over or something. Or a racoon starts pulling on the chicken wire, ect.

I don't disagree with it. But if my giant piece of garbage that I built 2 years ago in a day is still standing while holding heavy hardware cloth, my feeling is it would not be necessary. We get intense storms here too. Obviously can't hurt, but if he wants in a way to tear down easy, might be best not to. You can support it in other ways if you must.

I am thinking cement the front panel, back panel, and door. the pieces that connect the front and back (3 foot joint) will be un-cemented. Maybe I will use a bungie cord to hold these together just in case.

My cage is huge and has fallen over many times. When the cham goes in I have a lot of heavy planters and such. Strongest storms don't even budge it. Just to be sure I added some heavy rocks to the bottom too.

I cemented each level. So horizontal pipes were cemented, but vertical pipes were just popped in. This was due to these crazy things called "doors" that large objects need to fit through after you build them. Also makes the cage collapsible if you need to transport it down the road.

I did not use the purple primer though, it doesnt need to be leak proof.

Do you guys (@jamest0o0 ) have any concerns about shooting through the mesh? I am planning to build a similar setup around my small fruit trees (chams can play but keeps squirrels from stealing fruit). I’m on the fence. Large screen makes it look like less of a cage, but I’m worried about the cham shooting bugs between the wires and getting their tongues stuck or wrapped around the wire.

@jamest0o0 how big are the holes in your hardware cloth? I'm aiming to let as much sun light in as possible while preventing him from getting out. Is your hardware cloth metal?

Found this stuff, but the holes are a little smaller than Id like. The metal fencing has bigger holes with thinner material that would let more light through, just not sure if it's ok to use.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NPWJ8QK/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_i_fVYREbC5R5P7V

I believe mine is half inch plastic coated hardware cloth. Large enough for a dubia to squeeze through. I'm putting mosquito net over it this year though to keep lightning bugs out and to keep feeders in. Was thinking I'd hatch out bsf and bottleflies in there.

Do you guys (@jamest0o0 ) have any concerns about shooting through the mesh? I am planning to build a similar setup around my small fruit trees (chams can play but keeps squirrels from stealing fruit). I’m on the fence. Large screen makes it look like less of a cage, but I’m worried about the cham shooting bugs between the wires and getting their tongues stuck or wrapped around the wire.

Was actually just thinking about this the other day. Especially with the mosquito net on the outside. Without there I didn't see any indication that he'd try shooting outside of the cage. I do remember one time I was putting a roach through and he went for it so fast, he got it out of my hands through the screen.

I wonder if regular window screen would be better. Not ideal for uvb, but better for the tongue and insects

Back
Top Bottom