Outdoor enclosure plant choices and second thoughts.

Multivitamins

Chameleon Enthusiast
I recently got motivated to finish a project that I had abandoned for some time.
Hope to spitball some plant ideas.

Working on an outdoor planter box enclosure. The box is simple and follows the chameleon academy layout. It fits a 2*2*4 reptibreeze enclosure on top of it and gives me the option of leaving my panther outside when the weather is prime. We are in San Diego so I can do a good stretch of the year outdoors once the cage grows in.

20220306_173140.jpg

The planter box has locking casters / wheels on it so I can reposition it as needed for lighting control. And I'll be using an old screen enclosure that already has dragon ledges on the walls so planting it shouldnt be too hard. Or so I thought until I started thinking about the plants to use

I wanted to go with a common jasmine at first as it can tolerate the sun and temps that we get. It flowers and smells good and it can fill out the enclosure pretty well. But at the nursery today I came across the stephanotis aka Madagascar Jasmine. I ended up buying the Stephanotis. I really like this plant and almost considering redoing my indoor enclosure to feature the stephanotis vs using it outdoors.

I had some thoughts on putting a schefflera or a larger croton or maybe a dracaena in as a center piece and having the vine work it's way around the cage I just don't know how full it will get. I'd like this to be densely planted so that it provides shade and shelter for the chameleon and adds a nice visual aspect to the yard.

I have several pothos that could be added in as well for filler during the vines grow in period but am not certain they will enjoy the direct sunlight as they are thriving inside currently.

I also found a plant known as the mandavilla at the local nursery. that was recommended on the forum by @DonKeesh who has some absolutely lovely outdoor setups that helped inspire me to complete this project.

I guess I could wait for my next paycheck and scoop that too if it would work better. I don't feel like the Madagascar Jasmine will go to waste I'm just not sure if it'll be better suited for my indoor enclosure.

I also have some goldfish plants, Hoya, pitcher plants, tillandsia air plants, a few song of India (a dracaena type plant), inch plants / tradescantia available and already growing. Maybe I can find some complementary plants to supplement things

I just feel like I'm either over thinking this and the Madagascar jasmine aka stephanotis
Will do just fine or I'm overlooking a better plant choice that would provide better coverage and fill in quicker.

The Madagascar jasmine has two main vines and they are on a bamboo post and reach about 5ft tall at the moment.

20220306_190641.jpg

I guess I could try to do a centerpiece and one of the vine type plants to fill it in.

I know folks like hibiscus but can struggle with light this is going to be an outdoor set up so should I shoot my shot on that instead.

I could find a nice schefflera or perhaps an umbrella tree at a shop (had an umbrella tree but it's on the struggle bus.)

I found a 2-3 ft tall croton that I felt would be a lovely center piece but worry about the water and light needs contrasting with other plants that might go in.

Sorry for rambling
Anyway let's talk plants help talk some sense into me

Mandevillas are poisonous to humans and some other animals...so I wouldn't use them myself.
Roger that.
I was originally going to get a regular jasmine , I've seen them used on the chameleon academy but then came across the stephanotis and was compelled to get it.

I know passion fruit vines are also used but Ive noticed how sticky some variety get and they attract a lot of pests so I will avoid using it in my enclosure.

Roger that.
I was originally going to get a regular jasmine , I've seen them used on the chameleon academy but then came across the stephanotis and was compelled to get it.

I know passion fruit vines are also used but Ive noticed how sticky some variety get and they attract a lot of pests so I will avoid using it in my enclosure.
Whatever you use, you will definitely have to post pics of your success to inspire some of us. :)

I'll do my best to take some photos and get a progress post. Just so cautious because we do get some full sun beating down in the yard here so I don't want to kill a plant that would be best suited indoor

Best case scenario it thrives and I get some cuttings to propagate and can have my indoor and outdoor enclosure with this vine going strong. I'm going to remove a small and far from thriving schefflera if and when it happens. And wrap all the branches with the vines they seem very trainable. Somewhat like hoyas.

Crotons look dope. But I’ve read they need 60-70% humidity to thrive.

Also there’s some outdoor hibiscus bushes down my street. They look awesome during summer and spring but during fall n winter they look like a manzanilla tree🥴

That jasmine looks nice tho.👍🏼

Crotons look dope. But I’ve read they need 60-70% humidity to thrive.

Also there’s some outdoor hibiscus bushes down my street. They look awesome during summer and spring but during fall n winter they look like a manzanilla tree🥴

That jasmine looks nice tho.👍🏼
I've had a less common variety of croton in my indoor enclosure and haven't gotten it to thrive. I just recently saw a tall tree type one that really had the wow factor. I would be very upset with myself if I killed it. It would be a nice center piece as they don't grow at an exponential rate from what I've gathered

@Multivitamins so glad you were inspired to try a planter box outdoor setup. For me outdoor keeping is the ultimate joy of this hobby. As for mandavilla being poisonous I have not personally heard that or had any negative experience using them for the last two summers. I have a panther so less of a worry but if trying mandavilla with a veiled it may require more caution. Our chameleon overlord Bill uses mandavilla in some of his outdoor cages.

https://chameleonacademy.com/mandevilla-chameleon-psychology/

@Multivitamins so glad you were inspired to try a planter box outdoor setup. For me outdoor keeping is the ultimate joy of this hobby. As for mandavilla being poisonous I have not personally heard that or had any negative experience using them for the last two summers. I have a panther so less of a worry but if trying mandavilla with a veiled it may require more caution. Our chameleon overlord Bill uses mandavilla in some of his outdoor cages.

https://chameleonacademy.com/mandevilla-chameleon-psychology/
listened to that last night before bed. I'm just a little overwhelmed and cautious. I want the outdoor enclosure to grow in before using it but am just having second thoughts on the stephanotis because I think it will take quite some time to fill and may prefer the conditions of the indoor enclosure.

I hoped to use the outdoor aka summer home as a viable housing for a week or two once ready so that I can overhaul much of the indoor setup. fine-tuning deep cleaning and needed plant care and soil amendments.

I am going to speak with some employees at the local nursery and pick their brains for growth rate or at least some plants with similar care sets so an ecosystem can develop until temps are suitable for my Panther to be outside. at 50$ I just don't want to kill the plant

I saw Bills jackson set up with jasmine and was thinking of going that route its cheap in comparison to the stephanotis and mandavilla and durable in the southern California summers ... plus the blooms and fragrance is a big win just very indecisive about everything.

I want ALL the plants hahahah

I just feel like I'm either over thinking this and the Madagascar jasmine aka stephanotis
The Madagascar Jasmine is beautiful and perfect for a chameleon enclosure, been using it for over a year. But, it´s a slow grower....that a thing to consider. In my enclosure it grows once a year and then stagnate for months. I think, it´s a temperature thing, they like heat!

https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/madagascar-jasmin-the-perfect-living-vine.181527/

@Multivitamins the mandavilla is a quick grower but I still had to rely on a big pothos for shade and plant cover until the mandavilla fully grew in. I think whichever plant you choose it will be almost mid summer until it fills in. You may want to consider a pothos or something mounted up high in cage you can rely on for shade until your jasmine or whichever plant you choose fills in. You can also use shade cloth on top of cage if needed.

The Madagascar Jasmine is beautiful and perfect for a chameleon enclosure, been using it for over a year. But, it´s a slow grower....that a thing to consider. In my enclosure it grows once a year and then stagnate for months. I think, it´s a temperature thing, they like heat!

https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/madagascar-jasmin-the-perfect-living-vine.181527/
That's good to hear cause it'll be a hot summer in San Diego !

@Multivitamins the mandavilla is a quick grower but I still had to rely on a big pothos for shade and plant cover until the mandavilla fully grew in. I think whichever plant you choose it will be almost mid summer until it fills in. You may want to consider a pothos or something mounted up high in cage you can rely on for shade until your jasmine or whichever plant you choose fills in. You can also use shade cloth on top of cage if needed.
I've got some good pothos cuttings taking root and two in soil already I'll definitely start getting them used to full sun and eventually toss them into the set up definitely going to purchase some shade cloth to make sure they don't get roasted.

