Attachments

• 95422638-727C-46A1-AF14-8E06222E88CA.png
    95422638-727C-46A1-AF14-8E06222E88CA.png
    891.6 KB · Views: 70
  • 9D23BA91-2B4A-417C-9E04-8ABF2ED7AABA.png
    9D23BA91-2B4A-417C-9E04-8ABF2ED7AABA.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 85
Sorry, forgot to add the photos!

You rock. I was just approved for the group, so I'll check it all out while I'm waiting at the vet. He's currently only about five to six inches long, minus the tail. So I think I have a couple of months to decide and execute my best option.

I second (or third) the double cage. Ousts are longer than parsons. I was shoe horning mine into a reptibreeze XL by 9 months old. I lasted a few months with a giant ferret cage next to the reptibreeze XL and a 42" arcadia draped across both.

At some point i just gave up and made a free range and kept the door shut in the small bed room. His daily routine was to wake up in his 6ft tall hibiscus, sunned for an hour, then went to the window for an hour, then made a complete lap around the perimeter of the room lookin for rookie ousts invading. He would do this 3-4 times during the day before bedding back down on the hibiscus.

Not sure how i would mimic that, maybe a 4ft by 4ft by 72" tall pot grow tent, at least then the 20"+ male wouldnt have to just spin in a 2-2.5ft cage.

I second (or third) the double cage. Ousts are longer than parsons. I was shoe horning mine into a reptibreeze XL by 9 months old. I lasted a few months with a giant ferret cage next to the reptibreeze XL and a 42" arcadia draped across both.

At some point i just gave up and made a free range and kept the door shut in the small bed room. His daily routine was to wake up in his 6ft tall hibiscus, sunned for an hour, then went to the window for an hour, then made a complete lap around the perimeter of the room lookin for rookie ousts invading. He would do this 3-4 times during the day before bedding back down on the hibiscus.

Not sure how i would mimic that, maybe a 4ft by 4ft by 72" tall pot grow tent, at least then the 20"+ male wouldnt have to just spin in a 2-2.5ft cage.

It's a large room, and we could set up a free range system around the perimeter, with large plants/small trees near the windows, plus his lighting. However, the free range thing... is the room empty of anything else, or they keep to the plants and vines? I just know I'd find mine in some weird spot... or worse, not find him.

This is Keith's from the FB group that was mentioned. Reckon this will come close to large enough?

Attachments

• 43255870_253934578797875_4227110330301415424_n.jpg
    43255870_253934578797875_4227110330301415424_n.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 61
It's a large room, and we could set up a free range system around the perimeter, with large plants/small trees near the windows, plus his lighting. However, the free range thing... is the room empty of anything else, or they keep to the plants and vines? I just know I'd find mine in some weird spot... or worse, not find him.

Its hard to lose an ousts...

Its a standard room with normal people stuff. Cloths in in the closets, stuff on shelves, furniture that ousts can crawl under. The only problem i ever had was when he first started free ranging, he would fall in any box/tote that didnt have a lid. So i would come home to an oust in a box. By 4pm every day he would make his way back to his tree. I would never find him randomly sleeping in spots or hiding under dressers etc.

This is Keith's from the FB group that was mentioned. Reckon this will come close to large enough?

That would be a 24x 48 x 48 cage. A male oust is going to be 2ft long and 600g, mine was a runt at 450g. I would not recommend a cage smaller than 3ft on one side, because again, its only going to be able to pace back and forth in a cage that is only 1 animal length deep. An technically ousts want more room than a parsons, because they are more territorial and will patrol farther.

Im going to throw this out again, have you thought about modifying a 36x36 or 48x48x72 grow tent?

https://www.mars-hydro.com/grow-tent/4-x4-in-door-grow-tent

mars has the the thickest material on the market unless you want to spend double for a gorilla tent. If they can contain a couple of 12 pound tegus that dig, they can certainly hold a 1-2lb oust. You just have to learn to sew / glue to get some windows.

That would be a 24x 48 x 48 cage. A male oust is going to be 2ft long and 600g, mine was a runt at 450g. I would not recommend a cage smaller than 3ft on one side, because again, its only going to be able to pace back and forth in a cage that is only 1 animal length deep. An technically ousts want more room than a parsons, because they are more territorial and will patrol farther.

Im going to throw this out again, have you thought about modifying a 36x36 or 48x48x72 grow tent?

https://www.mars-hydro.com/grow-tent/4-x4-in-door-grow-tent

mars has the the thickest material on the market unless you want to spend double for a gorilla tent. If they can contain a couple of 12 pound tegus that dig, they can certainly hold a 1-2lb oust. You just have to learn to sew / glue to get some windows.

I'm not a huge fan of the aesthetic. I think my best, and perhaps easiest option is to build.

Something like Jann had on her porch. I easily have 12 - 15 feet of open wall, with plenty of room on each side. and could bring it out four or five feet from the wall.

Four deep by ten wide would be ok? 10 foot ceilings, so we can build six feet high and put potted trees throughout. There's still plenty of room for lights on top at that height.

That's a lot of length for UV. Do I need it the entire length, or concentrate it near basking areas?

He wont currently cup feed, so I will have to work on that before using a new cage. Unless we want to do all screen. I was hoping to use the wire mesh.

I'm not a huge fan of the aesthetic. I think my best, and perhaps easiest option is to build.

Something like Jann had on her porch. I easily have 12 - 15 feet of open wall, with plenty of room on each side. and could bring it out four or five feet from the wall.

Four deep by ten wide would be ok? 10 foot ceilings, so we can build six feet high and put potted trees throughout. There's still plenty of room for lights on top at that height.

That's a lot of length for UV. Do I need it the entire length, or concentrate it near basking areas?

4x4 base is great, if you want to go bigger go for it, if its a male it will use it all. My base was 48 x 72, his tree got 1 3ft section on the bottom, and the beardy got the other. Then 3ft up i section off the cage again, so that the cham got the entire top.

It only needs to be as high as needed for the trees. The cham is going to hang out 90% of the time within a 2ft vertical area. So he might hang out at 4ft tall +- 1ft. So the cage does not have to be super tall, and that means you can hang lights to UV that 2-3ft area. My arcadia 6% gave a 3ft useful distance from the bulb. So at 3ft it was as strong as a T8 5.0@6", and 6" from the bulb it mimiced "shade" outside.

He wont currently cup feed, so I will have to work on that before using a new cage. Unless we want to do all screen. I was hoping to use the wire mesh.

Have you thought about "tub" feeding. I just put a black concrete mixed tub (2ftx3ft or something) with some sticks crossing over the top. Its only 6" deep so the cham can crawl out if it gets stuck. And its black so powdered feeders are high contrast.

Have you thought about "tub" feeding. I just put a black concrete mixed tub (2ftx3ft or something) with some sticks crossing over the top. Its only 6" deep so the cham can crawl out if it gets stuck. And its black so powdered feeders are high contrast.

I'll give it a try this weekend. During the week, it's feeders in, then off to work, so I wouldn't want it collecting water all day. This weekend, I can monitor it.

That is a great idea! :)

Back
Top Bottom