Outdoor PVC cage

I think the concern of more UVB, is likely not needed.

I dont think in the wild, chams are basking in full afternoon sun. With UVI of 13,14,15 ect.

The forest species are receiving dappled light through the canopy, they are not being exposed to the full UV. Panthers and Velieds, likely retire into shader areas of the tree/plant as the UV index raises, which happens pretty early in the day.

Chameleons are placed into Ferguson Zone 2, which is partial basker, partial sun. They are not sitting in full sun UV, like a Beardie would, they are receiving UV through the canopy. They may be high in the tree, at 10-20ft, but thats not full sun or UV when its a 50ft canopy.

Your cutting your UV, using screen is still stronger than a UV light indoors would be, and likely much stronger than they would like, which is fine they will seek shade, but I wouldnt worry about cutting some of the UV.

I think widnow screen is too thin and very easy to tear. I wouldnt trust it. I watch my guys pretty closely on the indoor range to ensure they dont climb the window screens. Im more worried about small tears and aesthetics indoors... but outdoors I think other wildlife can easily tear thru itC as can debris in a storm. I’d be making my outdoor enclosures predator proof, and window screen wont cut it.

I just dropped a broom and it put a nice hole in one of my window screens. That being said, I get 2-3 uvi thru the screen on the indoor range on a sunny day on a south facing window. I havent seen more than 3ish uvi yet outside in md, so its pretty good IMO.

I think widnow screen is too thin and very easy to tear. I wouldnt trust it. I watch my guys pretty closely on the indoor range to ensure they dont climb the window screens. Im more worried about small tears and aesthetics indoors... but outdoors I think other wildlife can easily tear thru itC as can debris in a storm. I’d be making my outdoor enclosures predator proof, and window screen wont cut it.

I just dropped a broom and it put a nice hole in one of my window screens. That being said, I get 2-3 uvi thru the screen on the indoor range on a sunny day on a south facing window. I havent seen more than 3ish uvi yet outside in md, so its pretty good IMO.

I was just assuming he meant window screen over the hardware cloth. Would definitely not trust anything that a raccoon could tear through. Those things are beasts... yet I also think they're awesome lol

My cage would be a daytime only cage while being supervised, no plans on keeping him outside while I'm not home/hanging in the backyard.

Even still i think an adult cham could tear window screen. Id go for something a little tougher
By window screen I meant stuff equivalent to what's on my Repti-Breeze. Debating doing both poultry fence and screen though. Worried about a bird not noticing the screen and come barreling down into the cage, aiming for my chameleon.

By window screen I meant stuff equivalent to what's on my Repti-Breeze. Debating doing both poultry fence and screen though. Worried about a bird not noticing the screen and come barreling down into the cage, aiming for my chameleon.

Ah gotcha. Maybe can get away with just reinforcing the top?

I'm torn on what to do. Let me know your thoughts.

1. 3 layers, from inside going out: wooden lattice to prevent losing nails in the screen (I have this on my inside cage) -> metal window screen -> hardware cloth. This would pretty much make it safe to keep him out overnight, but I wouldn't.
2. Poultry mesh only, using mesh that has no sharp edges in the holes, so if his tongue does scrape along the hole, there will be no, or less risk of, injury. This would be day-time only.

aluminum screen will stand up to most non raptor birds but not raccoons, starving cats and rats.
If I use aluminum screen (option 1), it will be in combination with hardware mesh on the outside. The chameleon would only be in this during the day, majority of the time while I'm home with him.

I have an outdoor cage with a 1/4 inch black coated hardware cloth. Sadly I haven't been able to find it anywhere and someone else built the cage. It won't hold crickets in but it's outdoors so. I'm confident my cham is protected.

Here is my first build for my adult male. 3ftx5ft. I used aluminum screen with 3/4 inch pipes and secured with zip ties. I didn’t do a build thread or take pics as I built it. I had a lot of problems with the bottom so right now it’s just a corrugated pvc sheet so the bottom doesn’t get too hot. I’m still tweaking the inside but it’s secure. I have moved my Cham into it already.
15AA8EBC-C124-496B-AB80-B48DE246335E.jpeg
708C7D4A-1914-44EE-95FE-38F43D82DC44.jpeg
201AA528-EF1E-4B65-BF31-2D5700A54878.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom