Outdoor enclosure ideas

Beman

Social Media Manager
Staff member
Hey everyone! I really want to do an outdoor area for Beman. I am not feeling like I could take on a wood frame enclosure due to my total lack of building skills and tools.
We live in a very damp area so I am also concerned with the wood breaking down from exposure to so much water. Also we rent so it would need to be something I could take apart should we move.

Has anyone used like a big parrot cage or one of these reptibreeze iguanariums? https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petco...nd-enclosures/zoo-med-reptibreeze-iguanarium# They are 36x18x48 I hate the price on it but I do like that it is strong and the big birds would not be able to get to him.

I am trying to think of other idea's. I want to put hibiscus in it with tons of branches.... :)

All ideas are welcome! HELP ME :hilarious:

My plan is to use PVC for a frame. Super easy to work with and cut/glue. It is also very light. You could probably connect it without glue as it can be a pretty tight fit (especially if wrapped in wire/zip ties), which would make it easy to disassemble if you move.

My plan is to use PVC for a frame. Super easy to work with and cut/glue. It is also very light. You could probably connect it without glue as it can be a pretty tight fit (especially if wrapped in wire/zip ties), which would make it easy to disassemble if you move.
Right but I have a really wimpy hand saw so wouldn't I need something that could cut right through? How would you do a door?

I seen this really cool “cat” house on Craig’s last week that was an all screen shed. Gave me ideas for my outdoor

Right but I have a really wimpy hand saw so wouldn't I need something that could cut right through? How would you do a door?
Even a wimpy hand saw will cut pvc. Actually we usually just use our handsaws all the time as we don’t feel like taking out other tools :p

For a door you can still scew hinges on round pvc (make a door frame from pvc too). They sell solid pvc dowels, as well, that are square. I cut them up to use as spacers for the isopod bins. Cut with a handsaw in less than 30 seconds.

Even a wimpy hand saw will cut pvc. Actually we usually just use our handsaws all the time as we don’t feel like taking out other tools :p

For a door you can still scew hinges on round pvc (make a door frame from pvc too). They sell solid pvc dowels, as well, that are square. I cut them up to use as spacers for the isopod bins. Cut with a handsaw in less than 30 seconds.
Thanks hun! Ok well I am going to the hardware store and look around. The nurseries still don’t have hibiscus in yet so I have some time to figure this out.

pvc, will be expensive tho, corners add up, And isnt that strong, the pvc growtents are garbage for example. I like your birdcage idea to be honest, nice and strong, and most of work is done for ya. I know they are expensive too, but be worth it, and can always sell it later if you change your mind. Just my thoughts, im not that bright tho lol

That bird cage is probably good. May be a bit of a stretch to get him out if he says no but a lil footstool would help with that.

pvc, will be expensive tho, corners add up, And isnt that strong, the pvc growtents are garbage for example. I like your birdcage idea to be honest, nice and strong, and most of work is done for ya. I know they are expensive too, but be worth it, and can always sell it later if you change your mind. Just my thoughts, im not that bright tho lol
Yeah I looked up prices and it would add up as well...

Being a carpenter, and having all the tools does help tho Ive built multiple cages and enclosures in my day. Both screen and glass, I usually use 2x3" with dado joints, easy as pie.

Being a carpenter, and having all the tools does help tho Ive built multiple cages and enclosures in my day. Both screen and glass, I usually use 2x3" with dado joints, easy as pie.
Kinda feel like you just started speaking a foreign language there at the end ! :hilarious:

Pvc is a little more expensive but maintenance free and easy to work with. Its very sturdy - I use it for my kayak rack (among other things) and it can easily hold 6 kayaks.

Back
Top Bottom