Outdoor Enclosure Help for Jacksons and Beardie

kokom05lb

Good afternoon

As many of you know, 5 months ago I had to re-home my veileds and our corn snake, due to family issues. With the re-homing all my custom enclosures, lights, vines, etc etc. Now 5 months later I'm replacing everything I sold.

I have a 18" fixture with 2 uvb lights in it. The lights I'm afraid are too old to possibly use. (I know, go buy some new lights... but looking to save up for a 36" acradia however you spell it.) So I'm going to do is put the boys outside between the hours of 7am to 11:30am, then 6pm to 8pm. I'm thinking about using the single plant enclosure ideal with 2 hibiscus.

Now my beardie I'm pretty sure that he could stand the heat, but he needs an enclosure. I'm kinda stumped though. He doesn't move around much and the porch is really small. Anyone have any suggestions?

Good afternoon

As many of you know, 5 months ago I had to re-home my veileds and our corn snake, due to family issues. With the re-homing all my custom enclosures, lights, vines, etc etc. Now 5 months later I'm replacing everything I sold.

I have a 18" fixture with 2 uvb lights in it. The lights I'm afraid are too old to possibly use. (I know, go buy some new lights... but looking to save up for a 36" acradia however you spell it.) So I'm going to do is put the boys outside between the hours of 7am to 11:30am, then 6pm to 8pm. I'm thinking about using the single plant enclosure ideal with 2 hibiscus.

Now my beardie I'm pretty sure that he could stand the heat, but he needs an enclosure. I'm kinda stumped though. He doesn't move around much and the porch is really small. Anyone have any suggestions?

You could build a simple enclosure out of plywood with a mesh screen top and a vent or two in a side. Beardies are pretty strong diggers, climbers and jumpers so I wouldn't trust them to a light weight screen mesh cage only. What about a large truckbox or tote? As long as he'll get some direct sun exposure and have a place to get out of the heat.

Unfortunately, the Jackson's will definitely NOT be able to tolerate the heat
and will not be able to tolerate the lack of humidity, either.
You may have heard of people in California whose Jackson's live outdoors--but those people are in the cooler, humid coastal areas.

A Jackson's natural habitat is on a cool, humid mountainside.

They just cannot adapt to such a drastically different environment.
Please read more about Jackson's requirements here:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/jacksons/

A Veiled would be a far better choice in your climate, unless the Jackson's was always kept indoors in an airconditioned and humidified room.

Beardies are on the opposite end of the spectrum from Jackson's.
Beardies are very hardy and adaptable.
I've heard Beardies being called "teflon lizards" because of this.
Jackson's are more delicate than even the average cham, so please seriously reconsider your choice.

I don't know if you were planning to house a cham with a Beardie but it can't safely be done.
The Beardie is higher up on the food chain than chameleons, so they can't share an enclosure.
A visual barrier between the chameleon and the Beardie is also needed in order to spare the chameleon from unnecessary added stress.

Back
Top Bottom