Outdoor caging ?

JamesB88

Established Member
Just a few concerns about outdoor caging.

It's my first time bringing my veiled male outside, he's 8 months old and I don't want to stress him too much.

I have a great indoor setup so I'm using one of my older cages for his outdoor setup. His outdoor cage only contains one umbrella plant, and a couple basking branches I wanted to keep it simple since his indoor cage has all the bells and whistles.

My concern is tempurature change. I bring him outside on the weekends when I'm home and I leave him out for a good 4-6 hrs at a time. My concern is his indoor cage is around 75 degrees ambient with a basking of 90-92 F, when I bring him outside it's usually around 75-80 -90 F depending on the weather. Could bringing him outside and back in with the change in temp like that be an issue. I've only brought him outside the past 2 weekends including today right now and he seems be acting normal, eating fine etc....I just don't want him to get an uri due to change in temps or have any other issues due to being outside.

What should my main concerns be for keeping him outside?

Any pointers or tips on outdoor caging would be helpful as well. Thanks (y)

I put my cham in the shade when it gets to hot. I don't think you would have problems with URI but im not 100% sure about that. My main concern when taking my cham outside is people that my want to steal him or play with him, and birds sitting on his cage and scaring him. I haven't had any of those happen yet though.

Thanks for the input, and as far as people stealing my guy he's on my balcony second story up so if someone wanted to take him they'd have to scale the wall lol. And I've yet to see any birds that are interested in him hopefully they don't notice!

@JamesB88 A male veiled, correct?

The temperature changes are not an issue. They don't need the ambient temperatures to be very high to warm up in the sun. They can get pretty warm basking in sunlight even on very cool days.

I have a male veiled I keep outside much of the year and I've found he really is not happy when the ambient temps are over 90F (my summer temps get up over 100F regularly in the summer).

Over heating can be an issue, especially when your cage is out in bright sunlight. It is suprising how hot a cage can get even. The black metal framing and screen holds the heat.

I like to put my chameleons, even the veiled, under a tree in dappled light. That allows them to bask in bits of sunlight to regulate their temperature without the cage overheating.

I also run misters for hours at a time. Outside I use an Arctic Cove patio cooler that hooks up to a garden hose.

Hope that helps.

@JamesB88 A male veiled, correct?

The temperature changes are not an issue. They don't need the ambient temperatures to be very high to warm up in the sun. They can get pretty warm basking in sunlight even on very cool days.

I have a male veiled I keep outside much of the year and I've found he really is not happy when the ambient temps are over 90F (my summer temps get up over 100F regularly in the summer).

Over heating can be an issue, especially when your cage is out in bright sunlight. It is suprising how hot a cage can get even. The black metal framing and screen holds the heat.

I like to put my chameleons, even the veiled, under a tree in dappled light. That allows them to bask in bits of sunlight to regulate their temperature without the cage overheating.

I also run misters for hours at a time. Outside I use an Arctic Cove patio cooler that hooks up to a garden hose.

Hope that helps.
Yes this helps a lot I was also concerned about misting I planned on running another nozzle to my mistking and really letting it run for a good hour at least once it get it set up.

I live in Michigan and rn the temps are mid 70s some days it gets up to mid 80s and as far as him being in direct sunlight, half of his cage has a shadow cast on it and in shade due too the railing on my balcony I planned to add another umbrella plant to add more shade and foliage.

Thanks for the solid input much appreciated

Yes this helps a lot I was also concerned about misting I planned on running another nozzle to my mistking and really letting it run for a good hour at least once it get it set up.

I live in Michigan and rn the temps are mid 70s some days it gets up to mid 80s and as far as him being in direct sunlight, half of his cage has a shadow cast on it and in shade due too the railing on my balcony I planned to add another umbrella plant to add more shade and foliage.

Thanks for the solid input much appreciated

Don't worry about it being cold--they can get pretty warm in direct sunlight. Worry more about overheating. Everything will absorb heat from sunlight. You can cook him in cool weather. Good luck. He'll love the sun.

Back
Top Bottom