The yard has a decent size tree for dappled shade so I can use that to my advantage as well to beat mid day heat if it's a scorcher

Thank you to everyone who weighs in and helps me make up my mind. I'm going to try to pick up some overtime and make it so if I buy or need to replace a plant I won't be as upset.

I'm almost as excited to rework my indoor enclosure as I am to establish my outdoor one.

Are there any specific precautions for pest management when keeping the outdoor enclosure. Scale seems to be somewhat common here. I'll mainly be feeding from hand or cup and don't plan to leave any food or feeders in the cage. Hope to get my spring tail culture going strong and add a proper clean up crew to keep the soil happy.

Are there any specific precautions for pest management when keeping the outdoor enclosure. Scale seems to be somewhat common here. I'll mainly be feeding from hand or cup and don't plan to leave any food or feeders in the cage. Hope to get my spring tail culture going strong and add a proper clean up crew to keep the soil happy.
I struggled with aphids in the early summer. Too small to be prey for adult pardalis. I would just manually remove the vine they were on and eventually went away. What was interesting were the ants that were symbiotic with the aphids herding them around. But once the aphids we're gone the ants were gone also. I didn't add anything to the soil to make bioactive but figured local bugs would find their way in. I know Florida has fire ants so those could be a major issue unlike our docile Kentucky ants haha. Also I have seen other people's outdoor cages raided by rats that can hurt or kill the chameleon so stay alert.

All right so it's been a little while and the mandavilla vine has gone into bloom I has red flowers

I've installed branches to support the vines growth and allow easy access to the shaded areas
I've got some screen shade cloth to help make sure both the chameleon and plants don't get scorched

have temperature / humidity probes throughout the enclosure used hand mister and diy dripper for humidity and drinking water

I added isopods and springtails after the mandavilla was planted

And then I released several mantid ooths I still see them on patrol now and then

In addition to the mandavilla vine which is effectively the centerpiece I've added

1 hoya that was in a windowsill for a while but over the past week I've had it outside trying to acclimate it more natural bright light and hope that it takes well to the enclosure.

1Nematanthus hybrid aka black gold it's a goldfish plant with dark redish to black hues. Same bright orange flower

I also decided to try one of my nepenthes plants mounted up front mostly for my enjoyment but also with the hope of it snacking on any buggy visitors that the chameleon doesn't eat. Not likely to be a pest control measure again Mostly for my enjoyment.

On the base I also planted a plant that I got for free Mini Monstera, single 3-4 ft shoot it had been slightly sun damaged and lost some leaves I took a healthy cutting to propagate and figured why not give it a shot out here.
Im trying hard to work my plants into the enclosures I have too many houseplants 🙃

The outdoor enclosure is coming along nicely but still needs time to grow in for him to take more than field trips into.
Going to see how these do and take it from there only going to see warmer temps so I'll figure out the perfect shade cloth set up as summer progresses

Putting a nepenthes into his indoor enclosure while he's outside while there is still sun

Attachments

• 20220420_160504.jpg
    20220420_160504.jpg
    335.3 KB · Views: 109
  • 20220420_160902.jpg
    20220420_160902.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 112
  • 20220420_160421.jpg
    20220420_160421.jpg
    328.6 KB · Views: 110
  • signal-2022-04-20-15-22-30-000.jpg
    signal-2022-04-20-15-22-30-000.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 111
Looks awesome.... I think you have the diplandenia variety of mandevilla that is more of a trailing plant and may not grow up the cage as you desire. Diplandenia have small leaves and true mandevilla have large leaves. They both should work but will have different growth patterns.

I just love your project! I have fallen very fond of swiss cheese plants. They have large leaves for shade and sturdy stalks that rarely break. They also grow well and are easy to care for. I have had a leaf burn by being directly under the basking light but direct sun may be ok. Since you have the space, you might want to consider a rubber tree plant. I have one potted outside and it grows great and my veiled loves climbing in it as it can take the weight. As a matter of fact, most of my branches in in my 2x2x4 are from a rubber tree. you can find ones that are bent and tapered and great for creating a jungle gym. Keep us posted with pics.

Back
Top Bottom